Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: How to enjoy Magic without deckbuilding? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always avoided Magic because I'm afraid of the CCG nature. I'm worried I'll spend too much money and time on one game. I also don't really enjoy deckbuilding and would rather just play games.

But I recently tried the game and it was fun and wouldn't mind playing it some more. None of my gaming friends play Magic either, so I'm looking to get a few decks together that are not too complex to play and are fun. I'm thinking even 5 decks, one of each color?

Can anybody recommend the easiest and/or cheapest way to go about this? I heard there are Duel Packs?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the easiest ways would be to order all 5 intro decks for any release. These are all designed to play against one another and will give you the flavor of the set in which they reside.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of each of the new Commander precons. There are 5 in 5 different color combinations with 5 different play styles (kinda). It'll set you back a little over $100 At Target.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always buy a lot of cards and build a Cube or a Wizard's Tower. The Cube would allow you to play limited formats such as sealed or draft, while the Tower doesn't require any setup because you draft your deck while you play.

Large common lots can be obtained cheaply from various online retailers. You can also pick up sets of 4 of each common and uncommon card from a set. If you buy one of these from a large set such as the upcoming Magic 2015 you will end up with hundreds of cards for around $40. You may also need to pick up some lands.

A Fat Pack can be picked up for $35 and will give you everything you need to play the Wizard's Tower format.

Wizard's Tower: https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/da...

Cube: https://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/resources.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/r...
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
I have always avoided Magic because I'm afraid of the CCG nature. I'm worried I'll spend too much money and time on one game. I also don't really enjoy deckbuilding and would rather just play games.

But I recently tried the game and it was fun and wouldn't mind playing it some more. None of my gaming friends play Magic either, so I'm looking to get a few decks together that are not too complex to play and are fun. I'm thinking even 5 decks, one of each color?

Can anybody recommend the easiest and/or cheapest way to go about this? I heard there are Duel Packs?


The Duel Decks are a good way to go if you don't want to deck build, also the intro deck suggestion.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
One of the easiest ways would be to order all 5 intro decks for any release. These are all designed to play against one another and will give you the flavor of the set in which they reside.


That sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm hoping these are generally fairly balanced with each other and have some built-in synergies? Do they balance well across releases or only within their 5-pack?

Is there any recommendation on which release? Does each release have different play styles, mechanics, and/or theme?

Here are some I found:

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_search.php?pa=searchOnName&...

(yes, I'm sure these are all noob questions, thanks for your patience!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
trmptdrummer wrote:
One of each of the new Commander precons. There are 5 in 5 different color combinations with 5 different play styles (kinda). It'll set you back a little over $100 At Target.


Interesting -- is this it?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/192291

How do these commander decks compare to the intro decks? These seem to be multi-colored, so I'm assuming they are more advanced decks? How well are they balanced with each other?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
trmptdrummer wrote:
One of each of the new Commander precons. There are 5 in 5 different color combinations with 5 different play styles (kinda). It'll set you back a little over $100 At Target.


Interesting -- is this it?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/192291

How do these commander decks compare to the intro decks? These seem to be multi-colored, so I'm assuming they are more advanced decks? How well are they balanced with each other?


Edit: Yes thats them and a good deal!

They are more advance than the intro decks. I think they are fairly well balanced for new players.

They are 100 cards compared to 60 intro decks. I like them more because they have more verity than an intro deck (no two cards are the same) and better cards in general. The intro decks are for learning to play and the commander precons have more advance strategies and synergies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, they are designed for multiplayer however. Personally I prefer the game enormously as a 1 vs 1 game. If you do as well it might be better to go for other decks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Commander is fun but play in a completly different way then plain magic, it even have different rules
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you're looking for not too complex decks. Commander decks are complex though...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From what you've said you want, the intro decks are your best option. You'll get a set of 5 easy to play decks in different colors. You can probably find a good deal on a set if you look on ebay. I'd look for a core set (Magic 2014, or some other year) for the simplest set. Do be aware, though, that the decks come bundled with some bonus booster packs, which, if opened, may tempt you into deck building, or at least tweaking the intro decks.

I'd stay away from the Commander decks (this, from someone who loves them), because Commander is a different play format designed for multiplayer. The decks are bigger and a bit more complex, and the format has different rules. If multplayer is an option for you, one of us can go a bit more in depth.

I'd also stay away from a Cube (one of my favorite formats), which is drafting and building a deck on the fly, with a limited card pool.

Your other option are the Duel Decks, which are a pair if decks designed to be balanced against each other. Some are more complex than others (stay clear of anything with planeswalkers), but Heroes vs Monsters would do well for you, I think. The upside is that they give you 2 decks for $20, which is pretty affordable for a complete 2 player game.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for all the help. I picked up the intro packs, a couple of cheap duel packs, and one Premium Deck Series - Fire and Lightning because it looked cool...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Lightning and Fire is really cool and has one of my favorite spin down life counters. Consider also picking up one of the challenge decks so you can play solo or co-op with a friend. I like the Hydra challenge but the new one (defeat a god?) is just out this weekend. An event deck will also give you a "no deckbuilding needed" option to have a standard legal deck that can hold its own. I am not sure you would want one but if you ever show up at a store or if one of your friends is into deckbuilding, this could be a good alternative for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
Remember, they are designed for multiplayer however. Personally I prefer the game enormously as a 1 vs 1 game. If you do as well it might be better to go for other decks.


For what its worth, I enjoy playing the commander precons 1 vs 1.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
One other option is the Clash Pack that will be part of the Magic 2015 release:

https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/da...

They're skiping the Event Deck for M15 and are instead releasing the two-player Clash Pack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
One other option is the Clash Pack that will be part of the Magic 2015 release:

https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/da...

They're skiping the Event Deck for M15 and are instead releasing the two-player Clash Pack.


I did not know that. Looks very interesting on paper.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M.
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
Seabie wrote:
Remember, they are designed for multiplayer however. Personally I prefer the game enormously as a 1 vs 1 game. If you do as well it might be better to go for other decks.


For what its worth, I enjoy playing the commander precons 1 vs 1.


I do as well. My wife and I always have a good time playing the precons against each other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
kirkbauer wrote:
Thanks so much for all the help. I picked up the intro packs, a couple of cheap duel packs, and one Premium Deck Series - Fire and Lightning because it looked cool...


How much did you pick up that Fire and Lightning for? They've been hard to find on store shelves (for me) recently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cattlemark wrote:
kirkbauer wrote:
Thanks so much for all the help. I picked up the intro packs, a couple of cheap duel packs, and one Premium Deck Series - Fire and Lightning because it looked cool...


How much did you pick up that Fire and Lightning for? They've been hard to find on store shelves (for me) recently.


It was $50 (seems to be about the going price).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
kirkbauer wrote:

It was $50 (seems to be about the going price).


Ah, alright. Thought maybe you had found a copy still sitting on some retail shelves for around $30. Yeah, ebay prices hang around $50.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found for around 30 at a store just this pas Thanksgiving.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cicimeena Almon

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, this is like saying "I'd like to eat ice cream that isn't cold." Half the fun is building decks and fighting them out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll state my usual response: Get a 4x set of commons/uncommons for a Core set (M14 or M15 when it comes out) and use that to build decks, draft, Wizards Tower (new to me this thread!) or other fun stuff.

Closed meta, closed wallet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny S
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Blades in the Dark by John Harper - twitter.com/john_harper
badge
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -CS Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vveaponx wrote:
delirimouse wrote:
Seabie wrote:
Remember, they are designed for multiplayer however. Personally I prefer the game enormously as a 1 vs 1 game. If you do as well it might be better to go for other decks.


For what its worth, I enjoy playing the commander precons 1 vs 1.


I do as well. My wife and I always have a good time playing the precons against each other.


Sorry to threadjack, but which of the pre cons match up best in your experience? Just getting started myself!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.