Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Le Havre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does a worker stay on the building after turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We played 2 games of Le Havre this weekend. One thing bugs me and since I don't have the game to read the rules myself, I'd like to ask: does the worker actually stay on the building he occupies during his turn or is he taken off and returned (so the next player can use the building again)? The reason I ask is because we were taught the game by someone who got a few very important rules wrong that made the game frustratingly tight (can't replace food with gold).

The way we played a player leaves his worker on the building. This effectively meant that opening buildings were often blocked turn after turn and the game just didn't move on at all. And with only 2 actions a round I feel that this is way to harsh.

Cheers,

Seth Logan
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Avatar
mb
Nope, he stays on until moved elsewhere.

No one can use the building until the worker moves. And the worker can’t reuse the building without moving to another building first.

See the rules PDF:


There is no provision for removing workers from buildings except one:

16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I know it is easier to just start a new thread than to quickly skim through the existing threads of the rules forum, but come on. There are at least three threads already in just the first page of the rules forum that address this very thing.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Horan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Actually, the fact that the worker stays on the building indefinitely is a major tactic in the game. If you own the building in question you have the option of selling it to the town and then using it. Otherwise, you're just plain stuck. Just keep in mind that you can do the same thing to your opponent(!).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dennis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Digging up this older thread for another clarification.

So say my turn order goes llike so:

Turn 1
Player 1 puts worker in Marketplace, takes the resources.
Player 2 takes random offer.

Turn 2
Player 1 takes a different offer.

Is that worker from player one still sitting in the Marketplace blocking Player 2 not only on their first turn but on the second too (and till the worker is moved or evicted)?

A related clarification:

Am I correct in reading that the worker does not come back to the relevant player's table space before moving from building to building? Basically preventing you from taking Marketplace on turn 1 then when you get to your second turn picking it up and putting it back on Marketplace for another resource grab.

I haven't been playing like this but it looks like once the workers are first deployed they spend the game moving from building to building (occasionally getting evicted from sales or spending an extra turn in the same building) and never repeating the building resource action from turn to turn unless it is some special circumstance such as putting your worker in a town building, buying it next turn and putting the worker back.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Coffeedemon wrote:
Is that worker from player one still sitting in the Marketplace blocking Player 2 not only on their first turn but on the second too (and till the worker is moved or evicted)?

Right.

Coffeedemon wrote:
Am I correct in reading that the worker does not come back to the relevant player's table space before moving from building to building? Basically preventing you from taking Marketplace on turn 1 then when you get to your second turn picking it up and putting it back on Marketplace for another resource grab.

Correct.

Coffeedemon wrote:
I haven't been playing like this but it looks like once the workers are first deployed they spend the game moving from building to building (occasionally getting evicted from sales or spending an extra turn in the same building) and never repeating the building resource action from turn to turn unless it is some special circumstance such as putting your worker in a town building, buying it next turn and putting the worker back.

Yep.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dennis
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for your lightning quick reply. Looks like this method will add to what is already a lot of strategic depth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Yes, not to mention the psychological advantage to be gained by driving your opponents crazy with a leisurely turn or two of resource collections.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.