Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

So we just had our Johannesburg Regional, with a record turnout of 16 people so we cut to top 4, that was fun - though I can't imagine how you guys with 32+ people feel after the day. It's gruelling too!

Corp side, I packed a version of Tennin Lightning, mostly because I didn't have a lot of time to prepare for the regional, but the combination of Jinteki + Prog destruction has always been my thing, so I went with it.

My own changes were:

1. Adding the second extra Inazuma over the 3rd Bako, which I thought paid dividends as there's basically no easy way to deal with Inazuma. The 6th Barrier wouldn't have helped that much anyway. I didn't see a single parasite the whole day as our local meta was probably still digesting the criminal stuff, of which there were many.

2. Forget Archived Memories, I went for three Reclamation Orders. It feels like a no-brainer to me, of course there were instances were I could have done with Archived Memories at some point - hmm, well, the only real case were one when I could have scored a Clone Retirement from hand to win if I Archived a Trick of Light, but one turn didn't really make all that much difference and I still won anyway. Grabbing multiple Tricks or Hedge Funds were always super useful.

And that's it. Nothing super different.

Runner Side, I ran almost the same deck I've done in the last couple of tournaments, again because I'd been super busy and hadn't had time lately to prepare. The pieces may change, the identity may change, but it's always been this at its heart: Criminal, 3x Test Runs, 1x Keyhole.

I love the way this deck runs - it can pressure all centrals quickly and almost equally, and can adapt to just about any situation while picking a rig to build. Test Run can both fetch Keyhole when a good opportunity presents itself (usually really early, or later after a few Siphons in a row). Of all the decks I've built before, this is the one I feel the most at home with. Well now that I've announced it to the world I better just go build a new one I'm tired of it anyway, to be honest.

From H&P I added a few things, just because:

1. Express Delivery: To me, this is a Diesel in criminal, and that makes it amazing. No matter what I'm digging for, this will help.

2. Security Testing: This replaced Easy Mark for both its ease of install and sustained mini opus. AND it techs Jinteki very well with the new swarm of Shocks in the Archive.

3. Unregistered S&W - just in case I needed to kill so Caprice or Ash. Remote attack is slightly weak in this deck so I thought I'd keep this around in case. Never really got to use it - Most times Caprice ended up in HQ, where a Sneakdoor (sometimes Test Ran) usually takes care of her.

The MVP in this deck is definitely Same Old Thing. The ability to be Account Siphon, Test Run (!!!), Shutdown (didn't shut anything down today, small is definitely in now) or Inside Job is just incredible.

And Keyhole. Sometimes it outright crushes some decks, sometimes it's just a big fat derp. It's been both for me today. It's really both a big red herring for the opponent as well as being a genuine big threat. You play it by ear

Brief game-by-game:
It was a long day, and I didn't take notes, so if I made any mistakes please let me know!
---

Match 1 Game 1: Me Tennin VS Neil Andromeda

This game opened real slow. I couldn't draw any ETR Ice, was stuck with a swordsman and an Inazuma for a long long time as my ability to lock out was locked out. I power drew, he scored 4 points, a Medical Breakthrough and a Nisei I think it was. Eventually drew into ETR, he special orders the right stuff, I pad them with Destroyers, and we cat and mouse for a while until I was finally able to get some tokens and was ready to TOL stuff. He drops The Source and some Fall Guys. GAH. REFACTOR PLANS. So the game dragged on and on as I had Grim, Inazuma, and one big Ice Wall sitting around. Quite a bit of Nisei action happened on HQ and I decided to try to branch out (had killed his Decoder twice so he was sitting without one, at least) with a Quandary and Ice Wall. Eventually I dropped a Caprice and Clone Retirement when I was at 6, after eating through 3 fall guys with TOL overscoring. THANK GOODNESS FOR 3x RECLAMATION ORDERS. He hadn't enough money to take it after Caprice bet so tried HQ where he had a 1 in 3 chance at a Philotic... So I ended that run with Nisei token and just won next turn.

WHAT A LONG GAME.

Match 1 Game 2: Me Andy Neil NEXT Design

We were rushing like mad chicken as we had 10 minutes for this game. He drops 3 ICE and draws up, then proceeds to drop one more remote and two things behind them. One of them was a Melage. I killed it somehow, can't remember how. Then there was a Director Haas behind an RSVP. I Inside Job it and kill it. I think there was a Siphon somewhere in between. Then I stole 2 more points from his HQ and 2 from R&D, Neil graciously concedes. Awesome guy, great games!

---

Match 2 Game 1: Me Tennin John Kit

John was playing a Kit, but without fancy tricks - just a lot of breakers, it seemed. Two early Cyber Cyphers were bothersome, then out came a bloody MORNINGSTAR! I had two Ice Walls that were collecting tokens but I didn't actually need them THAT much as I was keeping things out with a Grim and an Inazuma into... Something, can't remember what. By the time his Garrote came out (Morningstar, Garrote, and one Cyber Cypher left eventually). Eventually I feigned R&D importance by manually advancing Ice Wall on R&D, which didn't do much, really. Clone Retirement won the game for me, he was too poor to run.

Match 2 Game 2: Me Andy John Making News

So this game was just ridiculous He opened with a Celebrity Gift and a Sweeps. No agendas too, bonus. I didn't get a siphon Nor did all my draws and all my R&D hits. The game goes on for a while and he keeps draw money and all my sipons didn't do much. I also knew he had a Closed Account so I couldn't leave tags. And Psycho. And Midseason. I spend all my money killing Jacksons and San Sans because I can't leave them as he was so damn rich.

Eventually I stole a NAPD through three ICE - Wraparound (I had a Corroder) into Ichi into Eli, and he Midseasons, I spend all my money and still had 2 tags. My Kati dies. I try hard to recover some money and draw, to no avail. I had to Siphon him one time to avoid a score, and had to keep tags. He closes my account, of course. Struggle struggle. Eventually he wins by a 3 point Beale (1 token from previous turn +3, plus 1 from an Astro).

---

Match 3 Game 1: Me Tennin Vassilo Chaos Theory

I can't remember this game too well. I remember it went quite long and he drew a ton, and he ran into my triple Shocks in Archive a few times for Dirty Laundry. Not a terrible idea as his hand was always overdrawn from Quality Times and Diesels, but random hits took most of his breakers and I was allowed to do what I want. He also took two Shikyus. And a Medical Breakthrough. Not much happened besides, I think, it did drag out a bit, but by the time he Levy'd (with 2 breakers, 2 Voice Pads), it wasn't that bad and I was able to TOL out for the win.

Match 3 Game 2: Me Andy Vassilo Replicating Perfection

This game eventually went to time as we had about 15 minutes left, I think. I did burst out the gate with some pressure, a Siphon and a Keyhole. He however had a few Jacksons and it was quite hard to actually do everything I needed quickly. When it went to time my last turn he had a Jackson out, I couldn't run it first (RP), so I Keyholed, found the agenda I needed to win, then ran it on Archive, and forced his Jackson. Then I had 4 more cards to maybe win. First 3 from keyhole - nope. Last card from a normal access - nope. Sigh

I just just made top four as 4th seed

---

Match 4 (Semi) Game 1: Me Tennin Brenden Gabe

Pretty standard affair. I was however super fortunate to him not seeing a Corroder/Special Order for quite a while while I built up Ice Walls and drew like a madman for TOLs. Had to wash some agendas away with Jackson. He didn't actually get too many HQ hits which was nice. I was sitting on 5 points when he got everything out and started to really hammer me with siphons, even siphoning 3 creds because, well, TOL is so damn cheap to run. His NACHs were keeping him tag free while a TriMaf was kicking ass. But eventually I found my agenda and scored it.

Match 4 (semi) Game 2: Me Andy Brenden Cerebral Imaging

I'm not sure how to call this game - Standard CI affair of just gaining money, and when I did Siphon I didn't have the pieces to get through such things as QUANDARY. Yuck. However I did pull all my points out of HQ - first a two pointer, then a three pointer, and then the last Efficiency Committee. I was mostly probing for Siphons but hey. Oh he did a Reclamation order on two Restructures. I think I fired landed 1 Siphon. Anyway that was one of those... Lucky games.

---

Match 5 (final) Game 1: Me Andy Chris Harmoney Medtech

I was expecting either a super rush FA deck or an ambush deck. It was neither. Was just a really balanced, stock standard Ice and score deck. I can't remember this one super well... I need to start taking photos of my matches >_< I remember being held off HQ for a long time until I test ran a Sneakdoor and went in to take her out. And somehow I lost my only Corroder in my heap and I completely forgot when I tried to special order for it to go through a Bako. Had to change plans and get a Femme instead, forgetting I had a Same Old on the table and a Test Run in heap too. FFFFfffFFfFff. After that excitement I won pretty handily, I think I topdecked an agenda from R&D for the win.

Match 5 (final) Game 2: Me Tennin Chris Andy

OK this could have gone a lot worse. He gets building really quite slowly, but a Logos does go down before I was able to score anything. He takes a Medical Breakthrough from hand and I score one with TOL straight after. He fetched a breaker, I think. I score a Philotic. He FETCHES A SOURCE. Damnit another one Then HE DOES NOT PLAY IT. In the meanwhile he was slowly eating away at my R&D with a Keyhole, it was cheap to keyhole cos I was broke. But I did have a Jackson, when there were two agendas in there and he still didn't take it (his money was slow, it was only Kati - Desperado would have made a HUGE difference but it wouldn't have been able to tutor. Good tradeoff), I dropped Jackson and saved their ass while he ate two shocks from Archive.

I eventually was able to draw a Medical Breakthrough and score it out of hand unassisted He eventually drops source. R&D is more secure now, I got some money. All three Siphons are in his heap. But anyway I TOL a Retirement to win.

---------------------------

It was a really tense set of games and I'm still so surprised by Tennin FA. It's crazy how interesting how that's actually a thing now with just that one card, really, and of course the field was fully dominated by Criminals. I hope when the Anarch big box comes it'll do the same for them as it's done for Jinteki!

Thanks to everyone who were part of it and especially Nuno for being an awesome TO!

Decks
-----

C27 Lightning v2

Tennin Institute: The Secrets Within (Honor and Profit)

Agenda (11)
3x Braintrust (What Lies Ahead)
2x Clone Retirement (Second Thoughts)
3x Medical Breakthrough (Honor and Profit)
2x Nisei MK II (Core Set)
1x Philotic Entanglement (Honor and Profit)

Asset (9)
3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) •••
3x Shi.Kyū (Honor and Profit)
3x Shock! (True Colors)

Upgrade (3)
3x Caprice Nisei (Double Time)

Operation (10)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
3x Reclamation Order (Double Time) ••••• •
1x Successful Demonstration (Creation and Control) •
3x Trick of Light (Trace Amount)

Barrier (5)
2x Himitsu-Bako (Opening Moves)
3x Ice Wall (Core Set) •••

Code Gate (5)
2x Inazuma (Honor and Profit)
3x Quandary (Double Time)

Sentry (6)
2x Grim (Opening Moves)
2x Rototurret (Core Set) ••
2x Swordsman (Second Thoughts)

15 influence spent (max 15)
20 agenda points (between 20 and 21)
49 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.

----

R27 Anemone (because it's flexible and it looks like a mutant A-hole)

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie (Humanity's Shadow)

Event (21)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
3x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
2x Express Delivery (Honor and Profit)
2x Inside Job (Core Set)
2x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Test Run (Cyber Exodus) ••••• ••••

Hardware (6)
3x Desperado (Core Set)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
1x Unregistered S&W '35 (Honor and Profit)

Resource (10)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow)
3x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
2x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (7)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ••
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Peacock (What Lies Ahead)
1x Yog.0 (Core Set) •

Program (2)
1x Keyhole (True Colors) •••
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set)

15 influence spent (max 15)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Honor and Profit

Deck built on http://netrunnerdb.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Johannesburg Regional first place [brief report]
Stats courtesy of Nuno:

Tournament: 2014 Outer Limits JHB Regionals ZA
Players and Ranking
Rank Name Prestige WSW SoS RW CW W-T-L
1. Brendan
(Gabriel Santiago / Cerebral Imaging) 10 2 22 2 3 2-1-0
2. Sean
(Andromeda / Engineering the Future) 10 2 8 2 3 2-1-0
3. Chris
(Andromeda / Harmony Medtech) 10 1 16 1 2 1-1-0
4. Steven
(Andromeda / Tennin Institute) 9 2 13 2 3 2-1-0
5. Marco
(Andromeda / Making News) 8 2 10 2 2 2-0-1
6. Stanley
(Rielle "Kit" Peddler / GRNDL) 7 1 19 1 2 1-2-0
7. Vassilo
(Chaos Theory / Replicating Perfection) 7 1 18 2 1 1-1-1
8. John
(Rielle "Kit" Peddler / Making News) 6 1 27 1 2 1-1-1
9. Phillip
(Ken "Express" Tenma / Cerebral Imaging) 6 1 25 1 2 1-1-1
10. Helgard
(Reina Roja / Making News) 6 1 16 1 2 1-1-1
11. Luke
(Chaos Theory / Engineering the Future) 6 1 16 1 2 1-1-1
12. Terence
(Chaos Theory / The World is Yours*) 6 1 13 1 2 1-1-1
13. Sias
(Chaos Theory / Replicating Perfection) 4 1 14 1 1 1-0-2
14. Justin
(Iain Stirling / The World is Yours*) 2 0 23 0 1 0-1-2
15. Neil
(Andromeda / NEXT Design) 0 0 23 0 0 0-0-3
16. Liam
(Reina Roja / GRNDL) 0 0 20 0 0 0-1-2
WSW: Weak Side Wins / SoS: Strength of Schedule / RW: Runner Wins / CW: Corp Wins / W-T-L: Win-Tie-Loss
Results
Round 1
Sias vs Helgard 0 : 4 (R 0:2 C · C 0:2 R)
Marco vs Phillip 0 : 4 (R 0:2 C · C 0:2 R)
Brendan vs Luke 4 : 0 (R 2:0 C · C 2:0 R)
Liam vs Sean 0 : 2 (R 0:2 C · C 0:0 R)
Terence vs Stanley 0 : 4 (R 0:2 C · C 0:2 R)
Justin vs Vassilo 0 : 4 (R 0:2 C · C 0:2 R)
Neil vs Steven 0 : 4 (R 0:2 C · C 0:2 R)
Chris vs Bye 4 : 0 (R 2:0 C · C 2:0 R)
Round 2
Steven vs John 2 : 2 (R 0:2 C · C 2:0 R)
Vassilo vs Stanley 3 : 1 (R 2:0 C · C 1:1 R)
Brendan vs Helgard 4 : 0 (R 2:0 C · C 2:0 R)
Phillip vs Chris 0 : 4 (R 0:2 C · C 0:2 R)
Sean vs Justin 4 : 0 (R 2:0 C · C 2:0 R)
Liam vs Luke 0 : 4 (R 0:2 C · C 0:2 R)
Terence vs Neil 4 : 0 (R 2:0 C · C 2:0 R)
Marco vs Sias 4 : 0 (R 2:0 C · C 2:0 R)
Round 3
Chris vs Brendan 2 : 2 (R 0:2 C · C 2:0 R)
Vassilo vs Steven 0 : 3 (R 0:2 C · C 0:1 R)
Sean vs John 4 : 0 (R 2:0 C · C 2:0 R)
Stanley vs Phillip 2 : 2 (R 0:2 C · C 2:0 R)
Terence vs Luke 2 : 2 (R 0:2 C · C 2:0 R)
Helgard vs Justin 2 : 2 (R 0:2 C · C 2:0 R)
Sias vs Liam 4 : 0 (R 2:0 C · C 2:0 R)
Neil vs Marco 0 : 4 (R 0:2 C · C 0:2 R)
We then cut to the Top 4 where top seed Brendan went up against Steven who was seeded 4th at the time. The other match was between Chris (Regional Champion of 2013) faced off against Sean.
Semi Final Games
Brendan vs Steven (R 5:7 C · C 4:7 R)
Sean vs Chris (R 4:7 C · C 4:6 R Went to time)
3rd Place Play Off
Brendan vs Sean (R 7:2 C · C 7:2 R) Brendan takes 3rd place
Final
Chris vs Steven (R 4:7 C · C 2:7 R)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey man, I thought you'd look more like Jackie Chan. Congratz on the win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't conceding and accepting a concession illegal under manufacturing game state provisions?

I realize in this example there is no unsportsmanlike conduct happening like there is in the case of intentional draws - but I could see some people being angry of they feel that timed matches are part of the risk of bringing a deck like tennin lightning to a tournament

I thought there was something in the tournament rules regarding forfeit, but I don't see it in 1.4.1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Fetterkey
msg tools
mb
If that is a rule, it's a bad one. Conceding unwinnable or highly disadvantaged games when time runs out is just good sportsmanship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
Isn't conceding and accepting a concession illegal under manufacturing game state provisions?

I realize in this example there is no unsportsmanlike conduct happening like there is in the case of intentional draws - but I could see some people being angry of they feel that timed matches are part of the risk of bringing a deck like tennin lightning to a tournament

I thought there was something in the tournament rules regarding forfeit, but I don't see it in 1.4.1.

Per Lukas, you are allowed to concede a match but not a game. Even if you perceive your first game to be unwinnable, you cannot concede it in order to play the second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isawa Chuckles
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
At GenCon last year I pointed out that their time-loss system they were using meant it was better for you to concede than to actually lose at time, since it helped your Strength of Schedule more to give your opponent an actual win than a time-win.

They responded that conceding for any reason was collusion, which blew my mind as someone who has played CCGs competitively for a very long time. Combined with the non-alphabetized player pairings at the event (and the various changes to tournament resolution style over the last two years), I did not get a very good impression of FFG's grasp of tournament running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the report. Quick question as I have not played Netrunner in a while. On match 2/game 2, you say that he scored extra points on Beale using an Astroscript token. I thought they did not combo, all over advancements on Beale need to be "real" advancements. Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Thank you for the report. Quick question as I have not played Netrunner in a while. On match 2/game 2, you say that he scored extra points on Beale using an Astroscript token. I thought they did not combo, all over advancements on Beale need to be "real" advancements. Is this right?

Astroscript Power Tokens *are* real Advancements. I think you're thinking of SanSan City Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Isawa_Chuckles wrote:
Combined with the non-alphabetized player pairings at the event

What does this mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:

No, you are wrong. Advancement tokens from AstroScript are for real. You're probably confused by SanSan City Grid, which does not combo with Project Beale to get you more agenda points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:

He left a face-down card with one advancement token on it, then on his turn advanced it three times (4 tokens) then added one from his Astroscript (5) - 3 + 2 = 3 points Beale for the win.

I knew that was there but I couldn't get in. Just couldn't. Sigh. But looking back I made one or two mistakes that led to me not being able to get in. Though I was so behind (that 20 cred start was just painful) it felt pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

Astroscript Power Tokens *are* real Advancements. I think you're thinking of SanSan City Grid.

And, that reminds me how long it has been.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Captain_Frisk wrote:

Per Lukas, you are allowed to concede a match but not a game. Even if you perceive your first game to be unwinnable, you cannot concede it in order to play the second game.

Do you have a source for this - just received a response to my rules question: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1178357/concessions-duri..., but while I asked about Game / Match, the language he used in response was Game specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised corps didn't protect archives as much against Security Testing, Keyhole, and Senakdoor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
I'm surprised corps didn't protect archives as much against Security Testing, Keyhole, and Senakdoor.

Truth is some tried, but that doesn't really help. Security Testing was only really a clutch in some games, Keyhole didn't need a bunch of Archive hits, and Sneakdoor only came out once in a while and gets overwritten as soon as its not needed. I often Test run it and hit HQ 3 times if I feel that it might be needed then never install it again. Unless I need it again. I realise that Legwork would achieve that for less but it's not as flexible as Test Run. Test Run can do just about anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isawa Chuckles
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
etherial wrote:
Isawa_Chuckles wrote:
Combined with the non-alphabetized player pairings at the event

What does this mean?

Pairings at GenCon were posted by Table # instead of alphabetized by Last Name.

How it was done:
Table # Name 1 Name 2
Table 1: Bob G. Everyman VS John Johnson.
Table 2: Elder Tor VS Matt Grim
etc

Which meant you had to search both name columns for your name, in no discernable order, to find your Table Number... which was what the print-out was ordered by.

The normal way to post pairings:
Table# Name 1 Name 2
1 Everyman, Bob G. VS John Johnson
2 Grim, Matt VS Elder Tor
1 Johnson, John VS Bob G. Everyman
2 Tor, Elder VS Matt Grim
etc

It made the between-rounds time take forever, since everyone had to cluster around the pairings sheets and go over them searching for their individual names in a senseless sprawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Isawa_Chuckles wrote:
The normal way to post pairings

That system is nice. I've never seen it before, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.