Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: A strategy card game with classic cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
erock brox
msg tools
Hi, I am brand new here and I am attempting to make my very first card game.

I didn't know exactly what section to post this in because it is a synopsis of the game as well as posting some problems that I'm trying to solve. So its a WIP card game.

My card game originated from being disappointed with some of the current card games done with classic cards.

For example; the game War. In that game players flip over their cards and compare them, whoever has the highest card wins and this is repeated until all cards are lost and are gained by the other person.

I'm not a big fan of this game because to me the game once dealt is already decided. There is no strategy or decision making or choices or anything. The winner is already decided once the cards are dealt even if neither player knows it.

So after being disappointed with some of the current games I set out to make my own. Because I wanted to maximize the availability of people playing the game I choose to use a standard deck of cards. Where...

Ace = 1
Jack = 11
Queen = 12
King = 13

I also have in mind a custom deck where the ace and face cards are replaced by the following numbers that you see above.

The games goes like this. There is a stack of cards on the table as well as a certain number of cards in each persons hand. The game so far is a two player game only. Players take turns trying to match a certain number that's on the table with the cards that are in their hands. The person who gets rid of all of their cards first wins.

So here is my problem. The players go back and forth trying to match the number on the table getting rid of their cards and I have allowed each player to be able to PASS if they want to or can't go on that turn.

So what I'm trying to figure out is this. If player 1 can go and lays down their cards and then player 2 can't go and passes and then player 1 can't go either and must pass too then who gets to go first now???

Does it go back to the player who was able to play last or does it just go to the other person?

And let me try and explain it a bit more. I have made another rule that if both people pass on the card on the table then a new card gets put on the table.

Like this:

Player 1 matches the card on the table
Now its players 2 turn
Player 2 cannot match the card on the table
Now it goes back to player 1
Player 1 cannot match the card on the table
A new card gets put on the table
Now, who's turn is it? Player 1 or Player 2?

The problem with going back to the person who went last is that its like going backwards in time. You have to remember who went last and that's hard because sometimes you forget.

The other problem is that I can't think of a way to figure out who goes first when playing the game like at the very beginning when you first deal out the cards. Anyone have any suggestions because I can't think of any.

It's still a work in progress so I still have to iron out a few other details, but the whole who's turn is it if both people pass thing is a real problem and if anyone has any ideas on how that should work out please feel free to post below.

Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:
Players take turns trying to match a certain number that's on the table with the cards that are in their hands.

Can you elaborate on this? If there is an 8 on the table, what card(s) can I play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By your description, the game doesn't appear to be any less luck-driven than War.

What strategic choices does a player have? Is there a benefit to Passing even when the player has a card or cards to play?

Have you considered melds, where instead of playing all one's 8's on an 8 card, one might play a straight on the table 8 using it at the top top or bottom of the sequence? By doing so, could that then change the card on the table by using the card on the opposite end of the straight?

How many cards does each player begin with? Can players draw cards when they pass, thus improving their odds that they can play cards on the next turn while still dealing with the fact that they have more cards to get rid off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some comments:
1) If you remove a card from the cards of the table, you should replace it.
2) If a person cannot match a card, what is the penalty? Do you draw a card?

I don't quite get what is "strategic" about this game; you either can match it or cannot match it; there are no choices in the matter here.

More strategic would be to have the cards that are "open" being matched by any combination of cards (be it 1,2, 3 or even more) that add up to the number of the card on the table. It will be pretty tough to get rid of those Kings, Queens and Jacks; perhaps count all of them as "11" rather than different numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erock brox
msg tools
Okay I will try and explain it a little more.

A standard deck is used and is equally divided into 4 piles.

1 pile goes to player 1
1 pile goes to player 2
1 pile goes to the table
1 pile isn't used at all and is set aside

Each player gets 13 cards. The pile that is assigned to the table is face down, but when the game starts the top card is then taken off and placed face up to the right hand side of the pile where it came from.

The game is an educational math card game for helping kids with their math skills and there is strategy in this game.

When the first player goes they have to "beat" the current card that is face up on the table with certain cards from their hand. Once this happens then its now player 2 turn to try and "beat" the same card on the table.

The goal is to get rid of all of the cards in your hand first.

Sometimes you "beat" the card on the table in a special way which makes the card on the table change. AKA a new card is taken off the table pile and then put on top of the current card that players are trying to beat.

Also when players beat the current card shown and can get rid of their cards, the cards are then placed into a discard pile off to the right of the face up card on the table.

The biggest problem I'm having is the logic of "who's turn is it when both people pass" thing.

I have allowed any player to pass at any time. Whether its because they can't beat the current card on the table or simply because they just don't feel like it.

But sometimes there is a card on the table and player 1 can't beat it and then player 2 can't beat it.... so then... who's turn is it when this happens.

So far I have been playing it where if both players can't beat the current card (meaning they pass) then a new card gets put face up on the table pile from the face down table pile and the player who then goes firs is the player who LAST beat the card on the table.

This is okay, but it sometimes becomes confusing because you have to remember who last beat the card on the table. So I'm trying to figure out how to make this better and improve on it.

I've considered having players pick up extra cards when they pass, but I'm just don't think this is the right direction for the game.

And I'm now thinking more on the lines of having it where instead of drawing a new card for the face up table card when both people pass that now its should be that the player who's turn it is gets to pick a card from their hand and lay that down on the table pile face up and have that as the card to beat.

I say this because often both players will just sit there saying pass... pass... pass... pass over and over again because they are waiting for a card to beat when instead the flow of the game would probably be better off if they get to discard one of their cards to avoid tons of passing from both players.

But the whole "who's turn is it" thing is still not really solved.

Basically its like this...

Player 1 beats the card on the table
Player 2 can't beat the card on the table (pass)
Player 1 now also can't beat the card on the table (pass)

Now, who goes??? Player 1 because they were the last person to beat the card on the table. Or does it just flip flop back and forth between players and now its player 2 turn?

That's what I'm trying to resolve here. So if anyone has any suggestions that would be of great help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Player 1 beats the card on the table
Player 2 can't beat the card on the table (pass)
Player 1 now also can't beat the card on the table (pass)

Now, who goes??? Player 1 because they were the last person to beat the card on the table. Or does it just flip flop back and forth between players and now its player 2 turn?

Seems to me that its player 2 turn. You just flip back-and-forth between players; in this case payer 1 was the last player to take a turn (and passed) so its now player 2 turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.