Subject: First Game Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there everyone. After stumbling through our first game, we compiled a list of major questions/issues that we ran into. I apologize if these are frequent questions. Without further adieu, here goes:

The game was played with starter decks, Cthulhu vs. Agency

1. Do unchallenged stories give struggle bonuses? If my opponent commits someone who has an arcane struggle icon, and I do not defend, does he gain the benefit of readying one of his committed characters? If I commit a character with an investigation icon, and my opponent does not defend with anything, do I end up getting 3 clue icons (1 for the investigation struggle bonus, plus two for an uncontested story bonus)?

2. Is there any kind of "summoning sickness" for characters? Or can I commit characters to stories right after they have been played from my hand?

3. What does the -> icon mean on the "Local Sheriff" icon at the bottom near the badge symbol?

4. When can events be played, exactly? Can an opponent play an event when it is my turn?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you still win the icon struggles if you have at least one icon of that type and get the benefits.

2. No, cards come into play ready so there is no summoning sickness.

3. That is the symbol for a Transient card. Notice that he has two faction icons next to it as well. A resourced Transient card is worth two resources, but when you drain that domain the Transient card gets discarded. So, it's a temporary resource boost but then it puts you behind afterward. It's a good way to jump up a domain to play a cost 5-6 character later in the game but may not bd a worthwhile trade early on.

4. Look in your rulebook for the game phases diagram. See all the aorta where it says "actions can be played"? Those are action windows, and either player can play Events or use triggered actions on their Characters or Supports in play during these times. You'll notice that there are windows nearly all the time. Basically the only times you can't play an action are while stories are resolving and between drawing your two cards at the start of a turn. That is:

Action window
Active player commits
Action window
Defending player commits
Action window
Once you start doing icon struggles the window is closed until all struggles are done at all stories
Now there is an action window again
Characters go home
Action window
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
1. Yes, you still win the icon struggles if you have at least one icon of that type and get the benefits.

2. No, cards come into play ready so there is no summoning sickness.

3. That is the symbol for a Transient card. Notice that he has two faction icons next to it as well. A resourced Transient card is worth two resources, but when you drain that domain the Transient card gets discarded. So, it's a temporary resource boost but then it puts you behind afterward. It's a good way to jump up a domain to play a cost 5-6 character later in the game but may not bd a worthwhile trade early on.

4. Look in your rulebook for the game phases diagram. See all the aorta where it says "actions can be played"? Those are action windows, and either player can play Events or use triggered actions on their Characters or Supports in play during these times. You'll notice that there are windows nearly all the time. Basically the only times you can't play an action are while stories are resolving and between drawing your two cards at the start of a turn. That is:

Action window
Active player commits
Action window
Defending player commits
Action window
Once you start doing icon struggles the window is closed until all struggles are done at all stories
Now there is an action window again
Characters go home
Action window

Thank you for the answers, that clarifies things quite a bit.

Maybe this was because we didn't know what we were doing, but the game felt kind of devoid of much interaction. It seemed like one faction was heavily skewed toward one skill (Cthulhu side was all about the terror challenges, Agency was all about strength), so it was pretty much impossible to contest challenges for stories. One player would go for a story and get two clue tokens because he wasn't contested, then the other player would do the same thing, rinse and repeat until someone won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question, did you each have one faction with a full set of cards, or two factions? I think you use two factions in CoC per player. That gives more variety.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't played it a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a "starter deck"?

ETA: Yes, ordinarily CoC decks have two factions, and about 50 cards, although neither of those is bound by rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.