8 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Smash Global Ability (need clarification) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having trouble wrapping my brain around the global ability text on the Smash! basic action card.

Pay [fist]. Target blocked character deals no damage.

We decided that after the attackers and defenders were declared, that the attacking player could (after paying a fist energy) choose which defender the global ability would affect. That character would effectively have an attack value of zero for this attack stage.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If character B attacks, and character A blocks character B, then character A is `blocking', and character B is `blocked'.

The global ability lets you choose a creature that attacked and was blocked, and prevent the damage it would otherwise deal to the blocking creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Munsch
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you have it backwards. It's from defender's perspective, not attacker's. The target _blocked_ character deals no damage. Blocking characters are not themselves blocked, attackers are.

The defender should be naming an attacker who will deal no damage this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMangoDuck wrote:
I am having trouble wrapping my brain around the global ability text on the Smash! basic action card.

Pay [fist]. Target blocked character deals no damage.

We decided that after the attackers and defenders were declared, that the attacking player could (after paying a fist energy) choose which defender the global ability would affect. That character would effectively have an attack value of zero for this attack stage.

Is this correct?

When a card references "target character" that means that the player using the ability must select a specific character as the target of the effect, and that effect then applies to that character.

So when a defender uses the ability on "target character", the first thing THE DEFENDER must do is select a target. Once he has selected which blocked character is the target, that character deals no damage. Only an attacking character that has a blocker assigned to it is a "blocked character" and a valid target for this ability, so the person using this ability must choose an attacking character that has a blocker assigned to it (even if its not his character). The chosen character will deal no damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We really need an Official FAQ for this game quickly... so many little questions because of diverse powers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
We really need an Official FAQ for this game quickly... so many little questions because of diverse powers...

Actually I'm pretty impressed with the clarity of the rules in this game. I'm sure there are situations where we might need an FAQ, but most of it is pretty clear so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristiano Cozzolino
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The target must be an attacking character that has been blocked. But this doesn't mean that the player that activates the ability must be the defender. There could be cases in which the attacker may be willing to reduce inflicted damage depending on which opposing character has blocked (in case of special effect activated on the blocker for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elianto wrote:
The target must be an attacking character that has been blocked. But this doesn't mean that the player that activates the ability must be the defender. There could be cases in which the attacker may be willing to reduce inflicted damage depending on which opposing character has blocked (in case of special effect activated on the blocker for example).

I can see that happening.

Defender blocks an attacking character with Hulk because if Hulk takes damage he deals two damage to each opposing character.

Attacking Player wants to avoid this so he targets his attacking character (being blocked by Hulk) with Smash! so that Hulk can't take damage and thus preventing Hulk from dealing two damage to each of the Attacking Player's characters.

I do agree also that Smash! can only be used against an Attacking player's character. The reason being is that only the Attacker can have a character that is blocked. Defender's characters cannot be considered to be blocked because they are not attacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.