9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Tile map/build resources/conquer all! What game has it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian J. Hotovec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been getting great feedback for game recommendations so far and am wondering if you can help me decide on my next game.

I'd like something that starts with building a map by laying tiles (ala Carrcassone), then goes into acquiring land and making resources while trying to set yourself up for an attack with your army that you have built. Ideally, there would be points for all three of these phases so a balance between tactics and strategy would come into play. Also, a light rules set and a playtime of an hour or less for two people.

I've gotten great feedback on another thread that helped me understand what sounded like the most fun. Here are a few that come close (based on description alone): Wizard King (no tiles however), Fjords (this sounds very close as it is light, has tiles and a "build" phase, but (correct me if I'm wrong) it sounds like there is little or no real battle portion), Viktory II (this might be the game-how long does it take to play a 2 person game?).

Any more recommendations for a tile map/build resources/conquer all, two person, ~1 hr game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antike (longer)
Hellas
E&T (kind of)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II sounds like the perfect game for you, based on your description.

A 2 player game can be very quick or a little drawn out, but well within the time frames you posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops.

You don't lay tiles to set up the board, though they are randomly arranged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hellas is probably as close as you're going to get in the 'under one hour' category, though there are no points given throughout the game, it's strictly who controls X territories first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Hellas you build the map, explore, build an army to attack and defend and try to control 10 cities.
A good solid two player game with a decently short play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian J. Hotovec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! I think Hellas might be quite close to what I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is very good. Tempus would perfect, except that it's not for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.