Völuspá» Forums » Variants

Subject: Catch up Mechanism and handycap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Rieder
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
I don't have much experience with the game yet. I played against myself today and one player was really far behind. He drew only low numbers and the other drew Odins and Thors.

So I established the rule. If you are more than 10 points behind, you can discard and redraw 2 tiles of your hand. Then you take your normal turn. It helps if you have e.g. to many of a kind (say 3 Jotunns).

Skady can help to get better tiles but usually you waste one turn. In a game that is so tight, you want to score every turn especially if you are last.

Second idea is a handycap. I can see a strong learning curve in this game. Probably hard to beat me for new players after a while. So, an option could be to limit my hand to 4 tiles.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb

But low tiles have skills that balance the game, dont you think?

Also sometimes it's risky play high tiles, by oportunides they can create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saxofaxo wrote:
Second idea is a handycap. I can see a strong learning curve in this game. Probably hard to beat me for new players after a while. So, an option could be to limit my hand to 4 tiles. What do you think?

In general I am not a fan of handicaps in any game.

More importantly (and this is a much more important point), handicaps keep people from learning the game properly.

One of the best ways to learn a game is regularly to play someone that is better than yourself and then reflect (hopefully with their help) on how one could improve their own performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with user Runcible Spoon on the handicap side.

Saxofaxo wrote:
... If you are more than 10 points behind, you can discard and redraw 2 tiles of your hand. Then you take your normal turn. It helps if you have e.g. to many of a kind (say 3 Jotunns). ...

I can see this suggestion being added as a one-shot for every player (like the Hell tile). One tile dealt to each at the start then, when played, you can discard 2 (or 3) tiles for new ones and then take your regular turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rieder
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
that sounds good to me. Its fair and people in the lead might not even have to use it.

I dont't understand how high tiles can create new opportunities for others? As I see it, the higher the tile played, the less of a chance for others to score more points from that row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.