Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably a matter of common sense, bur figured I'd mention it...

Targeting Coordinator is clearly marked as a regular Crew card, with no Huge Ship Only text, which would seem to indicate you could use it on a small or large ship with the Crew upgrade icon. But it requires energy to activate, so while you could conceivably equip it on those ships, you could never use it. This strike anyone else as odd?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
This is probably a matter of common sense, bur figured I'd mention it...

Targeting Coordinator is clearly marked as a regular Crew card, with no Huge Ship Only text, which would seem to indicate you could use it on a small or large ship with the Crew upgrade icon. But it requires energy to activate, so while you could conceivably equip it on those ships, you could never use it. This strike anyone else as odd?

This is a game that doesn't stop you from making useless choices, and they generally don't include limitations that aren't necessary. You can put a Targeting Coordinator on a ship that can't use it, but it is no different than putting a Targeting Computer on a ship that has Target Lock or putting a Stygium Particle Accelerator on a ship without Cloak. Why include the restriction when there is no practical reason to ever include a useless upgrade? It is just meaningless extra card text at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Perhaps they have plans to allow transfer of energy from Huge ships to the other ship types (much like other tokens get transferred). It keeps their options open if in fact they did not mean for it to be limited to Huge Ships only.

OTOH, something like "Combo Retrofit" on the GR-75 does has useless text. it restricts it to the GR-75 and to Huge Ships only. Seems restricting it to the only the GR-75 covers that huge ship part like all the other GR-75 only cards....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Perhaps they have plans to allow transfer of energy from Huge ships to the other ship types (much like other tokens get transferred). It keeps their options open if in fact they did not mean for it to be limited to Huge Ships only.

I really doubt it, it wouldn't really work well in the confines of this game to transfer energy to other smaller ships. I think it makes more sense that they are keeping it open for other new ships that use energy that are not classified as "huge", or as Ron suggested that the ability itself restricted it to huge ships, and that text wasn't needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

OTOH, something like "Combo Retrofit" on the GR-75 does has useless text. it restricts it to the GR-75 and to Huge Ships only. Seems restricting it to the only the GR-75 covers that huge ship part like all the other GR-75 only cards....

That "Huge Ship only" text isn't useless, though it seems redundant. The huge ship rules specifically say that a huge ship cannot equip a modification that doesn't say "Huge Ship only." Leaving it off would mean that nothing could technically equip it, which would be silly. It is a bit odd of them to write the rules like that, but since they did, they had to include the seemingly redundant requirement on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.