Popular Tags: [View All]
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

During the winter of 1927-28 officials of the Federal government made a strange and secret investigation of certain conditions in the ancient Massachusetts seaport of Innsmouth. The public first learned of it in February, when a vast series of raids and arrests occurred, followed by the deliberate burning and dynamiting - under suitable precautions - of an enormous number of crumbling, worm-eaten, and supposedly empty houses along the abandoned waterfront. Uninquiring souls let this occurrence pass as one of the major clashes in a spasmodic war on liquor.

Keener news-followers, however, wondered at the prodigious number of arrests, the abnormally large force of men used in making them, and the secrecy surrounding the disposal of the prisoners. No trials, or even definite charges were reported; nor were any of the captives seen thereafter in the regular gaols of the nation. There were vague statements about disease and concentration camps, and later about dispersal in various naval and military prisons, but nothing positive ever developed ... Only one paper - a tabloid always discounted because of its wild policy - mentioned the deep diving submarine that discharged torpedoes downward in the marine abyss just beyond Devil Reef. That item, gathered by chance in a haunt of sailors, seemed indeed rather far-fetched; since the low, black reef lay a full mile and a half out from Innsmouth Harbour.

OVERVIEW
Rated R
This game will be based on H.P. Lovecraft's short story, The Shadow Over Innsmouth. It will require no knowledge of the story, but may spoil some story elements. The story can be found online at http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/theshadowover...

As a player new to online werewolf, I've particularly enjoyed reading acekim's fun and thematic Alien and Aliens games. However, I didn't want to join a complicated game like Aliens for fear of making stupid decisions and disrupting the game for the veteran players. The goal of this game is to provide a thematic experience that is deep enough for veterans but accessible enough for newer players. However, this is NOT a "newbie game," and players should feel free to vote and/or kill new players on the first day. This game is also intended to gauge interest in the theme before I post another more elaborate Lovecraft themed game.

A Request
This is the first werewolf game I have run. If anyone sees any problems here, even if you aren't interested in playing, I would really appreciate it if you'd let me know.

COMPLEXITY
Easy+, with a few twists (Obed & an uncertain roster). Anyone who appreciates the theme is encouraged to play.

GOOD

4-8 Tourists, who decided that it would be fun to take the bus to Innsmouth rather than the train straight to Arkham (Villagers).
1-3 Federal Agents, in town investigating rumors about Innsmouth (Hunter. If one Agent and one Innsmouth Look remain, the Agent kills the evil player and the feds raid the town.)
0-1 Scientist, who learns the exact identity of lynch victims.
0-1 Fisherman, who learns the exact identity of night kill victims.
1 Zadok Allen, the half-crazed, liquorish nonagenarian whose tales of old Innsmouth and its shadows were so hideous and incredible. (Seer. Once per night, will PM the moderator and learn whether a player is "fishy" or not. The Priest and Obed appear as "not fishy.")

EVIL

2 Innsmouth Look – Every night, these Innsmouth residents will select a player to be taken away by the Deep Ones. (Werewolves with full PM rights. Please CC le_cygne on all messages. Evil wins when they achieve parity with the village. They do not know who has a Monstrous Ancestry.)
1 Monstrous Ancestry – An outsider who has recently learned of family roots in Innsmouth. (Wolf Cub that is promoted to full Innsmouth Look, including PM rights, upon the death of someone with the Look. Does not factor into parity and does not know the identity of the players with the Look.)
1 Priest of the Esoteric Order of Dagon (Sorcerer. Wins with evil, but does not know the other evil players. With a night view, will detect Zadok Allen or an Agent and learn that character's role.)

SPECIAL/EVIL
1 Obed Marsh, a sailor who digs batrachian lips, bulbous eyes, and scaly hips. (Does not win normally with evil. Major victory for the two remaining players if they are Obed and a player with the Innsmouth Look. Eeew.)

There are no secret roles or secret abilities.

Logistics
Lynches will occur Monday through Friday, and weekends will serve as long days. The game will begin on a Monday through Friday after enough players have signed up. I will announce the official first day's lynch time in this post and PM player roles at least 24 hours before first lynch.

Lynch Rules
Lynches will occur M-F at 4pm BGG (US CST)
Longest Held Last Vote will break ties.
Votes and unvotes in edited posts are not valid, and all votes must be bolded.
Conditional votes are discouraged, but may be accepted at the moderator's discretion.

Night Actions/PMs
Players with the Innsmouth Look may PM each other at any time (CC le_cygne on all messages). No other players may PM.
Night actions will be due by daybreak, 7PM BGG, and may be sent early at any time during the day. Players are encouraged to submit night orders as soon as possible.
Night actions that I have not received by 7PM BGG will occur at random.
Daybreak will occur earlier if all night orders have been received before 7PM.

Role Revelation
Lynch victims will be revealed as FISHY or NOT FISHY (Monstrous Ancestry reveals as FISHY).
The roles and alignment of night kill victims will not be revealed, as the victims' bodies will be dragged into the depths of Devil's Reef. Players with the Innsmouth Look will learn the role of their victim if they have killed an auxilliary evil (including Obed).

Night Zero
The Priest of the EOD and Zadok Allen will receive random negative N0 views.

Zombie posts should contain no game information, and hopefully involve hilarious roleplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Shadow Over Innsmouth - Lovecraft Themed Game (Signup)
Cultists:

1. GrimJester
2. kuchick
3. Cromaa
4. greek2me
5. xlorp
6. LudesFactor
7. CapAp
8. Shugyosha
9. path12
10. houndsoftindalos
11. Spielguy
12. BagpipeDan
13. ctalbot
14. loudonhead
15. rjphelan

Alternates:
1. jwandke

Cassandra Link: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1177...

Finally, if there is more demand than the fifteen slots, I can probably accomodate a few more players with a few rule tweaks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Shadow Over Innsmouth - Lovecraft Themed Game (Signu
I'm in! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
did I miss where it says when it will be? Assuming that I will have time to read the book first, then I will join.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuchick wrote:
did I miss where it says when it will be? Assuming that I will have time to read the book first, then I will join.

I don't have a specific start date because I wasn't sure how long the game would take to fill up and I thought players could likely play it alongside their other, scheduled games. I anticipate starting around the end of next week (July 20ish?), but will accomodate player requests if there is a time everyone would like.

The story is about 50-55 pages long, so it should be a fairly quick read for anyone interested in doing that first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rumsey
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, count me in. Do you have it in Cassandra yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely like to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
goo I'll sign up! Father Dagon made me do it. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This sounds mega-cool ... sign me up please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
BagpipeDan
CapAp
Cromaa
Ctalbot
greek2me
GrimJester
houndsoftindalos
kuchick
loudonhead
LudesFactor
Path12
Rjphelan
Shugyosha
Spielguy
xlorp

15 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1177...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I am most certainly in. AWESOME idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rumsey
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuchick wrote:
Assuming that I will have time to read the book first, then I will join.

If you or anyone else is interested in an audiobook version, let me know. I found one on the web done by the Atlanta Radio Theater Company. It's in 2 MP3 files. They total just over 40 megs and have a run time right at an hour and a half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat H
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This one looks fun! I'll join, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ia, Dagon, Ia...

Sign me up!

Oh, and meet my sister--Finnia Piranhalo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gosh, Hounds, she must have gotten all the cute genes in your family ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true. She's quite the catch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Shadow Over Innsmouth SIGNUP - 4 Spots Left
Ia cultists! Ia Dagon, ia! goo

I'd like to begin the game with an informal, thematic Day 0 where players will be free to do some roleplay and (voteless) discussion.

Assuming the game is filled by then, would a D0 of Thursday (July 20th) work for everyone currently signed up, or would later be better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That works for me.

I have been waiting for someone to do a Cthulhu-themed game (even played with some rules myself) ever since Xlorp's turn as the Big Squid himself in Agnespoodle's NYC game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
That works for me.

I have been waiting for someone to do a Cthulhu-themed game (even played with some rules myself) ever since Xlorp's turn as the Big Squid himself in Agnespoodle's NYC game.

Assuming this goes over well, I've been working on a larger, more complicated Lovecraft cult-based game with a number of factions. If you (or other hardcore WW veterans) would like to peruse the rules for a balance check and sneak peek, drop me a PM and I'll send them to the first few requests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perez
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursday is good for me.

I've been thinking about running a modern-day adventure set in the Mythos (actually based on a CoC scenario I wrote).

I'm interested in the rules you've come up with...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Shadow Over Innsmouth SIGNUP - Lovecraft - 4 Spots Left
Call of Cthulhu is my fave RPG. Laissez les bons tentacules roulez!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Shadow Over Innsmouth SIGNUP - Lovecraft - 4 Spots L
... start ... *cough* ... SOON ... *wheeze* ... before . I . lose . my . hold . inthisworld ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Shadow Over Innsmouth SIGNUP - Lovecraft - 4 Spots Left
GrimJester wrote:
... start ... *cough* ... SOON ... *wheeze* ... before . I . lose . my . hold . inthisworld ...

Don't blame me. Blame the people who aren't signed up yet.

You realize that Hawaii is entirely surrounded by water, right? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
houndsoftindalos wrote:
Thursday is good for me.

I've been thinking about running a modern-day adventure set in the Mythos (actually based on a CoC scenario I wrote).

I'd been thinking of something based on the novel that combined Lovecraft and Wodehouse: the humor element of Wooster contrasting with the terror of the Mythos. (despite the fact the book itself was quite a let down for me - the idea was too good to live up the expectation I had)

Making that into a game has proved tricky though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I don't like free time so I will sign up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [23] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.