Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just finished painting some minis. Can anybody that has experience painting recommend a good sealant that I can apply to the minis to keep the paint from chipping? I am currently using Testor's Spray Lacquer (clear coat), but im just not sure if it's going to do the job or not when I throw all the minis in a bag. Is there something you have used that works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Any matte varnish should work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The strongest way to seal minis is to use a paint on gloss varnish and then cover with a matte varnish (assuming you want a matte finish). Matte varnish alone can do the job, but will probably not be enough with lots of use or rough storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have rotated through a couple of different spray sealers before I finally took the advice of so many other painters and tried Testors Dullcote. Wow have I been happy with the results - great sealing and it doesn't distort the paint job you've worked so hard on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
sirchadofkent wrote:
The strongest way to seal minis is to use a paint on gloss varnish and then cover with a matte varnish (assuming you want a matte finish). Matte varnish alone can do the job, but will probably not be enough with lots of use or rough storage.

Gloss finish isn't any harder than matte.

Two coats of matte would work just as well as a coat of gloss and matte. If you paint it on, you're probably putting it on thicker than a spray can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't really anything that will protect them from damage if you just throw them in a bag. I have found that Golden (that's the company name) varnishes are quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Testors will be just fine for sealing against fingerprints and people touching your figures.

Nothing is going to protect them from you throwing them in a bag short of encasing them in clear resin.

You may find buying a couple of plano boxes and some foam a better investement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
I have rotated through a couple of different spray sealers before I finally took the advice of so many other painters and tried Testors Dullcote. Wow have I been happy with the results - great sealing and it doesn't distort the paint job you've worked so hard on.

I also use Testors Dullcote and have liked the results. I was less satisfied with others I had tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:
sirchadofkent wrote:

Gloss finish isn't any harder than matte.

Two coats of matte would work just as well as a coat of gloss and matte. If you paint it on, you're probably putting it on thicker than a spray can.

http://iwillnevergrowup.com/2014/03/28/hobby-tips-gloss-varn...

Apparently you are correct, however there are still merits to using gloss first and then a spray matte. Apparently it helps to avoid the dreaded "milky" effect that can happen in high humidity climates (Like where I live).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.