Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
after reading and viewing many online reviews for the game, one thing seemed to stand out: the game is best played not as a team game, but as an individual game. we're hoping to get our first game in this weekend, and I think (after reading the rules/etc myself) that that is the way we'll play it as well...

I've also seen suggested that the scoring be 'adjusted' depending on the difficulty of the clue(s) chosen and then correctly guessed. has anyone tried this, and if so how did you implement it? (maybe scale points 1-2-3 based on easy-average-hard clues?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach it, yes, I make it an individual game and don't even mention the points tokens.

Also, each player gets 5 minutes and can recruit someone else if they need help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
When I teach it, yes, I make it an individual game and don't even mention the points tokens.

Also, each player gets 5 minutes and can recruit someone else if they need help.

I agree with Clyde. Also, perhaps after a certain amount of time, you're allowed to text a picture of the board to friends who have played. Tried that yesterday when my wife and I couldn't get my son's board. Within a minute, two friends texted back correctly. Pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

so, no scoring at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Altropos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group wanted a scoring system so I came up with the following:

At the start of the game each player receives 9 markers, 3 of 3 different types, representing the 3 difficulties. (So pennies for easy, nickles for medium, and dimes for hard would work)

On your turn you choose a line on the card that matches one of the markers you have left. If someone guesses it then you and that person remove a corresponding marker from the game. If the guesser doesn't have one that's ok, he just doesn't gain anything beyond keeping someone else from guessing.

Play proceeds clockwise, first person out of markers wins. Or, first person to guess correctly while having no markers wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Eder
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play 2 teams. 2 minute timer. Clues are worth 1/2/3 points. If a team can't get it, the other team gets a chance to steal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't score after the first round. Didn't seem to need scoring, we just had fun. Definitely needs a time limit, though.

We also played individually, although two couples played as a team. All had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

so, no scoring at all?
No, scoring is lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob in Richmond wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

I agree with Clyde. Also, perhaps after a certain amount of time, you're allowed to text a picture of the board to friends who have played. Tried that yesterday when my wife and I couldn't get my son's board. Within a minute, two friends texted back correctly. Pretty cool.
Awesome idea!

Maybe institute three lifelines:

1. text a friend
2. recruit a friend to help
3. try an easier clue on the same card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens after the time? You just give up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with this scoring variant :

For Easy 1 for the givers 2 for the guesser as in the rules
Med 2 /4
Hard 3 / 6

Moves the game quickly and next time we shall DEFINITELY be applying a time constraint-- perhaps 5 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
We love the ideas in Concept, but there has to be something there on games night for us, so:

1 Teams of two, sat opposite each other. One player chooses - and announces - a level and 'reads', circulating clockwise. You get 1,2,3 points for guessing an answer of the appropriate level. 1 bonus point for the 'reader' if your partner guesses first. Highest team score wins.

2 Choose a level of question within 10 seconds or the opponents choose the level for you.

3 5 minute time limit. If exceeded, no points are awarded.

4 To extend the lifetime of the game, only questions 1,4,7 on each card are selectable. When we reach the (especially marked) first card, we will switch to 2,5,8 (and later to 3,6,9): thus effectively trebling the game's lifespan.

5 Anyone shouting out three consecutive incorrect guesses is docked 1 point.

6 Play until the points kitty is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the light bulbs to give the game a fixed length. Playing 12 rounds is a good number. Who cares who wins really.

As for it being an individual doing it - no way. The game works great because people are working together to describe something, whispering to each other and going "oh yeah, that's good." etc. This really helps the social aspect of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Merrell

ALBUQUERQUE
New Mexico
msg tools
House Rule: "Name that Concept!"

Played Concept for the first time last weekend with 3 other first-timers. Two teams of two. It was new and novel, but it wasn't exactly a knee slapper.

After a few games, one of us (might've been me) read the clue with their partner, and blurted out "I can do that in 4 moves."

Partner: "Well I can do it in 3."

"Be my guest."

We played the rest of the night like that, and the fun factor went up significantly.

We started trying to build some rules around it:

-You alternate who gets first bid by turn. The lowest bidder gets to play first. If everyone on the team bids the same, then ties go to the first bidder. He then makes his play.
-The guessing team gets a limited time to guess (I think we did 30 seconds), then the next highest bidder takes a shot.
-If nobody guesses, you start bidding again. Continue until somebody guesses or somebody turns over the table.

After we wrapped up, we started thinking maybe the winning bidder - the one who bids lowest AND has his Concept correctly guessed - should take a single point from the losing bidder. Haven't tried that yet.

What do ya'll think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Keeling
United States
Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

A variant of the 2 team (charades) game type:

2 teams, one person on the team is placing clues, others on the same team are guessing, teams alternate.
2 minute time limit per round.
Clue giver decides level of difficulty: Easy - 1 pt, Hard - 2pts, Challenging - 4 pts.
Bonus points: Easy - none, Hard - 1 pt for each sub-concept not used, Challenging - 3 pts for each sub-concept not used.
If the concept is not guessed, the other team can steal after the round ends for half the points.
First team to 30 points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Burr
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up this game and I’m going to try to get to the table this weekend. I've heard of poor experiences using the scoring in the rule book.. and I can’t see my group not keeping score in some way.

Do you think this would work?

Play with teams of two. Each team takes turns giving clues, one person from the that team gives clues while his teammate and the other teams guess.
The player giving clues selects an answer from any difficulty. Points are given to the team that correctly guesses.
Points rewarded as follows:
Easy 1 Point
Medium 2 points
Hard 3 points
1 bonus point is given if the teammate of the person giving the clue correctly guesses.

when the clue cannot be guessed within a set amount of time a player from another team can assist (selected by the clue giver). The teammate of either person currently giving clues can now receive the bonus point for their team.

The clue giver role switches to the next team, alternating between teammates each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Burr510 wrote:
I just picked up this game and I’m going to try to get to the table this weekend. I've heard of poor experiences using the scoring in the rule book.. and I can’t see my group not keeping score in some way.

Play with teams of two. Each team takes turns giving clues, one person from the that team gives clues while his teammate and the other teams guess.
The player giving clues selects an answer from any difficulty. Points are given to the team that correctly guesses.
Easy 1 Point
Medium 2 points
Hard 3 points
1 bonus point is given if the teammate of the person giving the clue correctly guesses.

when the clue cannot be guessed within a set amount of time a player from another team can assist (selected by the clue giver). The teammate of either person currently giving clues can now receive the bonus point for their team.

The clue giver role switches to the next team, alternating between teammates each time.

They're great rules!

In fact they're exactly as the same as the ones I came up with a few posts back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Burr
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Burr510 wrote:

Easy 1 Point
Medium 2 points
Hard 3 points

They're great rules!

In fact they're exactly as the same as the ones I came up with a few posts back.

I borrowed some of your ideas and also tips from other peoples posts that I thought would fit my group nicely. I also left some of your ideas out that I didn’t think would work for my group.. they’re good ideas, I just didn’t think they would be a good fit for us.

So, I wouldn’t say “exact”.. but definitely heavily influenced.

Having never played this before I wasn’t sure if this hodgepodge of scoring ideas would work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone have any new house rules? Going to be playing it tomorrow and wondering what is the most fun way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HarryCanyon wrote:
Anyone have any new house rules? Going to be playing it tomorrow and wondering what is the most fun way to do it.

We never play competitively or with points. Always have a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Aguilar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about playing the game without teams? You each play for the same points. Say 1 for Easy 2 for Hard and 3 for challenging. First to 8 (or however many points) wins.

Example:

The person who guessed correctly would get a point and so would the person giving the clues. It speeds the game up and everyone is always involved. This also allows 2 way ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since it's been a while, I'm wondering if anyone has any updates or old house rules that they've settled on since.

I really love the mechanics and art of this game (even bought the giant playmat), but absolutely hate the base scoring. It's like they gave up on the notion of this being a competitive game in any way when there was no real reason to give up on that (unlike, say, a game like Telestrations) and imo good scoring actually increases the fun/party factor rather than dampen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatts
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Here's how I played with a group of my friends (who are variously artists and mathematicians).

Minimum of 4 players:
1 describer,
1 picker/enforcer,
2+ guessers

For a given game you establish what level of game you're playing; Easy, Medium, or Hard, and can only pick topics from that level or easier.

A round starts with the Picker drawing a card and picking one of the clues for the Describer (the player immediately to their right) to communicate to the guessers (by saying something like "do number 4" and passing the card.) As soon as the Describer can read the card, the Picker starts a three minute timer and the Describer can start trying to communicate the idea to the Guessers in the method described in the main rules.

The only words the Describer is allowed to use are "yes" and "no", but they can pick up and place pawns and dots in order to emphasize a point. Using other words, or acting like they're playing charades or twenty questions (by over-miming or answering questions from the Guessers) counts as a loss.

If one of the Guessers can solve the word/phrase, the Describer gets 1 point, and the correct Guesser gets 2 points. If no one can get it in time, the Picker gets 1 point. Once that round is over, all the roles rotate to the left one seat, and the new Picker draws a new card.

Play until some arbitrary point pool is exhausted (like, play until you run out of double lightbulb tokens) or until some point target is reached (like "8"). The player with the most points wins. (You may have to use tallies instead of lightbulb tokens if you have a bunch of players, if you want to make it around the group more than a couple times).

-----

I like these rules better than the default ones because I feel like everyone has the right kind of pressure on them. It's in the Picker's best interest to choose a challenging topic and to enforce the timer and rules carefully (and there's nice dramatic irony in watching people struggle to explain and guess a topic you know). It's in the Describer's best interest to carefully and quietly use the board to overcome the difficult topic given to them by the picker. And, it's in the best interest of the Guessers to not blurt out wild guesses and give clues to their competition, or break the rules by asking questions and miss their chance at 2 points.

Your milage may vary with your group, but three minutes worked well for the medium difficulty for my group. I imagine there's a fun game to be played doing a "lightning round" where you only have a minute to spell out only Easy clues. I haven't tried, but it sounds like fun to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispety Nougat
msg tools
mb
I wonder how many people are playing this game two years later? I certainly am... it remains one of my favorites. It's great as a warm-up before a more involved game. Our loosey-goosey house rules:

Each describer works individually. Everyone else guesses. No miming or asking/answering questions. The describer simply picks a concept off their card that they think would be fun to describe; they can hold onto their card for subsequent rounds, or draw a new one if they want different options. They can also come up with their own concept.

Do not bother pausing the game when someone needs to get up to go to the bathroom/get more snacks/whatever, unless that person specifically requests it. This way people can dip in and out of the game easily.

If the describer is having trouble, they can invite someone else to help them. In extreme cases, this can continue until almost the entire table is working to get a single remaining guesser to guess the concept. There are no time limits; the only real rule is never give up.

Points are meaningless and are awarded arbitrarily by a benevolent dictator, mostly for comedic purposes and/or encouragement of first-time players.

Play until you feel like playing something else. Count up your points or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.