Subject: Villagers and Barricade Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
A village, containing a damaged Civilian Unit and a Villager with a barricade, was attacked by a damaged ZED unit. In the ensuing hand-to-hand combat, BOTH attacker and defender were killed! The Villagers are left alone...

What happens to the barricade? Does it stay?
What happens to the Villagers? Do they flee or stay put?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Were the villagers already free, or was that the first encounter they had?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Seidel
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The barricade only gets destroyed when a Z.E.D. unit is leaving the space with the barricade.
As for the second question i am not sure myself. After reading paragraph 8.3.2 the villagers should be fleeing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

villagers only turn into refugees if their village falls under control of the zeds (rule 5.2.1).

Your case does not apply, therefore the villagers stay villagers and stay "home".

Yeah, barricades are only removed if a Zeds unit (or mob) exits the space in question by deliberate advance. Zeds forced to retreat do not remove barricades.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys and Uwe, I was afraid of that...so the Villagers are left alone in a village with no one to help them should a ZED pop up. I guess I could bring in a Hero to help out as there are no Civilians within realistic movement range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exactly the job for A.J.Clarke and her team.

coollaugh

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenbro wrote:
Thanks guys and Uwe, I was afraid of that...so the Villagers are left alone in a village with no one to help them should a ZED pop up. I guess I could bring in a Hero to help out as there are no Civilians within realistic movement range.

Remember that they would get a chance to flee if zeds showed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Tucker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If zeds showed up they could not flee,villagers cannot move. Zeds would move into their space and they would be devoured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeddy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jgood4281 wrote:
If zeds showed up they could not flee,villagers cannot move. Zeds would move into their space and they would be devoured.

I don't agree. Expanding on Uwes quote of the rules:

Quote:
Rule 5.2.1 Release: Defiantly immobile Villagers refuse to leave their homes until the Zeds arrive. When a space containing Villagers becomes Zeds controlled ([8.4], page 14), the Villagers are “released.” The unit is immediately flipped to its Refugees side ([8.3.2], page 14) and moved one space closer to the Town Center (and thus they begin to flee to safety).

If and when Zeds arrive on the Villager's space (where there are no longer any other 'defenders'), the Villagers are immediately flipped to Refugees (as that space is now under Zeds control), and the now-mobile Refugees will flee to the adjacent space closer to town.

Of course, if the Zeds have a 2x movement, then the Refugees will now be slow food on the Zeds second move...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Tucker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(8.4) Zeds control all chaos spaces as well as any space that a Zed unit occupies at the end of any phase AND after any Hand-to-hand fighting is resolved. All other spaces are player controlled. The space is not ZED CONTROLLED because the died also, therefore the villagers are never flipped to refugees and villagers as previously stated are defiant and IMMOBILE. (9.2.3)....Villagers may not move until their village space is controlled by a Zeds unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeddy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ravenbro wrote:
A village, containing a damaged Civilian Unit and a Villager with a barricade, was attacked by a damaged ZED unit. In the ensuing hand-to-hand combat, BOTH attacker and defender were killed! The Villagers are left alone...

So exactly as you've quoted:

Jgood4281 wrote:
(8.4) Zeds control all chaos spaces as well as any space that a Zed unit occupies at the end of any phase AND after any Hand-to-hand fighting is resolved. All other spaces are player controlled. The space is not ZED CONTROLLED because the died also, therefore the villagers are never flipped to refugees and villagers as previously stated are defiant and IMMOBILE. (9.2.3)....Villagers may not move until their village space is controlled by a Zeds unit.

But then, on a future turn (when there are only Villagers present in that space), if Zeds move into this space, you've suggested the Villagers would be devoured straight away:

Jgood4281 wrote:

AS per rule 5.2.1 I've quoted previously, at the end of the Zeds phase the space is now Zed's controlled. Therefore 5.2.1 takes effect, and they are activated->Refugees and flee.

At no point does the rulebook (that I can find) mention Villagers being devoured; only Refugees. Happy to be clarified!

An example from Uwes of a lone Villagers unit (no Civilians) attacked by Were-Zeds 2x move:

tuner 13 wrote:
Their first move will make them enter Lefty's Pass. No resistance there! The monsters take control and place a Chaos marker. Exactly THIS makes the villagers turn into refugees (the presence or absence of any other Player unit does not matter!), and they retreat one location towards Farmingdale.
Now the Were Zeds apply their second move. That makes them enter exactly the location of the refugees. Feasting! But this ends a Zeds unit's Brains! activities.
Now imagine you had a Player unit in the location where the refugees had retreated into. The Were Zeds would mercilessly attack. If they'd succeed, they would devour the refugees. But again, this ends their Brains! frenzy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Tucker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AS I stated Zeds have to occupy a space for it to be Zed controlled, a condition per the rules for Zed control is hand-to-hand fighting. What are the stats for a villagers hand-to-hand fighting 0 (or undefined) so it is implied that the villagers lose the hand-to-hand and are also slow moving food same as if they were refugees(another unit with a 0 or undefined hand-to-hand amount). But, if I remember correctly this is a rule that was hotly contested last year in which the end result of Hermann Luttmann himself was that Ewe knew the rules better than himself. I cannot remember what Ewes judgment was on this particular rule ,however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeddy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jgood4281 wrote:
But, if I remember correctly this is a rule that was hotly contested last year in which the end result of Hermann Luttmann himself was that Ewe knew the rules better than himself. I cannot remember what Ewes judgment was on this particular rule ,however.

Ahh, that will be the issue then, it is a somewhat 'undefined situation' with no specific rule for, which we have 're-ignited' discussion about... My quote above is Uwe's (=Ewe's?)

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14229914#14229914

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raúl Polo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jgood4281 wrote:

No. They get a chance to flee. After they are refugees they can be devoured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!
Sorry - I'm having a very busy weekend here so I'm just catching up.
Villagers turn into Refugees when their space is Zed-controlled. When they do turn into Refugees, and at that time only, they are allowed a one space "flee". After that flee, they are Refugees and are treated as such for the rest of the game.
"Zed control" does not require a fight. A space is Zed-controlled when a Zed unit is there with no Player Unit or when a Chaos marker is present. If circumstances are that a Villager unit is alone (because, for example, the accompanying Civ unit was wiped out but not defeated) and a Zed unit enters its space, the Villager is not devoured - it is flipped to a Refugee and flees one space. In Uwe's example, the Zed unit had a Brains move, so that after the Villager flipped and fled, it got caught by the Zeds second move. Since it is a Refugee unit at that point, it is Slow Food and devoured.

I hope that covers it! Thanks for the discussion.
Have a great Memorial Day.
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
On page 14. 8.3.2 says if the civs in a space are killed or retreat, the Villagers flip to refugees and can retreat too. So the Zeds just have to make that first attack, before the Villagers become refugees and flee, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.