Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

thanks for taking the time to read this. I have been trying very hard to intro my girlfriend to start playing boardgames..

List of games & mechanics she tried and find it meh!
- Bohnanza (Trading)
- Ascension (Deck Building)
- Abstract games
- Saboteur (Party)
- Ticket to Ride (Hand Management)

List of games she like, but its party games
- Wanted! (Dexterity)
- Say Anything (Party)

Yesterday I managed to convince her to play stone age (worker placement), and to my surprise, she like it quite a bit.

The main reasons was : the rules are acceptable for her, easy to understand, nicely represented by the beautiful board. Stuffs makes sense etc.

I need another game which has a great theme, with rules that aren't too much to absorb and has great representation on the board, and doesnt make her confused.. I do have a few games at home.. but I really ponder on what to present to her next to keep her going..

I know she's fussy but I'm a euro gamer and it would be my utmost pleasure to convert her to one too

I look forward to hearing some great suggestions!

Ps: No lords of waterdeep please. Somehow that game doesn't click with me. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small might work, or Walnut Grove.

Pick up and deliver rather than worker placement, but Cinque Terre might be worth looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Ninjato? Also by Z-Man, like Stone Age, and has an enjoyable Worker Placement mechanic.

Not exactly worker placement, but, an easy transition to make are games like Puerto Rico and Cuba.

Sorry you don't like Waterdeep, that is one of our top 3 Worker Placement games. Maybe the theme-heavy delivery is a bit much for you.

My next game to try might be Belfort, as it seems to combine the things I like from Worker Placements and Role Assignments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Jossi
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps Village? who doesn't like strategically killing off generations of their family!

I have been on the same quest with my wife, and glad to report I seem to be winning!! She enjoyed Village and because of the theme she was willing to look into the complexities of the game.

Good luck with the conversion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:

That is a fun little game, and could be a good choice.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Longardner
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Biblios and the upcoming Machi Koro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure anyone would classify this as a euro but it does have meeples. I am referring to Rise of Augustus which I think of as Bingo on Roman steroids. It is easy to learn and play and is much enjoyed by me and my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi
Battle Line
Navegador
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hamer
United States
Oakville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction." -Proverbs 1:7
mbmbmbmbmb
I might suggest Lords of Waterdeep... It's a worker placement like Stone Age, but really thematic. My friends who I've been trying to get to follow me down the Euro rabbit hole definitely latched onto this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of the suggestions above are a bit too gamey to be successful in this case. Puerto Rico and Navegador, for instance, are great games, but are probably too complex for her at this point. I would look at Takenoko. It is about raising and maintaining a bamboo garden. It has a similar feel to Stone Age. It also is a very good 2 player game but does play up to 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I think a lot of the suggestions above are a bit too gamely to be successful in this case. Puerto Rico and Navegador, for instance, are great games, but are probably too complex for her at this point. I would look at Takenoko. It is about raising and maintaining a bamboo garden. It has a similar feel to Stone Age. It also is a very good 2 player game but does play up to 4.

Good choice here. +1 also for Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small.

Another suggestion for me would be Fresco. The game is very intuitive, the rules makes sense and are quite thematic, and the game itself has great components and is beautiful.

If she likes both both games, then you can upgrade to the couple friendly The Castles of Burgundy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Devine
Australia
Lara
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another vote for Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Once she's enjoying that, build on that game with the expansions:

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small – More Buildings Big and Small and Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small – Even More Buildings Big and Small

As an above poster also suggested, assuming she enjoys this and its expansions, you can move to more complex ones, and something like The Castles of Burgundy is a great next step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asara

Finca but it may be oop

Could try Fresco

Not Lewis and Clark ha ha. It looks like Stone Age but it doesn't seem to be in the same realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenz Poh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!! Thank you all so much for the great response!! I am really heartened by the this great community! Cheers )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 agricola all creatures big and small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Puerto Rico and Navegador, for instance, are great games, but are probably too complex for her at this point.

I agree with PR, but I've had a different experience with Navegador. What's wonderful about Navegador is how much game you get with such an easy set of rules. And the rondel makes it incredibly easy to explain. The teaching aid they give you also makes it a breeze to comprehend and teach. Everything you need to know in this beauty of a teaching aid:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Puerto Rico and Navegador, for instance, are great games, but are probably too complex for her at this point.

I agree with PR, but I've had a different experience with Navegador. What's wonderful about Navegador is how much game you get with such an easy set of rules. And the rondel makes it incredibly easy to explain. The teaching aid they give you also makes it a breeze to comprehend and teach. Everything you need to know in this beauty of a teaching aid:

I would not want to explain how the market works to a non gamer. True, the rondel does simplify the decision tree a bit, but there is a player driven economic system in that game that could easily backfire if you unleashed it on a non gamer girlfriend. I still say she is a few steps away from a game like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I would not want to explain how the market works to a non gamer.

Wow, different strokes then. I've found the market in Navegador to be one of the easiest market mechanisms to explain to non-gamers. It's all right there, giving everyone a visual table as to how a buy and/or sell would effect the market immediately. It's simple and easy, but deep in game play--the perfect gateway combination.

FWIW, based on my experiences of teaching and playing both, I put this on the same "gateway" level as something like Stone Age. Navegador's final scoring is actually easier to teach based on the player-board layout vs. civ-cards calculating in SA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Biggs
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko! Just look at the peices. Its a beautiful game that has much more strategy than gamers may think.

She'll love it just because of the theme. I've taught it to tons of non-gamers and so far not a single negative response.

Watch this video to see how the game plays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.