Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
I wonder if this would work. Instead of trading one card at a time, players would have to trade their entire offerings. That way the trademaster's choice of 2, 3 or 4 cards becomes more important. Also, if no one trades with you, you keep your offering, so there would be a bluffing element to the game.

Say you have an 8-card hand and you have to offer four; do you keep your four 2's or your four different cards? Or some combination? How will your opponents break up their hands?

The reason I suggest this is that it seemed too easy to get a hand of different cards to cash in for VPs when picking them one at a time. If you have to take a player's entire offering of cards, at least that way you may be stuck with some that you don't want. I'm not sure how the market would work -- maybe you can exchange just one card there....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like the one-at-a-time card trading because it feels interactive, and I think the Trade Master's decision to exchange 2, 3, or 4 cards that round is already an important one without modifications.

Also, I believe your "all card" variant would leave players without any new cards more often than the current rules (keep their offered cards). You say this would be like "bluffing", but I see the ability to make minor modifications to your hand composition in the trading phase an already interesting challenge.

I can also imagine that it would be very frustrating if you were the person who had their entire offering taken as the final trade and there were no more available offerings- in this situation, the Trade Master (who received 2 full offerings) would have to give you 2, 3, or 4 cards from their hand to balance out the trades. This would be hugely powerful and may certainly unbalance the game.

Remember that the Trade Master also chooses who goes first in Development Phase, so her/his title is already considerably powerful without modification.

Games are made to played though, so feel free to try playing your variant and report back in the forums whether it added the desired element to the game that you thought it lacked. I would be interested to read it

Cheers and enjoy experimenting!

-Jordan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.