Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Hatmaker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really come around to enjoying "print and play" games. Zombie Plague, The Patriot Act Game, and now Battle Of Seattle are on my gaming shelf. For you grognards, the "units" are set up like normal wargame units, i.e., square chits with a silhouette representing the type of unit, (as well as being color-coded, but you have to do that yourself), with three single digits that provide the following information:

2-4-3

The first number is that unit's attack strength, the second number is the unit's "morale" and the third number is it's movement. But you've got to remember that it's not about fighting and winning battles, or the cops would win every time... they have access to state troopers and even national guards as backups, and they can use special munitions like tear gas, rubber bullets, hoses, dogs, etc. No, gentle pilgrim, the way you win this battle is in the press. In addition to a turn counter track, there is what is called an "Exposure Index." For all intents and purposes, you could just as well call them "victory points," since as either the authorities or the protestors, you will live or die by these numbers. At the beginning of the game, the authorities start out with 30 E.I., the protestors with 0. Protestors get E.I. points for every police unit sent away in disarray, (hard to do, but it does happen) and differing amounts points for occupying strategic locations downtown. The police seem to be able to only lose E.I., whereas the protestors seem only to be able to gain them. There are logistical problems for both sides: the protestors aren't allowed to "stack" more than two crowd units per location hex. The crowds all disperse and go home during night turns, and you have a fractious bunch of folks to work with, at best. Everything from anarchists, liberals and environmentalists, to looting "yahoos," extremists and organized labor. You can never rid Seattle of a police unit permanently, (like they can do to you!), and you tend to be both weaker, and your crowds have pitiful morale. As the Authorities, you have to mind your manners. If you shoot at ants with an elephant gun, it'll cost you MAJOR E.I. points. Only YOU can escalate, (which opens a whole 'nuther can of worms... if you escalate to stage three, you cannot win, only prevent a MAJOR ass-whoopin' by the protestors. You start at stage one.) Every time you do what will rid Seattle of the most protestors the quickest, you are penalized E.I. for it. BUT, there is a carrot as well as a stick, you get big, honkin' freakin' boat-loads of E.I. points if you rid the map of all CROWDS (in a daylight turn) or of protestors completely. That is much easier said than done, but it can be done. Add to this precarious mix, the "Random Event Table," and you get a real feel for the kind of organic, living entity that any massive scale confrontation with the authorities can become. This game, however you feel politically, is meant as a satire, and it should be played with tongue planted FIRMLY in cheek as such. The rules are short and sweet, with only a few minor ambiguities, (I had to hunt a little to find out if protestors got points for location hexes they shared with cops at the end of a turn, and I wondered about what to do if you ended a turn with protestors and police in the same location, but I got it all sorted out!) All in all, Battle Of Seattle is both fun and funny, with realistic mechanics and I'll definitely be playing it again.

powwowdancer out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Eminently replayable.
Finished a solitaire game.As a biased liberal I thought I'd beat the cops, but it was hard to play BOTH SIDES. Early on my protesters gained but as the VP s go up more crowds show up (for the Protester) & they are LIABILITIES. Forget clearing them off the map -just arresting them gains 1d6 against the Protester and a mere 1 VP against the cops.
Went to stage 2 & mopped up the Pinkos easily.
My game ended at 29 to 31 - a MARGINAL Protester Victory.
Some reviewer claimed it's not replayable.
BS. Just change the VPs for Emergency Units used, or Groups, cops or/and Crowds 'arrested' & the game balance will change.
The combat system defies analysis- well, I ain't analyzing it!laugh
You attack a group (instead of 1 unit). You may miss, make it flee. or kill 1 unit & cause the rest to flee. Only "killing" (arresting) a unit gets VPs
SO you may get points for the 1 unit YOU chose to pick on, but now the
group rolls back at you & might get VPs or just remove units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.