Subject: Favorite moments in the Realm? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] mr_boq [+] [View All]
Scott West
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
I am interested in hearing from other players what was your favorite moment in the Realm? Was it a tense battle? Finding a particular treasure card? Completing a difficult quest? Just staying alive???

For me, so far, the first moment was just staying alive for 28 days with the Woods Girl!!

The second moment was actually winning with a positive score with the White Knight and slaying several monsters.

The 3rd greatest moment was looting the Lair with the Flowers of Rest and also finding the Crypt of the Knight and the Enchanted Meadow at the Lair. Just sitting there looting and not worrying about curses with the Chapel close by, or summoning monsters was a great feeling of relief after dying so, so, so many times.

I've only been playing a couple of weeks now, but I have the Realm in my blood. And I've spent a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in that time....

I have to give many thanks for all of the contributors, especially Jay for his brilliant tutorial, and Robin for Realm Speak which made the game so much easier to learn. And a special thanks to Teresa for providing me with the missing parts to my physical copy.

If I have some free time soon I will try to post a session report and detail some other thoughts I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one game where the swordsman picked up 7 great treasures in the final week. Even better, he found the keys, opened the vault, and found the chest in the Vault! After a couple of hundred games I never thought a single character would ever find the keys and the chest in a one month game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Favorite moments from Magic Realm??? How are we supposed to choose... there are so many great memories!

I was easily the weakest player in my old Magic Realm group; I rarely had the pleasure of claiming a victory in our games. I even held a record of sorts for futility, managing only a single win with the Wizard in nine games (no one else in our group played a single character that many times without getting at least two wins).

My most memorable win, however, was with "The Spoiled Princess" Quest from our Book of Quests variant. In this Quest the title character hits you with a seemingly non-stop barrage of totally pointless royal requests. And while you are running yourself ragged trying to keep her Highness happy (all the while wishing that you could just feed her to a Dragon), your opponents will be convulsing in laughter at your misadventures... and offering all sorts of completely unhelpful "advice." By the end of the game you'll be wanting to feed them to a Dragon as well!

Beyond the simple satisfaction of just winning the Quest, there are a number of reasons why this was my most memorable win:

* I won this Quest on my very first attempt at playing it.

* I was the only player in my group to ever win this Quest.

* Being the only person to win this Quest was especially sweet because the Quest's author – our best player – thought that this was one of his best efforts as a Quest designer and he desperately tried to win it... but failed miserably each time!

If I reminded my friend a little too often that the Quest he could never win was won by me on my first try... well... there's nothing wrong with that, is there?

devil

Reference:

The Book of Quests
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76484/magic-realm-book...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is when I finally carefully set up the tiles for Encounter 1 of the first edition rules and played through some movement actions before tidying the whole lot away to wait for someone to teach me how to play instead...
Baby steps, right? whistle
(Sneaks off to download Jay's Tutorial...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My finest hour was as the pilgrim. spent the first few turns in the chapel recruiting until I got the knight chit. then went around the board and let him murder everything. It was a little sad that a single chit was more effective than my character, but it was worth for the dominating pilgrim win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finest hour was destroying the Witch King as the Pilgrim.

For some strange reason I selected Exorcism as my initial spell as opposed to Small Blessing. Went wandering, making sure to keep a White chit enchanted. Over time I hooked up with the White Knight and the Swordsman and we were exploring when we caught wind that a group of nasties (Witch King, Sorcerer and Black Night) was in the immediate vicinity and the players had been a bit haughty before. Just to be cautious I used a phase to alert my Magic chit.

In they came to attack and (so they thought) destroy us. The look on the faces of the Sorcerer and especially the Witch King when I cast Exorcise was priceless! With my alerted magic chit I was assured of it working - Swordsman charged the Black Knight to keep me safe to do my thing also.

Well, the Witch King was instantly transformed in a blob of quivering jelly by Exorcism and the Sorcerer was now just a feeble, nasty old geezer. I killed the Witch King with my stick, the Swordsman killed the Sorcerer easily while the White Night exchanged missed blows in Round 1. On Round 2 with all three of us at work the Black Knight lost his armor and then next round he died too.

The moral of this story - heavily magical characters should always as a matter of prudence exercise caution when the Pilgrim is around, especially if he has one white chit enchanted and the other alerted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.