Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the full game for the first time last night and couldn't clearly find the answer to this question.

In the 2nd age (I think) I discovered the age II civil special technology that gives you one extra civil token and three extra blue resource tokens. In the third age, I discovered the the 3rd age version (+2 white, +3 blue). I know that you must discard the earlier version (2nd in this cases) when discovering the later version of the same series. How does this work with the tokens:

A) When discovering the later technology, discard the older version along with the tokens it provided (1 white, 3 blue) from the game. Then place the new tokens provided by the new card on your board (2 white, 3 blue). This would in essence net you 1 white.

B) Keep all tokens. In this case 3 white, 6 blue.

C) Keep just the blue tokens from the the second one (netting only 1 extra with the later technology but also 3 extra blue for 6 total between the two cards).

I would think that B is obviously wrong. However, we weren't sure if it was A or C. We played it as A, which makes going up in this technology not particularly great and weaker than "upgrading" the other special blue technologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
I would think that B is obviously wrong. However, we weren't sure if it was A or C. We played it as A, which makes going up in this technology not particularly great and weaker than "upgrading" the other special blue technologies.

A is correct. You only get the net difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
Played the full game for the first time last night and couldn't clearly find the answer to this question.

Yes - it's covered on Pg 15 of the rules, under "Special Technologies (Blue Cards)", where it points out that the bonuses from such cards are not cumulative with their predecessors.

So as already pointed out, A is correct.

Congratulations on your first game! I hope you enjoyed. For support and advice on addiction to this game - there isn't any!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.