Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cooperation & Ambush Traits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game for the first time tonight and it was a 2-player game with my wife. Some questions came up during gameplay so I thought I would post the questions here for some answers. We played the 2-player variant where you are only allowed 2 traits per species instead of 3.

1. Species 1 had the Carnivorous and Cooperation traits applied. When that species killed another species then the species to its right also gets a meat token. However, what if the species killed only had a body size of 1 and therefore only 1 meat token to give up. Since species 2 gets to pull a food item from the same source and since that food source is depleted because the killed species has no more meat to give up, does that mean the second species gets nothing then?

2. While playing, I was able to create a carnivore with max body size and the Ambush trait. The other player could not do anything because whatever creature they would put out would quickly become food for my predators. I could use the ambush trait to negate any defense they had. Is this a flaw in the gameplay or is there a way around this?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

1) I think "the same source" refers to the type of food (plant or meat) and origin (food supply or food bank).

2) That is correct. Otherwise untouchable species would exist, and that's unreal. Also, depending on the traits that had the prey, carnivore need to discard more than one card (which can be significant).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:

1) I think "the same source" refers to the type of food (plant or meat) and origin (food supply or food bank).

2) That is correct. Otherwise untouchable species would exist, and that's unreal. Also, depending on the traits that had the prey, carnivore need to discard more than one card (which can be significant).



Sounds like he did create an untouchable species by getting a lead that he could protect with the combination so he's looking to see if there was an error in their handling...

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
1. Species 1 had the Carnivorous and Cooperation traits applied. When that species killed another species then the species to its right also gets a meat token. However, what if the species killed only had a body size of 1 and therefore only 1 meat token to give up. Since species 2 gets to pull a food item from the same source and since that food source is depleted because the killed species has no more meat to give up, does that mean the second species gets nothing then?

Ariel is right here. From the same source means it is taken from the Food Bank, not the Watering Hole/

randyd42 wrote:
2. While playing, I was able to create a carnivore with max body size and the Ambush trait. The other player could not do anything because whatever creature they would put out would quickly become food for my predators. I could use the ambush trait to negate any defense they had. Is this a flaw in the gameplay or is there a way around this?


The way around this is to make sure you never put out a species that will go extinct the next turn. Wait 2 or 3 rounds before putting out a species if you have to. Then play a species once you have enough cards that you can pump up your Population and Body Size high enough that it will not go extinct on the next turn (or build up several defensive traits and increase the population to 2 or 3).

There is no way to catch up if you've consistently made mistake after mistake. At some point the other player will have too many extra cards for you to catch up. But that's the case with any game involving skill. If one person plays poorly enough, it will get to a point where there is nothing he or she can do to catch up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Mmm, well..

It is also important to remember that satisfied species can not continue eating. So it's not so bad to lose 1 population if it satisfies a carnivore, preventing attack again.

In short, it is better to sacrifice a single large creature than several small. Right? And, in some cases, that can turn a large carnivore with ambush and fatty tissue in a very dangerous predator too!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. A species of Body Size 3 and Population 3 cannot get eaten in 1 round by an Ambushing Carnivore because 2 attacks would fill up Carnivorous species of size 6 Population. Add 1 defensive trait on there and it would take 2 discards for the Carnivore to get 6 food. It's not great, but that's something you can live with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.