Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played Pathfinder with my group, but they went dead on it pretty fast and now I want to play it solo to get that adventure feeling again.

When I played with my friends we helped each other out as much as we could, and that leads me to wonder if this game is even possible to play decently with just 1 hero or if I need to play solo with 2 (or more?) heroes to make it work.

I dont have a problem with playing more than 1 character in a game like Arkham Horror or Pandemic, but in card driven games it seems like a bad idea unless ppl can explain some smart way to do it - I dont want to constantly look at both the hands to remember what the other hero has and if any of it can help the active hero.

Poll
How many heroes do play when soloing?
One
Two
Three
Four or more
      113 answers
Poll created by Pouvla
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the characters are not suited to play through the campaign by themselves and live. I am on adventure deck 4 with two characters and have been enjoying myself. I just have two playmates that I use to keep the characters cards separated. You don't have to purchase the Uper-Deck ones, there are plenty that you can download and print from BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurax golden chubby dragon
msg tools
I played solo till deck 5 with 2 chars and 4 chars, and both experiences have been great. It is not that difficult to track who has what cards and the interaction between characters is great.

I recommend playing with 2 first, then if you find it too easy or simple give it a go with 4.

Playing with just 1 character may be too difficult for closing some locations/overcoming some challenges, unless you are Lini Lini can solo this game fairly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with anywhere from 1 to 4 characters, and I'd have to say games with 3 or 4 have been the most enjoyable for me overall. A party of 2 is still nice once in a while, though.

I feel like a single character is a pretty big crapshoot. You could try increasing the number of locations if you find you're blowing through scenarios too easily. Even then, I've eventually gotten bored with only one character on the table, personally.

I always play with hands face-up for convenience, and you may want to try that out too, Pouvla. It's kind of a bad snapshot (sorry!), but this is a quick mockup of the general layout I use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I experimented with every group size from 1 to 6 solo. I settled on 3 working best for me.

On the one hand, I wanted enough characters that most of the types of card would be valuable to someone. At the most basic level, I saw that as having someone who wanted Ranged weapons, Melee Weapons, Arcane spells, and Divine spells. There is much more that goes into making characters different from one another, but that was a simple basic understanding. That sort of set my minimum.

On the other hand, I didn't want so many characters that setup took too long, especially with the idea of switching from a party I played with a group to my solo party, so rebuilding characters. And I didn't want too many that I couldn't keep track of who might be able to help who with what. Even with them faceup, I wanted the game to play quickly by me simply knowing what cards were "in hands" and being familiar enough with the cards to just play them. That was influencing my maximum.

After experimenting, I found 3 worked for me and I chose Valeros, Seoni, and Kyra. I don't really have a ranged weapon character, but I got 3 out of the 4. And Valeros stocks a bow or two for assistance at other locations. With 4 or more characters, it was just too much for me to keep track of their hands. That's a personal threshold though, I'm sure others can manage 4, 5, or even 6 solo just fine. Just as I'm sure others will prefer 2 or even 1 for their personal taste.

Like Kurt, I put their hands face up. I use my own accessories to organize them and the locations. I find the visual border around everything makes it easier for me to keep them clear in my mind.

I also like to use standees instead of the character token cards. There are lots of those in the files section that you can find. I like it just because it takes up less space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my personal opinion:

1-The rulebook tells you not to play with only one character, but if you do, the only problem you'll face is no one is good at everything. This means you can easily run into something you can't pass (Barrier or location closing usually though some monsters inc. Villains and Henchmen). The book tells you to just swap those things out though that sounds like a lame workaround imho.

2-Pick two complimentary players so everything that was a problem with 1 is covered now. However, the game is way too easy as you only have 40 cards to go through in 30 turns.

3-You now should have a good balance with every skill at least at a d8 or better. Unfortunately, several of the scenarios are constructed as to be absurdly easy with fewer than 5 characters (by stripping out the only challenge) making 3 player games as easy as 2.

4-You finally start hitting the 30 card timer, the scenarios are suitably difficult, and you should have every type of character in your party. The challenge is building.

5-We have reached the level where every game is tense right to the end. The Villains are a little easier to defeat due to multiple blessings being available, but you have to find him first. Everything gets harder after you start AP3 as you can banish a whole lot of the Basic banes with the same in AP5 with Elites. Oddly, my boon pulls have been pretty equal between 3 and 5 character parties with any increase due mainly to the beneficial barriers.

6-This is the best way to play the game, hands down. Time is a massive factor (tip: find that Holy Candle fast), you get all of the scenario difficulty, see all of the locations, and see all of the cards (well, almost all; curse you longspear and shopkeeper's daughter for hiding). Your party gets to be wonderfully diverse, and some of those character powers that are pretty useless in small groups come to bear. It will take longer to setup and you might forget to use a power here and there, but it is way more enjoyable than 3 or fewer.

If you can't bear to play with 6, try 5. Just remember to ignore the book's recommended starting decks as the allies don't give you extra explores which are mandatory in large parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play solo with 3 characters, it just flows better and you've got a diverse group to overcome most monsters and obstacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I can't play with less than three now. It's boring. With my ongoing solo game I'm playing 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing with two (Ezren and Seelah).
Neither boring nor absolutely easy.
The (dice, etc. ) luck factor and the randomness of the elements present in the locations allow many challenging situations.
When things go wrong, a scenario can become quite easily difficult or impossible to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I played, I used two. It didn't go well. Wrong mix of skills, bad dice rolls, deeply buried henchmen and villains. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

The second and third time, I used one (Seelah). It was fine, the games were pretty easy, but it wasn't very exciting. Finished both with my deck not being upgraded at all.

Played the next with three, much more exciting, but lost, and had an unlucky double death (of the two besides Seelah - sometimes the dice and cards are not nice, that one extra explore that pulls the skeleton horde...)

So I've played with three since (Seelah, Kyra, Sajan), and it's been much more fun and the greater variety of locations (and cards in general) has made it more interesting. My decks are growing, I'm starting to find better balance between the three, the imaginary interactions between these three amuses me, etc...

And three now just feels right. Not overwhelming. If I play again (solo) I may play with more, but I'll stick with three for this playthrough I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
How bad is it managing multiple characters by yourself? Is there a lot to keep track of? (forgive my ignorance, haven't played yet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't too bad. You'll need space. Each character will have a deck, a discard pile, a character card, and a hand, which can eventually get up to about 10 cards.

I find I can personally manage to keep track of 3 characters at once and still manage to play quickly enough. I'm sure its a personal preference thing though, as I know others enjoy playing 6 characters solo.

But 2 characters is definitely very manageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
It isn't too bad. You'll need space. Each character will have a deck, a discard pile, a character card, and a hand, which can eventually get up to about 10 cards.

I find I can personally manage to keep track of 3 characters at once and still manage to play quickly enough. I'm sure its a personal preference thing though, as I know others enjoy playing 6 characters solo.

But 2 characters is definitely very manageable.

How is this game compared to Runebound solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer 4, though I play with the locations for 5 because I think playing everybody yourself makes it a little easier (you can coordinate better, synergize more effectively, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a bit of a different dynamic when you're playing multiple characters solo. You don't need to "convince" other players to go all-in on helping you get key boons, and nobody feels the need to hold back blessings or allies so that they can explore more on their own turn. I've also found three to be the ideal number. Six is a bit too busy, and as Hawkmoon said it takes a while to set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
I think 6 is the most fun way to play, because you get the full experience, see the most cards, and make the most interesting decisions. On the other hand, I never play 6 because it involves so much more space and effort to set up and play.

Call me crazy, but I think PACG would've been so much better as a PC game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
Call me crazy, but I think PACG would've been so much better as a PC game.

Necro!

I've only played multiplayer with the physical sets. All of my solo games (two full RotR campaigns) are on the PC version, which of course is now widely available. One was a 5-player solo campaign, and one was a 6-player solo campaign. Both were great fun, though the PC version is buggier than it should be. The 6-player was a real challenge, as it should be.

I'd eventually like to try Mavaro (from Mummy's Mask) as a character in a solo campaign, as in theory he can be good at almost everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Necro again! zombie

Speaking of the computer game, some of the later adventures after the base set are next to impossible without the right skills, or abilities. How about that Wisdom 8 check with a d4? Or the location where you can't cast spells? Or the villain who's immune to poison, cold, and electricity? You can get items to compensate, but three or four characters works better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.