Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Depleating mana a newbie question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morbaus Litchsmack
msg tools
I haven't played yet but really excited about it
went through the walkthrough and unsure about day/night process
so when all black mana have accumulated you flip to night side does this also end the round

thnx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mana has no effect on when the round ends. If you are unlucky during the day you might end up with all black mana after two turns. You might still be able to use the black mana though, for instance by going into a dungeon or playing mana draw using a white crystal (don't get hung up on the 'depleted' term. Black mana is just a colour you can't use during the day - the mana dice are still in the source.

In any case, the round end triggers when a player has no cards left in their deed deck and decides to forfeit their turn by calling round end. Every other player gets one more turn, then the round ends.

Alternatively, if a player has no cards in their deed deck and no cards in hand, they must call round end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When all the mana die are black during a day round then the mana are depleted and no more can be rolled. That does not end the round. A round ends when someone declares the end of the round or your deck is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
When all the mana die are black during a day round then the mana are depleted and no more can be rolled.

This is not true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
gohrns wrote:
When all the mana die are black during a day round then the mana are depleted and no more can be rolled.

This is not true.

You definitely explained it better than I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
The day ending when all dice have gone black....

Not a rule, never been a rule. But you wont believe the amount of people who think this IS a rule. I still get asked it now, even with people who have been playing the game 2 years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

Not a rule, never been a rule. But you wont believe the amount of people who think this IS a rule. I still get asked it now, even with people who have been playing the game 2 years

I think it's because of the description in the rulebook, along the lines of 'it indicates the approaching night' or something like that.
Same with the use of the term 'depleted dice'.

People read too much into those wordings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

I think it's because of the description in the rulebook, along the lines of 'it indicates the approaching night' or something like that.

The passage you’re thinking of is in the Walkthrough, not in the Rule Book. Near the end of page 6:

Quote:
Note that there may be some black (depleted) mana dice at the start of the Round. Whenever a player rolls black, another die is depleted. As the Day Round comes to an end, it may happen there are very few or even no mana dice available in the Source (the Night is coming).

Here, “the Night is coming” is just flavor text, and even then “coming” does not mean “already here.”

The only thing in the Rule Book about black mana starting a night round is the variant “Darkness is Coming”, on page 14:

Quote:
You start with a Day round. At the end of the Round, roll two mana dice. If any of them is black, night falls and it is Night until the end of the game. If not, continue with another Day round, and roll again at its end.

In this case the flip has nothing to do with what mana were available (or depleted) during the day; the round ends according to the usual rule (page 5) before rolling to see whether night has arrived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You might still be able to use the black mana though, for instance by going into a dungeon

Can you use black mana in a dungeon?? Hmm, I overlooked that in the rulebook.

Can you use night spells in a dungeon then too? Do ALL the night rules apply when you're fighting monsters in a dungeon? And only in a dungeon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyriphiry wrote:
Quote:
You might still be able to use the black mana though, for instance by going into a dungeon

Can you use black mana in a dungeon?? Hmm, I overlooked that in the rulebook.

Can you use night spells in a dungeon then too? Do ALL the night rules apply when you're fighting monsters in a dungeon? And only in a dungeon?

All night rules apply when underground, i.e. in dungeons and tombs. This is written in bold text on the dungeon/tomb site card. Note that the site cards contain information that is not duplicated in the rulebook, so they are all worth reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
DreamStorm wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

The passage you’re thinking of is in the Walkthrough, not in the Rule Book. Near the end of page 6:

Quote:
Note that there may be some black (depleted) mana dice at the start of the Round. Whenever a player rolls black, another die is depleted. As the Day Round comes to an end, it may happen there are very few or even no mana dice available in the Source (the Night is coming).

Here, “the Night is coming” is just flavor text, and even then “coming” does not mean “already here.”

The only thing in the Rule Book about black mana starting a night round is the variant “Darkness is Coming”, on page 14:

Quote:
You start with a Day round. At the end of the Round, roll two mana dice. If any of them is black, night falls and it is Night until the end of the game. If not, continue with another Day round, and roll again at its end.

In this case the flip has nothing to do with what mana were available (or depleted) during the day; the round ends according to the usual rule (page 5) before rolling to see whether night has arrived.

Yeah, I meant the Walkthrough. It has no mention in the Rulebook.
The rest of what you wrote is exactly what I meant with my comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
All night rules apply when underground, i.e. in dungeons and tombs.

Do we have a full overview of these night rules?

I can think of
- you can use black mana as any other basic mana color
- you can't use gold mana
- you can cast night spells (or at least the night variants of the spell)

As far as I can see in the rulebook, there are no differences when you handle combat during the night.

Some irrelevant differences when in combat in a dungeon:
- movement costs are different
- fortified enemies don't "face up" when adjacent

Any other toughts?

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify one of the underground night rules above: You can use black mana dice as "wild" mana dice when using night rules during the day (and cannot use gold mana as such), but you cannot use it as black mana to power spells?

Can you use night spells during the day if you are somehow able to produce a black mana for yourself in a situation other than underground, or are you only "allowed" to play powered spells at night (or is there absolutely no way to get black mana during the day so it's irrelevant)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyriphiry wrote:
Quote:
All night rules apply when underground, i.e. in dungeons and tombs.

Do we have a full overview of these night rules?

I can think of
- you can use black mana as any other basic mana color
- you can't use gold mana
- you can cast night spells (or at least the night variants of the spell)

As far as I can see in the rulebook, there are no differences when you handle combat during the night.

Some irrelevant differences when in combat in a dungeon:
- movement costs are different
- fortified enemies don't "face up" when adjacent

Any other toughts?

P

Some skills give different boni for day and night. (There are 2 variants for ranged attack, movement and influence skills each - one variant giving a higher bonus at day and one giving a higher bonus at night.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gophers79 wrote:
To clarify one of the underground night rules above: You can use black mana dice as "wild" mana dice when using night rules during the day (and cannot use gold mana as such), but you cannot use it as black mana to power spells?

There is no difference between 'night' and 'night rules at day'.
If you are under night rules you can use black mana for powering spells. Unless you have special action cards you can never use black mana as wild card.

Quote:

Can you use night spells during the day if you are somehow able to produce a black mana for yourself in a situation other than underground, or are you only "allowed" to play powered spells at night (or is there absolutely no way to get black mana during the day so it's irrelevant)?

There are some ways to produce black mana/use black dice at day but as far as I know all of these cases define exactly how you may use this black mana.

f.e.
- Mana Pull (the special card of Arythea) says that you can use a black die at day but only to produce colored mana.
- Amulett of the night says that you can use black mana as if it were night (so you can power spells with it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
gophers79 wrote:

No no. You cannot use black mana as mana of any other color unless you have some specific power that allows you to do so. Black mana's only normal use is to power the stronger effect of spells at night. But it does NOT work like gold mana does during the day.

Rulebook, page 5, Using Mana wrote:

2. There are two special colors (gold and black) that can be in pure form only (there are no gold and black crystals).
a. During Day Rounds, gold mana can be used as mana of any basic color (for all purposes, it is considered exactly the same as using mana of the desired color). Black mana can never be used during the Day.
b. During Night Rounds, black mana can be used to power some effects. Gold mana can never be used at Night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Eckes
United States
Bloomington
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, that was how I had been playing it but the above made me question whether I was doing it right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.