Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb
As the subject line suggests, I want to acquire a game that is aligned with my linage. I do have to note, I am not a lover of "Euro" style games, I am more of an "Ameri-trash" guy, but I can stomach games like Bruges, Last Will, and Lords of Waterdeep.

This is my list thus far:Goa, Vinhos, Macao, Madeira, and Navegador.

Recommendations? Endorsements are not restricted to games from my list...

Feel free to share any reading material pertaining to Portuguese history, philosophy, and poetry (I'll be doubly grateful modest).

Obrigado!

*edit:Spell Check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
This might interest you:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/5614/country-portug...

Although it seems that you hit the highlights already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try games from the Portuguese Company MESAboardgames. They have (at least):
Vintage, a game about the creation of the well regarded Oporto wine-
Caravelas, a game which revolves around the traditional Portugueses ships. It seems to have made a good impact on Tom Vasel (I think he listed it in his top 10 obscure games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Madeira But thats the Euroiest euro that ever euroed a euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vasco da Gama
About as Portuguese as you can get, great game under rated due to some bad timing and poor dice tower review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've hit all the major ones except for Sail to India which is only really hitting the shelves this week. Sail to India is also a Japanese micro game so may be worth checking out.

As for the games mentioned so far, Madeira, Vinhos and Vasco da Gama are all very spreadsheety.

Macao is a feldian point salad, but if you can stomach Bruges it might be worth a look.

Navegador and Goa I would seriously consider because the Auctions in Goa are very interactive and interesting, whilst the Market mechanics in Navegador implicitly make you pay attention to what the other players are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Carvalho
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
I dwell in possibility
badge
Forever is composed of nows
mbmb
I struck Madeira, Vasco de Gama, and Vinhos off the list due to the comments made above.

Thank you for mentioning Sail to India, I wasn't even aware of that game until you mentioned it. It was an instant pick up due to its portability and price point.

I just purchased a copy of Macao, it seems to be going oop so it’s now or never. I will get Goa & Navegador. I'll probably procure Goa first since it looks to be getting more difficult to find.

Thank you all for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say to take a look at Aljubarrota, it's thematic and it's co-op, haven't played it yet so can't say if it is good or not

Aljubarrota

Battle of Aljubarrota - LINK EN http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Aljubarrota

Batalha de Aljubarrota - LINK PT http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batalha_de_Aljubarrota
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.