10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: a game for me and my gf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kevin cowie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Okay im looking for a rather niche game type here , im looking for a game me and my gf can get into shes never reli played board games or card games properly but im looking for a 2 player game that is easy to pick up yet enough depth to keep us intrested and going back for more naturally a "cute" element would be good for her and a collectable element or expansion element to keep the game fresh for longer if possible

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Sentences. Use em.

2. Ascension or Star Realms are both easy to learn 2 player deckbuilders. Star Realms doesn't have any expansions yet, though. Neither fall under 'cute'.

3. My Little Pony CCG. I know it exists, can't tell you much more than that.

4. Get Hive. Get Omen: A Reign of War. Get Forbidden Island.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Harris
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some low-barrier to entry games that (without knowing anything about your significant other) she might enjoy:

Hanabi
Steam Park
Carcassonne
Dominion

Slightly more complex, but maybe a good 2nd or third game to play together:

Trains
Race for the Galaxy

All of these play very well with two, and none of them are too heavy. Carcassonne, Dominion, and Race for the Galaxy all have a large number of expansions that are widely available.

I'd also offer some general tips:

1) Let your significant other be a big part in picking out the first few games you buy to play together. Theme can be a turn-off or a boost for a new gamer, since they're not necessarily as enamored with flashy new mechanics as a veteran of the hobby would be. She'll like the game more if she likes what it is about and can help pick it out. I'd recommend talking to her about a list of options you think would be fun and then letting her choose the one you buy.

2) Learn the game like the back of your hand and be ready to teach it to her as smoothly and easily as possible. Even with a simple game, a new gamer can be turned off by the "let's take it out of the box and go step-by-step through the rule book to learn it together" approach. The lower you can make that barrier to entry, the better.

3) Play for fun. I'm sure it could be a whole other long thread as to weather you should "let a new gamer win," so I'll just leave things off by saying that it's probably best not to go into fully competitive try-hard mode as soon as the game hits the table. All strategic games are on some level games of skill, which means a more experienced gamer can generally wipe the floor with someone just learning a game for the first time. When this happens consistently, it can definitely make for a less enjoyable experience for the new gamer.

Hope that helps! Good luck. Even though I game with several different groups, I can honestly say that my wife (a "non-gamer") is my favorite gaming partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Harris
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurred to me after my original post, that I may have left a few things off based on the types of games my wife tends to dislike.

If your girlfriend doesn't mind more direct confrontation in her games, then you might eventually want to look into Summoner Wars and/or Android: Netrunner. These are a little bit more complex, but not too heavy. They aren't necessarily the best "gateway" games for that reason, but both are great two player games that very much scratch that collectible/LCG itch that you said was important to you in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you want is Hey, That's My Fish!. It looks like a silly little game about penguins, but there's a surprising amount of depth there. It plays well with 2, 3, or 4 players.

The cute factor can get her into it, the strategy aspect will satisfy your gaming requirements, and give you something to keep going back to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
scarecrowking wrote:
1. Sentences. Use em.

+1thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Carcassonne , but right off the bat I would get an expansion. Traders and builders would be a good starting expansion.

My lady friend really likes Dominion. I don't play much lately but that might be because we played it a ton for a while.

Asante - This is technically a stand alone expansion for Jambo and it's 2 expansions however they may be very hard to find and expensive if you do as they are rare. But if you like player interaction and a bit of take that in a game the widely available inexpensive Asante alone will be a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor K
Slovenia
Videm pri Ptuju
Videm pri Ptuju
flag msg tools
You can't go wrong with Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperlisk wrote:
You can't go wrong with Ticket to Ride.

Go for Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries, though, if you plan on playing it mostly with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really enjoy legacy. It's all about marrying off your children to prominent families to increase your families prestige. It looks a lot harder than it is. We just played with another couple who have only ever played catan and they had no problem picking it up. We both love the game but the theme really seems to interest women. It was also a big hit with my mom and sister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.