Subject: Games that trigger an emotional response? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
I played my first game of Letters from Whitechapel last night and as the games owner I was given the role of Jack the Ripper.

I can't believe how involved I got in that game; my chest was tightening as the police closed in, I worried that my sweaty palms might cause me to drop my pen or my nerves to topple the screen, the inner joy at hearing the others players decide I had left the area they'd actually cornered me in, and how the tension ratcheted up as I stealthily shadowed one of the Constables to get round the Police cordon and return to my lodgings for the win.

At a few points I thought I needed a release to stop me exploding, maybe a few press ups or a run round the block, except I couldn't tear myself away. I understand that these feelings will lessen with each subsequent play, but for now I'm still buzzing thinking about it.

Has anyone else had a game that triggered such a response, and if so, what game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill when you discover you are the traitor.

Mr. Jack when things get tense.

Any round of any side of Space Hulk.

My 2c anyhow..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steampunk wrote:
Betrayal at House on the Hill when you discover you are the traitor.

Mr. Jack when things get tense.

Any round of any side of Space Hulk.

My 2c anyhow..

I believe any game with some kind of traitor mechanism or hidden agend might be able to make your hands sweat ;-) I experienced this in Battlestar Galactica, Shadows Over Camelot or Police Precinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Dust
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some weeks ago I had the opportunity of playing Wicked Witches Way in Zona Lúdica, a convention in Huelva (Spain).

I knew nothing about this game, and at first glance it seemed like a mere childrens game. How could I predict that 15 minutes after the moment we started playing I would be shivering from expectation of making a great combo.

You see, I'm not a very emotional person, but knowing that I had just a few seconds to memorize the right icons on the dice and make a huge leap on the racing track... wow.

It's not a complex game to play, but it's for sure a very fun and exciting one to take a look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Markus, any traitor game can be like this if you're the traitor. I especially love Avalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sukunai Yori
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in uniform in 79, and to this day, I can't handle WW3 setting games based on the potential for war in Europe of the cold war era.

I get depression and cold war like stress based feelings.

I also have trouble with some of the films of the era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
I have said this before, but Sentinels of the Multiverse has a villain called Spite - a psychotic, drugged-up murderer. As this is a coop you play against him, saving as many people as possible, but sooner or later you will not have to resources to ensure everyone's safety.
I know it's just make believe and playing cards, but I'll be damned if the game doesn't come to a total halt when the time comes to decide who lives and who dies.

Another game that plays up the frantic factor awesomely is Space Cadets: Dice Duel. Even if you play with a captain who does nothing more than just supervise the game you just can't help but get invested in the fate of your little plastic spaceship. I regularly need fifteen minutes after each game to calm down before I can play something else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah either Space Cadets title, or Alcatraz: The Scapegoat. In the game, one person loses, and everyone else wins, but all of that is decided by the players, so it's heartbreaking when you are deemed the "least useful" to the escape plan, and left behind. Good times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erm, Dominion gets me pretty riled up if I can see I have an awesome combo turn coming up.

King of Tokyo had me jump in the air when I went fra 9->20 points in one turn (or was it 11->20) with the action card that gives 11 (or 9?) VP when u hit each of the different die results.

Being a new AN player I get pretty excited playing either side for the thematic flavor which also trigger my emotions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel strong anger every time I play Monopoly. I don't think this was intended by the designers, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit and Terror in Meeple City

I think laughter qualifies as an emotional response. I always have great laugh in these two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time we play The Resistance: Avalon and I'm Merlin I'm freaking out basically the entire time. Luckily it's not a long game and it's very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I get stressed out with the responsibility to feed my people in Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

10 minutes played thru a soundtrack and you have to get out....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
alandric wrote:
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

10 minutes played thru a soundtrack and you have to get out....

OMG I totally agree with you!!! I was playing while my mom was reading next to me, and next thing I know after 10 minutes she commented that had she not know I'm playing a game she'd think I'm insane because I was squeaking and nervous and chasing against a clock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I know whenever I play games like Betrayal at House on the Hill, Eldritch Horror and Mansions of Madness: First Edition I get super nervous whenever the evil ones get close. That's why I love thematic games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play Freedom: The Underground Railroad, it feels more important than just pushing pawns around a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
When I play Freedom: The Underground Railroad, it feels more important than just pushing pawns around a board.

Still haven't won this one. So far, the pressure is amped up because its not monsters or points you're losing. Everyone I've played with gets more distraught than when things start stacking up against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masoud Tabatabaei
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space , for all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig McRoberts
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic. For me, it's genuine tension and fear when those cards are getting turned over. The sick people are faceless cubes on the map, but I feel for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy!

Nobody brought it up yet? Unbelievable. Well the game is unbelievable, 8-10 hour of intense negotiations, plans, promises, alliances, everything leading towards a glorious backstab. Or two. Or three.

As intense as it gets.
Will my betrayal be anticipated?
Will my bluff work?
What the hell is my idiot of an ally doing in Silesia?
If he's my friend why the hell is he building ships?
bah, screw this, I'll attack everybody. And then apologize.

10 hours is a bit too much for me, so I prefer online (1 day per turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True_Dave wrote:
I played my first game of Letters from Whitechapel last night and as the games owner I was given the role of Jack the Ripper.

I can't believe how involved I got in that game; my chest was tightening as the police closed in, I worried that my sweaty palms might cause me to drop my pen or my nerves to topple the screen, the inner joy at hearing the others players decide I had left the area they'd actually cornered me in, and how the tension ratcheted up as I stealthily shadowed one of the Constables to get round the Police cordon and return to my lodgings for the win.

At a few points I thought I needed a release to stop me exploding, maybe a few press ups or a run round the block, except I couldn't tear myself away. I understand that these feelings will lessen with each subsequent play, but for now I'm still buzzing thinking about it.

Has anyone else had a game that triggered such a response, and if so, what game?

i thought the emotional response was triggered at the time you fork your $$$ to pay for the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
i thought the emotional response was triggered at the time you fork your $$$ to pay for the game

Of course.

Oh man oh man, that's a lot of money, hope the game won't suck, please don't suck, really nice minis so that's good, isn't it?, what if I won't like it? Aaaah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
Dixit and Terror in Meeple City

I think laughter qualifies as an emotional response. I always have great laugh in these two games.

Try speed recognition games - Jungle Speed and Geistesblitz (the former more than the latter). Also I always laugh in Cosmic Encounter. And roleplay in King of Tokyo, that's emotional, right, right? Talking with German accent as zee peenk bunny rabbit and throwing threats around the table? Uhm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emotional response : when you see your friends drinking and eating and using their dirty hands while handling the boardgame pieces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.