David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all! How are things going?

If you had to buy ONE game for mostly 2-player sessions would you get Suburbia or Russian Railroads?

I know both are ocmpletely different but I need to know which one is the best with 2 players!

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I own Russian Railroads and have played the ios app for Suburbia and I would go with Russian Railroads. The two-player game in that is very tight and works well. Of course, I'm a bit biased, since Russian Railroads is my favorite euro game as of late, and I wasn't too impressed with Suburbia (or at least the app). I'll just say this: when my wife and I played Russian Railroads for the first time, we immediately played again afterwards, which is something we rarely ever do for euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
cpugeek13 wrote:
I own Russian Railroads and have played the ios app for Suburbia and I would go with Russian Railroads. The two-player game in that is very tight and works well. Of course, I'm a bit biased, since Russian Railroads is my favorite euro game as of late, and I wasn't too impressed with Suburbia (or at least the app). I'll just say this: when my wife and I played Russian Railroads for the first time, we immediately played again afterwards, which is something we rarely ever do for euros.

I also played the Suburbia app and now have no desire to purchase it. It was boring and I could see it getting old very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and I like both. They both play well with two. Russian Railroads is more addicting in terms of play at first, but since it doesn't have a modular board set up, the burn out will be quicker with it. After 6 plays that initial engagement with RR is fading rather quickly. I also think it will stagnate faster with 2 players rather than 3 or 4 where there is some unpredictability in what the other players will do. An expansion adding some modular elements or new boards would really extend this game.

Suburbia is more of a slow burner. It didn't grab me quite as much at first but I think long term it's a better game and will stay fresher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Russian Railroads, but Suburbia is a keeper for me. It rewards creative thinking, especially if you get the expansion. It's simple to learn, but allows for deep strategies. My wife and I both really enjoy playing it together.

I'm not sure how well it's conveyed in the app, as others have mentioned above. But as a physical game, it's one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I haven't played Russian Railroads, but Suburbia is a keeper for me. It rewards creative thinking, especially if you get the expansion. It's simple to learn, but allows for deep strategies. My wife and I both really enjoy playing it together.

I'm not sure how well it's conveyed in the app, as others have mentioned above. But as a physical game, it's one of my favorites.

This. thumbsup

Also, Suburbia offers a couple different ways to play solo (official variants printed right there in the rule book) so there is some added flexibility there if you find yourself in a situation where you are without your 2nd player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Morgan
United States
Freedom
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Russian Railroads

i'm a fan of z-man games and this game has a very strong 2 player side of the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie (Juju) B.
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both work well for 2 players, but I prefer Russian Railroads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great tips all, many thanks! I'll start looking into it but RR seems to be a winner! I like the theme and the look of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Suchanek
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What theme? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian railroads is an amazing game! I'm not that impressed with Suburbia and if I didn't have the app that does the calculations for you I would most certainly never own any form of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surburbia is a snoozer. RR is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both but if you can have only one, get Russian Railroads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.