Subject: A good example of megagames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can't resist posting this excellent video from the guys at Shut Up & Sit Down about the most recent megagame, Watch the Skies! This will give you a good impression what megagames are all about and how much fun it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to try this! Looks like immense fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifford Mudd
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a LOT of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When he says the biggest problem is keeping track of what's going on, it struck a chord.

I played in one of these once and the lack of organization ultimately ruined it for me. "News" was posted by a Controller typing it into a spreadsheet that was projected on the wall, which meant we had to have one team member doing nothing but reading the wall, and every time he ran off to tell us something he missed whatever was being posted. There was no sense of time, in the time it took for a PM to make a call, entire countries were conquered...

I'd like to try it again, but with a turn based system. Say one hour = 6 months. With a 30 minute "break" between turns so teams could strategize. With a defined turn length, production, movement,

Else it's just a bunch of guys running around, the controllers quickly get swamped and there is no real strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Their spin on Virgin Queen

http://vimeo.com/50067007

Interesting that video in light of their experience with the megagame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
When he says the biggest problem is keeping track of what's going on, it struck a chord.

I played in one of these once and the lack of organization ultimately ruined it for me. "News" was posted by a Controller typing it into a spreadsheet that was projected on the wall, which meant we had to have one team member doing nothing but reading the wall, and every time he ran off to tell us something he missed whatever was being posted. There was no sense of time, in the time it took for a PM to make a call, entire countries were conquered...

I'd like to try it again, but with a turn based system. Say one hour = 6 months. With a 30 minute "break" between turns so teams could strategize. With a defined turn length, production, movement,

Else it's just a bunch of guys running around, the controllers quickly get swamped and there is no real strategy.

While all the megagames I've been in have a turn based system, they all benefit from time pressure. If players have enough time to strategize, go to the loo, have lunch etc etc. you'll never get anything done *and* rob the game of one of it's main features: making tough decisions with incomplete information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
Their spin on Virgin Queen

http://vimeo.com/50067007

Interesting that video in light of their experience with the megagame.

Interestingly Megagame makers did a rerun of their Renaissance & Reformation megagame recently. You can find the game handbooks here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noam Strassfeld
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
Of note: we are running the Watch the Skies megagame (with the key secret elements changed so it's not spoiled by the SUSD video) in NYC 7/26. Check out my post if you're interested in playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.