Hide
6 Posts

Ticket to Ride: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stations with unclaimed routes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy G
msg tools
We just had an argument at our house that I was hoping to get an answer for. Can you claim a station for a route that no one else has taken?

In our case, it was the last turn, and the player needed one more segment. He did not have enough trains, so instead he just put a station on to complete his route. No one else had claimed that segment. Could he legally do that?

We have a bet on the answer here - the rules seemed unclear. One place said it was to use a route that was claimed by another player. Another place had no mention of another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, welcome to BGG!

Anyway, if no other player has claimed the route, there's nothing for the station to do....The station in that case would be totally pointless, and it wouldn't help complete the route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to respond by quoting the rules.

rulebook pg.3 wrote:
The player may build a Station in any city that does not yet have one.

This is the part where it doesn't mention another player. That's because you don't need another player's routes to build a station. But building and using are two different things.

rulebook pg.6 wrote:
A Train Station allows its owner to use one, and only one, of the routes belonging to another player, into (or out of) that city to help him connect the cities on his Destination Tickets.

And here, where it actually says what stations do, it's specified that you can only use a route belonging to an opponent. This is the important quote, because the other one doesn't say a word about what stations do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kārlis Jēriņš got it right...

If you wish more precisions regarding stations, we posted this earlier:

https://plus.google.com/+daysofwonder/posts/iiLQ1mfhTNd
No need for a g+ account to read it...

Hope this helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Jesse
msg tools
I am posting here to help anyone else having issues with the iPad app of the game, hoping their search will hit this thread. As seen in this thread the physical rulebook (see above) is worded differently than the iPad rulebook for Europe, the latter of which only states:
Quote:
A Station allows you to use one, and only one, of the routes departing from that City but potentially claimed by another player to complete your own Tickets.

To me it is evident that "potentially claimed" means that the claim is unnecessary, and thus unoccupied routes could be used toward tickets. This is not reflected in the programming of the game, however, and it wasn't until after the game denied me tickets on two such occasions that I thought to search online for clarification.

This is simply a regrettable matter of poor phrasing during the re-writting of the rules for the app. I am going to see if I can find some kind of support contact for the game and encourage them to change the wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfcheese wrote:
I am posting here to help anyone else having issues with the iPad app of the game, hoping their search will hit this thread. As seen in this thread the physical rulebook (see above) is worded differently than the iPad rulebook for Europe, the latter of which only states:
Quote:
A Station allows you to use one, and only one, of the routes departing from that City but potentially claimed by another player to complete your own Tickets.

To me it is evident that "potentially claimed" means that the claim is unnecessary, and thus unoccupied routes could be used toward tickets. This is not reflected in the programming of the game, however, and it wasn't until after the game denied me tickets on two such occasions that I thought to search online for clarification.

This is simply a regrettable matter of poor phrasing during the re-writting of the rules for the app. I am going to see if I can find some kind of support contact for the game and encourage them to change the wording.

There's nothing wrong with the wording of "potentially claimed", that part is absolutely correct. It's worded that way because it is legal (and sometimes prudent) to claim the station before the route is built.

If they just said "claimed" instead, that would lead to the incorrect impression that you had to wait until the route had been built before you could put your station down.

An extra sentence saying you can only 'borrow' the routes that were actually built by the time the game ends would probably be a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.