Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I played my very first game of WIZ-WAR last night; four players. It was a lot of fun - the most fun I've had with a game in a while.

Did have a question - at one point, one of my opponents hit me with a power thrust. I countered with pain link, which is a spell that is both a neutral and a counter - it has both the green and purple symbols. He countered with negate neutral to cancel pain link. I protested, arguing that I was playing pain link as a counter and not as a neutral. He said it's a neutral also, because of the green symbol. I went ahead and capitulated to be sporting, and my pain link went to the discard pile (I went on to win anyways, heh heh.)

So who was right?

Very fun game. I barely pulled off a victory by killing the green wizard and getting one treasure. Had I not managed to win, the blue wizard would've won on her next turn as she had her second treasure and was a single space away from her home base.

We played with the basic FFG rules, no optionals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You were right. Cards that are of multiple types (like neutral and counter) mean that they can be played as either one. When played as a particular type (counter in your case) they are treated as only that type for intents and purposes. So you can't play Negate Neutral on a card played as a counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, Mike's scored a good point here. You cast pain-link as a counter, so that you needed something able to cancel the counter (like Anti-Anti) to get rid of it, and not Negate Neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Yup, Mike's scored a good point here. You cast pain-link as a counter, so that you needed something able to cancel the counter (like Anti-Anti) to get rid of it, and not Negate Neutral.

Does Anti-Anti work there against pain link though? I read anti anti as triggering when one of your spells is targeted by a counter. Pain Link targets a wizard, so I don't think anti anti would do the trick either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
smcclure415 wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:

Does Anti-Anti work there against pain link though? I read anti anti as triggering when one of your spells is targeted by a counter. Pain Link targets a wizard, so I don't think anti anti would do the trick either.

Fair point. You're right, Pain Link wording suggests you cast the spell on yourself when attacked. So, Anti-Anti shouldn't trigger, since Pain Link is not targetting one of your spells. Good catch, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.