John Franklin
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group is pretty far flung, and we're talking about staring up some games on Board Game Arena using the new “turn based” mode to allow for asynchronous play. Which BGA games would be best? I'm thinking games where only the active player performs actions on their turn would be best, to keep things moving along. What games would you recommend? We're open to all kinds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Colombo
United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played War Games (really close to Risk but not exactly) successfully online, async with groups.

If the games don't have to be for groups, abstract strategy games (Hive, Chess, Go, Khet) all tend to work great for having only the current player do an action.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Franklin
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
I think we're looking at 3 players right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Have you looked into yucata.de for asynchronous play? They tend to only implement games that work reasonably well asynchronously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Franklin
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to look at it. We are already on BGA so I started there. Thanks for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Graham
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was searching for a similar thread on this topic and came across this thread. Through the Ages seems like a perfect Async game. I think Takenoko would work well too. I'm not sure about the rest hence why I'm researching but thought I'd at least share with you what little knowledge I actually do have

fyi a bad one for async is Caylus. Seasons seems a little slow as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Box
Mexico
Querétaro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently playing Takenoko on there for the first time and it's working well asynchronously. Other games that work quite well in my experience are Tokaido, Hive and Stone Age.

However in general I'd second the recommendation for yucata.de as the place to play when you don't want a live game of Stone Age. It also has many other games selected for their better suitability to non-live playing. This links to the games they offer: http://www.yucata.de/en/GameInfoList

Also boiteajeux.net is the other great site for non-live games and has games like Castles of Burgundy and even Dixit. This links to the games they offer: http://www.boiteajeux.net/index.php?p=regles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.