Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ubject: Quick op about WC's heroes I have a major complaint about the heroes in WC-- they make me disappointed with the ones I got in the new sets. WC's heroes are amazing, the levels of the heroes actually pace with the game, where as the new TA heroes are all a race to get to third.

This set provides heroes that at level 1 helps thin the deck, so if you level them too soon you lose functionality, but if you wait too long, you miss opportunities to capture VP. Gohlen is really neat, that at level 2 he is doing a ton of damage, but at level 3 you sacrifice a good deal of that to steal VP's from your opponent and solidify your lead.

Over all, this is a great release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
It does make for some interesting decisions leveling up if the next level hero isn't strictly better than the previous level. Am I ready to sacrifice Bluefire's XP generation to start leveling up my other heroes? Tholis's dungeon manipulation, so that I can mess with my opponents? Dark's deck thinning for her monster bonus?

But there are examples of this in the other Advance sets.

- Disowned plays nice at L2; not so much at L3. I am often more than happy to leave her at L2.
- Forcemage sacrifices a guaranteed spell bonus for card draw.
- Edge case: Profanced L1 gets to decide if he wants to contribute Light (useful for Caliginite or Ultraterrestials); higher levels have it built in.
- Real edge case: Silvertongue L1 can return a village card so that I can buy it again. Could be used to move a Filigree Amulet from my hand to my discard without destroying it. (Playing with non-Advance cards, I could get Grognard's 2XP over and over, without clogging my deck with Grognards.)
- Blackhand stops preparing hero purchases and starts adding attack.
- Rugged stops being able to mark a monster from the village.
- Strong-willed trades re-using items for forcing opponents to discard them.
- Tough stops buying weapons and starts buying heroes.
- Many of the rangers (Bhoidwood, Deepstrider, Tuath, Moonclaw, Wildwood) have worse gold as they level up, in exchange, presumably, for higher attack.
- And for any hero, if I'm leveraging XP in some way (say for Hedge Witch), leveling up must be weighed against the XP cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I somewhat agree with the Forcemage, but his level three is so boss, it's still hard not to race him. I disagree with Disowned being this way-- while what you say is true, in every game I've played Disowned was raced to 3. In fact, we've said the first one that gets her to 3 wins the game.

I hope we get more heroes like these WC ones in future TA sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
I somewhat agree with the Forcemage, but his level three is so boss, it's still hard not to race him. I disagree with Disowned being this way-- while what you say is true, in every game I've played Disowned was raced to 3. In fact, we've said the first one that gets her to 3 wins the game.

I hope we get more heroes like these WC ones in future TA sets.

Into the Abyss is a second "best of" set, so this is a safe bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait for "Into the Abyss"!!

Also waiting for a "Pretty Sneaky Sis" column about World's Collide. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:

Also waiting for a "Pretty Sneaky Sis" column about World's Collide. cool

You'd be surprised at how motivating the desires of strangers are. I'll get started on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.