mbmbmbmbmb
Feeling a little patriotic.

7-4-1776

2-players.

Materials

•Supply of red and blue stones.

•10x10 board.

Definitions

Adjacent – Means orthogonally and diagonally adjacent.
Group – Two or more connected set of friendly stones.

Rules

The board starts out empty.

One player plays blue the other red.

Player’s alternate turns, starting with blue.

On a turn take one of the following actions.

1) Drop a friendly stone on any empty square on the board or

2) Move a friendly stone already on the board any distance orthogonally or diagonally ending the move on an empty square adjacent to another friendly stone not belonging to a group, then drop a stone on every empty square that is adjacent to the stone last moved.

Goal

A player unable to take an action on her turn loses.

Restrictions

1) Stones are not allowed to jump or pass through other stones.
2) Friendly stones that are adjacent cannot move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reyalicea wrote:

1) Drop a friendly stone on any empty square on the board (this action is obligatory) or

2) Move a friendly stone already on the board any distance orthogonally or diagonally ending the move on an empty square adjacent to another friendly stone not belonging to a group, then drop a stone on every empty square that is adjacent to the stone last moved (this action is optional).

The wording is confusing. It makes it sound like a player must do action 1 (since this action is obligatory) and may optionally do action 2 as well (since this action is optional), yet we are told to do "one of the following actions." Since you are obliged to do action 1, and you do just one action, it seems impossible to ever do action 2.

I'm guessing that "this action is optional" is meant to apply only to the last part of action 2, and that you mean something like:

reyalicea wrote:
On a turn take one of the following actions .

1) Drop a friendly stone on any empty square on the board

or

2) Move a friendly stone already on the board any distance orthogonally or diagonally ending the move on an empty square adjacent to another friendly stone not belonging to a group, and then optionally drop a stone on every empty square that is adjacent to the stone last moved.

...?

If "this action is optional" applies to the entire action 2, then I don't understand how it is optional but action 1 is obligatory, yet you do one action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be playing in the cells not on the points of the grid.

On an evenXeven board wouldn't center of board be an inversion center, thus a second player win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
You seem to be playing in the cells not on the points of the grid.

On an evenXeven board wouldn't center of board be an inversion center, thus a second player win?

Probably, except for the ability to "drop a stone on every empty square that is adjacent to the stone last moved." which I think is usable to break the mirroring by filling the reflected space to which the mirroring 2nd player would like to move:

I.e. after 2 turns of mirroring:

. . . 1 . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . 1 . . . . .
. . . . . 2 . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . 2 . . .

But then player 1 prevents further mirroring by moving the north stone to the center and adding stones around it:

. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . 1 1 1 . . .
. . 1 1 1 . . .
. . 1 1 1 2 . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . 2 . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
reyalicea wrote:

1) Drop a friendly stone on any empty square on the board (this action is obligatory) or

2) Move a friendly stone already on the board any distance orthogonally or diagonally ending the move on an empty square adjacent to another friendly stone not belonging to a group, then drop a stone on every empty square that is adjacent to the stone last moved (this action is optional).

The wording is confusing. It makes it sound like a player must do action 1 (since this action is obligatory) and may optionally do action 2 as well (since this action is optional), yet we are told to do "one of the following actions." Since you are obliged to do action 1, and you do just one action, it seems impossible to ever do action 2.

I'm guessing that "this action is optional" is meant to apply only to the last part of action 2, and that you mean something like:

reyalicea wrote:
On a turn take one of the following actions .

1) Drop a friendly stone on any empty square on the board

or

2) Move a friendly stone already on the board any distance orthogonally or diagonally ending the move on an empty square adjacent to another friendly stone not belonging to a group, and then optionally drop a stone on every empty square that is adjacent to the stone last moved.

...?

If "this action is optional" applies to the entire action 2, then I don't understand how it is optional but action 1 is obligatory, yet you do one action.

Thanks Russ, I've corrected the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't a territory goal make a bit more sense? As it is, the game is won by whoever fills the last empty spot(s) on the board, which seems a rather opaque pursuit to me.

Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL - Why do you expect the girl to loose?

My sister is smarter than I am!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luigi87 wrote:
Wouldn't a territory goal make a bit more sense? As it is, the game is won by whoever fills the last empty spot(s) on the board, which seems a rather opaque pursuit to me.

Or am I missing something?

Hi Luis, you may be right and since I value your opinion highly I made another revision to the rules that adds another rule and a different Goal.

Then the question is does it make the game better?

Quote:
7-4-1776

2-players.

Materials

•Supply of red and blue stones.

•10x10 board.

Definitions

Adjacent – Means orthogonally and diagonally adjacent.
Group – Two or more connected set of friendly stones.

Rules

The board starts out empty.

One player plays blue the other red.

Player’s alternate turns, starting with blue.

1)Drop a friendly stone on any empty square on the board or

2)Move a friendly stone already on the board any distance orthogonally or diagonally ending the move on an empty square adjacent to another friendly stone not belonging to a group, then drop a stone on every empty square that is adjacent to the stone last moved or

3)Move a friendly stone already on the board any distance orthogonally or diagonally ending the move on an empty square adjacent to a single enemy stone that is orthogonally adjacent to a friendly group, then drop a stone on every empty square that is adjacent to the stone last moved

Goal

The player with the largest orthogonally connected group wins.

Restrictions

1)Stones are not allowed to jump or pass through other stones.
2)Friendly stones that are adjacent cannot move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure. I like the idea of the original goal, being the player to move last. But I agree that a territorial goal may offer more clarity. I like games along these lines, and hope I get to try it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.