Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco
Italy
Gorla Minore
IT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is great fun for people who likes story telling and are not too competitive, because highly competitive players tend to "break" the tale of the opposite players when they are losing a mission or the entire game, because of the frustration deriving from not having the right number of cards to play or when they discover that they miscalculated the odds.
In almost any game, highly competitive players tend to show this frustration when they are losing, often talking about about bad luck, accusing other players to not be playing in the "right way", bad game mechanics and so on. In this game, this frustration is reflected in their tellings, and leads them to play against the opposite player part of the tale, that is the worst thing to do in Winter Tales. You win and lose by the number of cards played, not by killing opposit player's characters or dismantle the opposite player's ideas.
Players should instead always support the opposite player part of the tale, also when they are losing, because they have to contextualize the fact they are tecnically losing in a tasteful drama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. There are some of my friends whom I would never play Winter Tales with. One of my hypercompetitive friends would would always try to change the regime to republic any time he was losing Once Upon a Time, certainly not a game for him.

I have only played a demo of Winter Tales at GenCon last year and I wish the game was already available. It is clear that you have to buy into the game's premise as observed by you for it to work. Players have to understand that the game is an evolution in the storytelling game genre and if you have to be working towards it, supporting your teammates but also opponents and being gracious is an important part of it.

I think Winter Tales is interesting. Other similar games such as Fabula require a player to judge the other players. I really dislike that feature. Winter Tales does not have that. Winning the game does not come from somebody thinking you told the best story. I like this because it alleviates the pressure but, realistically, it is almost uncomfortable to be judging people and deciding the winner especially considering that it is all subjective.

Winter Tales departs and evolves from that but, in its heart, it is still a storytelling game and winning is only part of it. While most games break if one or more players are not playing to win, Winter Tales is different and it is more likely to break if one or more players are playing to spoil the other teams win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is that the story in Winter Tales is arbitrary. No matter what you tell, the winner of every combat is the player who plays the most cards.

Don't be fooled. There is a story telling component, but the game is won by hand management alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
The difference is that the story in Winter Tales is arbitrary. No matter what you tell, the winner of every combat is the player who plays the most cards.

Don't be fooled. There is a story telling component, but the game is won by hand management alone.

Exactly, the same way most other games break if one or more players are not playing to win, Winter Tales breaks if one or more players are not playing to contribute to the fiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.