Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing an auction game with 49 figuring so prominently in the title, board size, and starting cash immediately made me think of the novel "The Crying of Lot 49" by Thomas Pynchon and wonder if this was coincidence or intentional allusion...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With each piece you put down you become more and more convinced that your opponents are actually part of an elaborate conspiracy making you doubt your ability to truly know anything for sure.

Also, in the middle of the game you have to stop and play a full game of Thurn and Taxis, the winner of which is declared the Potsmaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
msg tools
designer
publisher
russ wrote:
Seeing an auction game with 49 figuring so prominently in the title, board size, and starting cash immediately made me think of the novel "The Crying of Lot 49" by Thomas Pynchon and wonder if this was coincidence or intentional allusion...?

Would that I were clever enough—or literate enough—to pull off a Pynchon allusion in naming my game. (But maybe in my next project: Gravitas Rainbow.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
There is no such thing as coincidence

“Everybody who says the same words is the same person if the spectra are the same only they happen differently in time, you dig? But the time is arbitrary. You pick your zero point anywhere you want, that way you can shuffle each person’s time line sideways till they all coincide.” - The Crying of Lot 49
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.