Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I want to take a day out for my birthday, and combine it with a trip to a really cool board-game shop, so that we, as a family, can browse and choose a new game together. So far, all of our purchases have been from online stores.

Could anyone recommend somewhere that has a half decent stock (we don't have many games, so it need not stock obscure items). It doesn't really matter where, just as long as in the UK, as we are happy to travel for our day out.

Thank you very much

Little Shoes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I would guess that Leisure Game in North London has the best stock of any physical UK shop. It certainly has the largest of any I've seen, and has good coverage of new releases. Prices are average, but they're nice and helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fielding Mellish
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mb
I was in Orcs Nest a couple of years back and knocked down an entire shelf of games domino style. It's a tight little shop with a great selection.

http://www.orcsnest.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wilkinson
England
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you fancy taking a trip up (or down) to York to see all the tourist stuff on offer, you could also drop by Travelling Man while you're there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McGowan
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
Orcs nest is pretty much Covent Garden so if the day out us London based it can be combined with plenty of other stuff.

Small shop but plenty of games there to choose from and staff are helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leisure Games in London and Spirit Games in Burton-upon-Trent are my favourites - depends where you are coming from and what else you'd like to do really!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Leisure Games and Orc's Nest come highly recommended. I have spent many an hour or so in each (and quite often on the same day!).

If you are travelling further I would recommend Langleys Toy Shop in the Royal Arcade, Norwich. Don't be put off by the toy shop - go upstairs near the till and there are shelves of Euro style games, both classics and new ones. The lady behind the till is lovely and very knowledgeable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit Games, best game shop I`ve ever been in, period, and the owners are lovely people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey-Jones
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you fancy a trip to Exeter I can recommend Clifton Road games just outside Exeter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Shoes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for the responses.

I am visiting the York area later in the year, so will save that one for a later trip. We also have taken the odd day trip to Exmouth, so Exeter will also be saved for a later date.

It's great to know that there are some shops out there- so much nicer to be able to pick up the boxes and absorb, than the clinical experience of on-line shopping. I have done some on-line research and found links to a couple of shops in Oxford and Burton on Trent (edit: Spirit Games, as mentioned by previous poster), so we now have lots of options and can plan a day trip around this.

Thank you all again. Love this place!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Weller
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Eclectic games in reading is a fantastic and friendly store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Willis
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend GamesKeeper in Oxford.
The owners really know their stuff and squeeze a lot into their small store- which has been going 20+ years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.