Subject: just two game turns (or 10 segments of chaos) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

one of the key elements of RR is the tension/suspense between the players' plans for movement entered into the plain brains of their robots and the resulting actual movements and actions.

The arena used for this demo:
Back Stretch

Chutes and Ladders

I call this the Le Mans start.
From front to back: Spin bot, Tank, Squash bot, Number 5, Hammer bot, Twonky, Zoom bot, Hulk X-90.

After the 72 Action cards had been dealt, the 8 program sequences are busily prepared for the robots.

Here are the 8 plans ...
Apart from Twonky, all robots attempt to "go south".

ACTION!

After the dust had settled ...
Twonky and Squash bot made it. Tank and Hammer bot found themselves in a battle of attrition. Number 5 got too many pushes and number 1 of Number 5 says good-bye.
Battle losses overview:

Number 2 of Number 5 will show up. And a little bit upgraded.

The plans for turn 2.
Hulk X-90 apparently intends to avoid anymore trouble in the south. The new Number 5 will crash into the ranks of robots with a dominating 3-Move.

All robots involved will try to avoid this ...

ACTION!

The victims of chaos: Tank finally moved voluntarily into the abyss ... Hammer bot found itself in the pit, riddled by a total of 9 hits. Will there be a Power Down????
Hulk X-90 also went down into the pit, but ended luckily on a repair square. Getting out will take some time.

Squash bot and Twonky are in the lead now.

Roborally is a great game and great fun to play.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally with lots of players is just a bucketload of laugh. The poor bot almost never ends on the space you've intended him to end. It creates so many funny situations. As long as you're not tight and not set to "win" and not moan about randomness, you're in for a fun experience. It's one of my favourite games of all times. If the rumors of 2014 edition by FFG are true, then, boy oh boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uatu O'Lantern
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
A perfect example of how the starting board and removal of virtual robots ruins the game. Two turns into the game, 6 players have no hope of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
"Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! Crooooow!"
badge
“Look at me! I’m dancin’! I’m dancin’!” (Claptrap)
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
A perfect example of how the starting board and removal of virtual robots ruins the game. Two turns into the game, 6 players have no hope of winning.
Still riding that anti-Avalon jock, eh Phil? Eight robots starting virtual on the same square isn't going to do anything to balance the odds here. But if you really buy that "no hope of winning" hyperbole this early in the game, then maybe you're just not ready for the dock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Hi, I am not that pessimistic (or overconfident).
Nothing is granted for free in RR.
Being in lead always results in the other guys trying to focus on you. If they don't ... well ... their decision. It is always easier to declare "We had no chance anymore" than to team and beat the metal out of the leading few robots.

A key role for balancing a game is also given in the race set up. A simple way to keep a lot of thrill is to have the robots turn around for the final flag/s. This way all the robots in the last third or quarter of the pack can stop the returning leading ones much easier.

And a game board like Chutes and Ladders provides a lot of ambushes. It requires just a closer look by the players.

I also keep the Virtual Robot Start option alive, i.e. before starting a game, it is decided (randomly or by the players) which method to use (Le Mans or the stacked robots at start).

Anyway, the fun of RR is in playing it, not turning it into a consistently balanced game.

Everybody has, for example, experienced the situation of drawing a full hand of Turn Left - Turn Right - U-Turn cards. So what. Make the best out of it.

A nice push late in the game may still decide the whole matter.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uatu O'Lantern
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZomBub wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Still riding that anti-Avalon jock, eh Phil?
I have no idea what that phrase even means. Are you sure you meant to use the word "jock"? I don't understand it in this context.

Quote:
Eight robots starting virtual on the same square isn't going to do anything to balance the odds here.
Well, since you've asserted that, it must be true!

Quote:
But if you really buy that "no hope of winning" hyperbole this early in the game, then maybe you're just not ready for the dock.
You've got it. It's all me. It's nothing more than *me* not being "ready for the dock". It couldn't possibly be that there are any objective facts here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I have no idea what that phrase even means. Are you sure you meant to use the word "jock"? I don't understand it in this context.
You're welcome.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Well, since you've asserted that, it must be true!
That's precisely the logic that you employed in your assertion.

Phil Fleischmann wrote:
You've got it. It's all me. It's nothing more than *me* not being "ready for the dock". It couldn't possibly be that there are any objective facts here.
Ah, this must be where you blast me with the results of your statistical studies in which you measured the outcomes of several hundred games of RoboRally using the same test groups consisting of impartial gamers, and then submitted your objective analysis as your Master's Thesis, which you later revised and had published in a peer-reviewed journal, and thus earning the accolades of the most prestigious and elite gamers in academia. Weis' mir den Weg! Das Licht aus deiner Hand strahlt hinab ins dunkle Land!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
I wouldn't see it that pessimistic, but you certainly have a point. The Chutes & Ladders board has two straight lines that are used by Twonky and Squash to gain a big lead. All the others have to align for the gaps in the wall and get in each others way.

While I prefer the virtual bots starting from the same square as well, this example is mainly due to the selection and arrangement of boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uatu O'Lantern
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tomcat1304 wrote:
While I prefer the virtual bots starting from the same square as well, this example is mainly due to the selection and arrangement of boards.
Which you don't really have to worry about at all when you use the virtual rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Streuner
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Which you don't really have to worry about at all when you use the virtual rules.
Or when you use official boards that get play-tested and aren't inclined to have as many issues with the dock as fan-created boards tend to. But everyone's gotta eat shavin' cream every now and then. Right, Phil?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls