Subject: Round Play Area - Looking for Suggestions/Opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm designing a 3 on 3 team-play scenario for a convention event and my instincts are to make the play area 5 ft (about 1.5 meters) round due to the nature of the scenario.

The scenario will also have a lot of large obstacles with objects to collect near the obstacles. Points will be given primarily for picking up objects but secondarily for shooting down enemy ships.

Huge ships like the Tantive and Transport obviously won't work. Small fighters will probably work the best, but I'm trying to space the obstacles (2 range increments apart) so that the YT-1300 and Firespray are viable.

I'm looking for opinions and suggestions.

Does anyone feel this deviates too much from the standard rules?

I'd like to surprise people with the scenario so how much information MUST I reveal for people to construct effective squadron builds?

How do players normally handle 3D obstacles when they're trying to lay down a movement template?

Any other things I should consider? Would you be interested in playing an event such as this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a space perspective:

Epic play is 18 square feet of space (6'x3') and uses 300 point fleets. 5' diameter is 19.6 square feet of space, so very comparable if all you players field a 100 point fleet. In that amount of space, depending on how many asteroids you put in, the big ships are very viable. As well are the YT and Firespray!

From a 3d terrain:

There's a local store near me that has 3d terrain - asteroids, ringed planets, etc. Star Trek minis look great with planets around that are roughly 4" in diameter, as well they can fly "through" them with a large forward straight. The planet is big enough you just hover the template above it. You're not going to be splitting hairs around a planet or large object, I'd just make sure that all of the objects are smaller than a ~3.5 straight maneuver so that ships can clear it with a 4 straight if they bump it. Or, you could get a sock puppet worm and... well, you know.
This same shop has a 3' long super star destroyer that looks really good! Ships can move onto the star destroyer even though its 3d. They normally play everything on 4'x4' areas.

As for info beforehand on the squad, is there a mission even vaguely similar you could tell your players to construct their fleet to cater to? That way, the mechanics of the scenario are built around without delving the details. Your scenario sounds good, I'm sure with the areas and obstacles you have it will be a ton of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The terrain I'm using is from an aquarium store, some objects as high as 1 ft, just to give a grandeur to the scene.

I'm going to need to playtest to make sure moving is still easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Would you be interested in playing an event such as this?

Yes, this sounds really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.