Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I don't know how I feel about the idea of a fourth runner or fifth corp faction. I think it might be fun to have another faction, but of course there's the huge problem of the existing card pool for the other factions - one deluxe expansion won't make a difference compared to all the cards the other factions already have.

But I had a really weird idea the other day that might make a few new factions not only possible, but a lot of fun. The new factions just have a lot of influence points to spend. 30, perhaps. That way they can use more of the existing cards, and could make for a lot of variety in deck possibilities.

Thematically, I thought of a few ways the new factions could work (I was bored on the toilet, can you tell?).

Corp: McDonald's. Some big fast food joint using bioroids and clones to staff their places, building a lot of buildings with Weyland, and advertising a lot on NBN. This place obviously has a lot of pull with all the big companies and has a lot to hide from the runners.

Runner faction: The Government. An FBI or NSA agent trying to stop the illegal operations of the corps. They have a lot of influence because they can take what they want from the criminals, anarchs, and shapers.

As I said before about this, I have mixed feelings about whether they should actually do this, but it might be fun. What does anyone else think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...a new faction gets released with 30 inf identities, and two or three cycles pass, so they're at roughly the in-faction card pool that current factions have right now...

...Do you errata those identities down to a more reasonable influence, or let them be extremely overpowered with the all the cards they can pull from out of faction?

(Personally, I don't see the need for new factions, but if it must be done at some point, I still kind of like the idea of a Neutral fourth Runner faction to even out the sides. Similar to your idea, it'd sport a higher influence total than the other "proper" factions (though still not 30), but without the extra bonus of its own in-faction power added to them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, other similar games (like CoC) have had an extra faction released afterwards (Order of the silver twilight). So it is perfectly feasible.

They started with a deluxe expansion with 55 cards...and every expansion since them gave them a few more cards than the existing factions. At the beginning they will have a smaller pool, but it not so terrible, is it? On the worst case you an import their cards as OOF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could also be possible to have a faction that has 15 influence points but neutral points do not count towards the total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Nagy
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not an issue to introduce new faction, but I don't see a reason.

- First of all these faction need an background, that closes a hole the current factions leave.
- Second they also need to fill a mechanic hole the others can't.

Just for that alone I currently see no reason to add anything new in this direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
For the most part I agree, but I do think the "Gov't" as a runner could be an interesting idea. Alternatively, take it a step further and make Gov't cards w/ a greenback (no pun intended ) so that they can be played as either runner or corp. Obviously the the core of each side would have to be distinct (ice/agendas for the corp and hardware/programs for the runner) but the economy and support cards could be generic enough to play either side.

Interesting twist I would think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted the Order of Sol as another Corp. I'd make them Brown. There's still tons of areas for them to operate within: they could be experts with Mythic ice or a new form of ICE, even.

Then there's the Dreamers, a group of Runners that run for political reasons. I'd make them pink. Unfortunately, my initial idea for them has kinda been done in cards like Copycat: bouncing around.

If these two ever came out, I'd change up data-packs to be 2 cards per faction and 1 neutral for each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
Well, other similar games (like CoC) have had an extra faction released afterwards (Order of the silver twilight). So it is perfectly feasible.

How is Android: Netrunner like Call of Cthulhu? I play both, and they are very different games. Also, I believe that the Silver Twilight were brought in for game balancing reasons, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A neutral runner would actually have access to Lucky Find, Oracle, Donut and The Source all for "free". So if they keep printing neutral cards with influence costs, a neutral runner would be viable pretty soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Trew
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Kandiru wrote:
A neutral runner would actually have access to Lucky Find, Oracle, Donut and The Source all for "free". So if they keep printing neutral cards with influence costs, a neutral runner would be viable pretty soon.

Possibly too powerful? I thought the idea of neutral cards with influence were that they were so universally good that they eclipsed cards that were in-faction or they needed to reduce the amount you could shore-up your faction's weaknesses...
What would a neutral runner faction be bad at?

fh13's idea of government green-backed cards makes me wonder if you could then have identities for that faction, but have identities for both sides
e.g. New Angeles Civil Service as a corp and some form of spec-ops hacker for a runner (the pre-retirement peer of Iain?)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Neutral Runner discussion again. Not going to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Trew
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
The Neutral Runner discussion again. Not going to happen.

I wasn't discussing the feasibility (if it happens it happens), I was just arguing a what-if and giving Kandiru a counter argument I saw.

Personally, I've not seen a true discussion on what a neutral runner faction (well, ID really) might be or consist of. I've seen discussions on what the next deluxe boxes might hold, whether another non-neutral faction might be included (the OP sort of being one of those) and what it might be like, and whether there will be a neutral faction or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Burkhead
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Neutral runners are of course possible, but I for one feel that their balance would be headache inducingly difficult. Consider how many people feel Anarc is broken because they have little in faction economy and draw and their best toys are exportable. I can't see many ways to not make the neutral runner either the red headed step child or the golden boy with everything and then some.

I could see the place for extra factions in theory, but I'm not in favor of them. I do like the ideas presented, I just am happy with the present lay of the land.

If I were going to make a neutral corp I would likely make them a massive cyber security tech firm. A company that has no diversity, they make ice, that's it. But again being the only corporation who's agendas are spashable would be wierd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
A whole faction devoted to neutral cards seems pretty boring to me (as Neutral cards are pretty much the grist support cards that fit anywhere), but a (factionless) neutral ID or two with 30+ influence would be fun to screw around with. Has anyone tried it? I imagine you'd just end up mostly using a lot of the under-costed core cards.

As for new factions, I think it's almost inevitable when A:NR loses some traction, if only because a whole new "feel" might bring in new/returning players.

A while back I brainstormed a suite of homebrew cards for a clandestine government spook runner faction. (Call them Citadel, Intersec, whatever.) It fills a thematic niche that is barely represented right now. And in terms of mechanics, I don't think NR has a clearly defined, immutable "Color septagon". A new faction could embrace a new mechanic, creating and filling a "hole" all at once. Maybe the shadows are the only runners who can initiate a Counter-trace. Who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Friff14 wrote:
Runner faction: The Government. An FBI or NSA agent trying to stop the illegal operations of the corps. They have a lot of influence because they can take what they want from the criminals, anarchs, and shapers.

That doesn't fit at all. This is cyberpunk, the government is a corporate puppet at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.