James Rhys
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Mcginnis' special ability says that you issue a warrant to the opponent ship if you lose a showdown.

This means that the opponent could be Working a Piracy Job, Attacking you, and if you lose and have McGinnis on your crew the Attacker gets a Warrant Issued.

The core Rules say "If you recieve a Warrant while Working a Job, discard the Job". Does this mean that the Attacker will have to lose that Piracy Job?

If that's the case, does the Attacker's Win criteria of stealing goods resolve at the same time as MGinnis' ability issuing the Warrant, so the Attacker gets to steal the goods but has to abandon the job and not get paid? Regardless, will it trigger Niska's Pound of Flesh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a query I fielded when I first detailed all the cards, but no one seemed willing to discuss it.

I think he was designed with Bounty-jumping in mind rather than Piracy, so I'm not quite sure how he's supposed to work.

If it came to it, I'd probably do the same as you as a sort of 'split the difference'. As in, thematically, the pirates get away with the goods but McGinnis has reported them right after so the Job is failed and the Contact upset (and no Goal tokens would be earned or stolen in that game type either).

Then I'd ask the attacking player, "Why? Why would you do that?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it can be resolved using the rules as written.

The clause being quoted (If you recieve a Warrant while Working a Job, discard the Job) is located under Misbehaving. The entire section is about resolving misbehave cards, and nothing in it implies that rules within it apply to all situations even those not involving Misbehaving.

Therefore, McGinnis Warrant has no effect on the job because Piracy jobs are not using the Misbehave deck. It's still a nasty effect as it means any ship that pirates a ship he is in will become an Outlaw Ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rhys
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew it was in the misbehaves part, I just couldn't be sure with the way these rules are written (!) that the way it referred to Jobs wasn't a generalisation. We'll go over the replies in group, and see if maybe gets FAQed, cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to agree with Joel... but that leads to another question: Is it possible to lose a Piracy Job?

It would seem that gaining a Warrant as a result of losing a Showdown would cause you to lose Solid with the contact in question and Harken... but you still retain the Job itself as an active Job?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rhys
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you add it to the FAQ list on the other forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with Joel... but that leads to another question: Is it possible to lose a Piracy Job?

It would seem that gaining a Warrant as a result of losing a Showdown would cause you to lose Solid with the contact in question and Harken... but you still retain the Job itself as an active Job?

Yeah, Joel's explanation works. Never thought of it as a purely 'Misbehave outcome' but that does also make sense with regards to getting warrants from nav cards, since those don't cause negative effects on the job either.

Still, yeah, it raises other queries. I'd agree with your conclusion. Contact isn't happy that you got reported, but you still made off with the goods...and they'll pay you for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you retain the job. I thought the overriding rule was that if you get a warrant while working a job you lose the job. I didn't see anything that exempted piracy jobs from that rule.

gwek wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedijawa74 wrote:
Why would you retain the job. I thought the overriding rule was that if you get a warrant while working a job you lose the job. I didn't see anything that exempted piracy jobs from that rule.

It's because discarding a job only happens if the warrant was gained during a misbehave. In the rulebook, it is under 'Misbehave outcomes'.

Since things like fly actions and showdowns don't involved misbehaving, a warrant gained there has no impact on a job.

Easy distinction to miss and hence many people's confusion (mine included).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Parker
msg tools
The only thing lost due to McGinnis' ability is Solid with Harken, because you cannot be Solid with Harken if you have a Warrant.
You do not lose any jobs, any other Solid rep's and Niska's "Pound of Flesh" is NOT "triggered".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say "Pound of Flesh" triggers if it were a Niska Piracy Job, since that is a Warrant being Issued while 'working a Niska job'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Parker
msg tools
HotHeart wrote:
I would say "Pound of Flesh" triggers if it were a Niska Piracy Job, since that is a Warrant being Issued while 'working a Niska job'.

That is what I thought, too. I seem to have been wrong.
I suppose the Warrant has more to do with Agent McGinnis and less to do with whomever you were working for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why wouldn't Niska's Pound of Flesh be in effect? I think I'm inclined to agree with Gregg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Parker
msg tools
I sent a message to "Firefly The Game" on Facebook asking about this question. The reply message that I received was longer than my post (above on June 9), so I paraphrased a shorter answer.

I'm assuming that whoever is answering my questions there (the replies are from "Firefly The Game") is associated with Gale Force 9, and the answers "official".
I may be wrong, but that is my guess.
Maybe (?) GF9 will address this question, and my earlier question regarding River and Bribes, in the next FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hm. I'm not looking to disagree with an official source, but this is now at least the second questionable call we've gotten from GF9 on Facebook. Honestly, I'm inclined to take what they say there with a giant grain of salt, given that once answer was "Do whatever you want."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Parker
msg tools
The answer I received about Bribes and River was a little more involved than "Do whatever you want", if that is what you are referring to and the answer about McGinnis made sense, after I thought about it.

But I don't know for absolutely certain that either answer is "official". Since there seems to be more than a little suspicion about the veracity of the information, I'll stop posting their replies to me. I don't want to add any confusion to the subject.
Hopefully these questions will be addressed in the next Official Firefly FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that was an official answer you received? Wasn't aware of that. I wouldn't like to question it either, but it does seem like in that case Niska's "Pound of Flesh" should really say while Misbehaving on a Niska Job, if that were the case.

I remember the River & Bribes answer. They did seem a little lax about the order of things, but it did align with what I'd guessed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C David Dent
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It makes sense. Pg 15 in the rules says:

Quote:
Contacts do not like it when someone working for them gets tagged by the
Alliance. If you receive a Warrant while working a Job for a Contact,
any reputation with that Contact is lost along with any and all benefits
for being Solid. Niska takes particular offense to this kind of misstep.

But McGinnis issues warrants for the crime of piracy against his crew, not the attempt to perform a crime on behalf of someone else.

Quote:
Whenever you lose a SHOWDOWN - Warrant Issued to Rival.

In other words, it's personal, not evidence of a life wasted in pursuit of criminal activities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.