Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Friday night we had some friends over to play some games. I pulled out a selection of games to play including some we hadn't played in a while. The game everyone settled on was one we had only played once or twice and hadn't played in a while. So needless to say it took a little while to remember everything. I remembered the rules enough that once the game was setup we could play, but I still had to read through the rules to find all the important things to set the game up and get playing. The particular game we were playing had rules that you actually had to read through to find all the info you needed.

So yesterday I started looking around to see if there were any cheat sheets out there for games, kind of like Coles Notes. I had a hard time finding anything and as a result I started to create my own cheat sheets. I kept them to the basics, just the setup, very basic play and end game/scoring. Kind of like study notes that give you just enough info to remind you of things. These sheets would not be a teaching aid for people that haven't played the game, but a condensed version for people so that you can waste as little time as possible getting a game going you have't played in a while. I know some games come with Player Aids, but these aren't really what I am talking about as they tend to just help you with game play. What I am talking about is more of a teaching tool for game setup and to help cue your memory with regards to how the game plays.

My plan is that eventually I will have one of these sheets in every game I own. I figure that I can't be the only one out there looking for such things so I figured it was worth putting out there to the community as I know there are others out there that would pick up the cause and create Geek Notes for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an example of the kind of thing I am talking about. Last Will was the game that inspired me to do this. I have just cut and pasted this from a Word doc rather than posting it as a PDF file which is how I would do it if I share these in actual game forums. As you will see I didn't bother explaining all the icons on the cards or stuff like that but just enough to trigger your memory as to how the game goes. I do see the merit in pointing out important rules, but I feel that all Geek Notes should be no longer than a single page printed one side.

Last Will Geek Notes

Setup:

•Place 4 housing market tokens randomly on board

•Place Grey Round token on board

•Shuffle all cards

•Deal 3 Helpers and 3 Properties to each player, you can only keep 2 (any two)

•Seed board according to description on board

•Add 3/5 player extra piece if needed

•Base game each player gets 70 pounds or shuffle cards to get starting money

•Each player gets a player mat and matching hats and disc

Basic Play:

•First player gets black first player marker and gets to place colour marker on planning track

•When you place your marker you take the number of cards associated with spot you are on. You may not look at any of the cards you pick until you have selected all your cards

•Once all markers are placed, starting with the player on the left end each player takes turns placing their hats

•As you place a hat you do that action immediately

•Once all hats have been placed you take your corresponding number of actions

•In turn each player uses as many actions as they want

•Red “A”’s mean that it costs an action, other “A”s add to your action track

•Cards played with no red “A”s on them can be used without action
•When a player is done they discard down to 2 cards unless they have a school chum

•Wild cards must be used the turn they are taken

•White cards are one time use cards

•Properties with houses on them get a house marker when bought. If you don’t visit a property with a house on it in a round you devalue the property by one.

Game End / Scoring:

•The first person to blow all their money, note property is an asset so must be sold to win or it is the person with the least amount of money after 8 rounds

•You can spend more money than you have only if you have no property
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great idea. There's a BGGer called Universal Head who has done this for quite a few games. His website is a great resource:

http://www.orderofgamers.com/games

He's also uploaded files to many of the games here which you can do with yours as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
David Short has created quite a few of these as well:
Short Guides - Game Summaries for Game Explainers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeu resume
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I feel exactly the same, I like to have notes to refresh my memory!

So I made a blog http://jeuresume.wordpress.com/ to post summaries with set up, game play and game end (PDF files). The first post was in may 2012! Now I have the rules summaries of about 100 games. For now, all files are in French, except Qwixx, For Sale and Cartagena, but more in English will come later.

I want something very clear, simple, but also fully complete. So, it takes me a lot of time to write these files! The big difference compared with other player aids, I think, is the visual look of my files. I work a lot on the form!

It seems to me that Ajax (BGG user) has made also a lot of sheets that could help you, with set up included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a few "setup cards" for games that I don't play often enough to remember the starting setup. For some reason, the rulebooks bury that information within a load of explanation. I made sure the cards are the same size as the cards used in the game, so they can be stored on top of the deck and found easily. I've stuck pictures of the cards in the images section for those games (off the top of my head I can remember doing cards for Dominion, Forbidden Island, Ticket to Ride, Munchkin)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.