Hi guys, I just purchased the game 2days ago and this "within" thing is really bothering me. I actually played this game once with someone who really knows the rules but it was too long ago and I can't remember how he did it...
So far I only completed the first three adventures with my friend and this is my understanding of distance/range please CORRECT me if I'm wrong:
1, "within 1 tiles of you" so this tile can be the [current tile] or any the adjacent (non-diagonal)
2.So if this is the case, "within 3 tiles" would be counting up to 3 other tiles starting with the adjacent one?
3.and "1 tile away" would mean "one of the the adjacent tiles only"?
4.If it's an AOE ability, like "SPEAR GAUNTLET", then it is selecting targets on the current tile and all the other four adjacent tiles (if exist) ?
5. since most monsters' Tactics start with "within in one tile..." does this mean that the one who explored who always take the first attack?
6. The moves listed in a monster's tactics can only be applied once per turn right? So if the monster meets other options after resolving the previous one it just ignores it. Then is this the same situation to the named monsters/villains? For example, Klak, after exploring a new tile it just does nothing or keeps applying the rest abilities (if the tile Klak stood had a new tile attached on was also containing a Hero does this applies FIRE?)?
And some other things... wow i didnt realize i had so many questions..
7. Wizard's Lightning Bolt.... How many monsters exactly? Sorry about my awful English... it'll get better..
8. Trap-Alarm, does this keep triggering as long as existed? Is there a limit of the number of monsters to spawn?
9. Sliding Walls, so the active player choose the directions of numbers of the wall randomly before rolling?
Ok that is a lot to read, I'll just stop here and no matter you can or cannot help with my confusions thank you so much for reading this, some questions might be just dumb and caused only by my poor english skill but yea, I'm glad to provide stuff to laugh about
1. Correct, assuming they are not fully blocked by a wall.
5. Not necessarily. If there is another Hero on that tile, the Monster may attack the closer Hero or the Hero of the active player’s choice, or even both Heroes, depending on its tactic.
6. Only one tactic per activation. You find the first tactic listed for which the condition is satisfied, follow that and ignore the rest.
7. For reference, from the wiki it says:
Attack one, two, or three Monsters. Each Monster can be within 1 tile of you. 1–3 seems clear enough.
8. It activates on every Villain phase of the controlling player until someone disables it. No inherent limit, but the practical limit is when the controlling player already has every type of Monster Card in his posession. Caveat: page 6 of the rules say a player discards a drawn Monster Card which matches one he already has when placing a new Monster during the Exploration phase. I assume the same restriction applies to placing new monsters during the Villain phase, but this is not explicitly stated.
9. Since the direction of the effect is determined by a random roll, the orientation of the marker does not matter.
Thank you so much！Now I'll be a prepared instructor for the next boardgame club! Thanks !
I've always assumed that the lighting bolt can hit upto 3 monsters on 3 different tiles (so long as they are within 1 tile), is this how everyone else plays?
Its a pretty good cleanup spell!