Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone's tinkered with the possibility of a WW1 variant for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Files, there is a 1920 variant of Poles vs. Sovs: "Red Star White Eagle" (page 4 of the files). Craig designed a 1936 variant "War In Our Time", premise being the Czechs fight and the rest of the powers split up sides. I haven't heard of WW1 variant. I always thought the map was a good start for a "Euro Rail Baron" game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The map is amazing, perfect gaming map - super functional but very easy on the eye. That's why I thought a WW1 variant would be nice - I presume not much would've changed between 1918-1936 to warrant a major map change. The fog of war would be a nice aspect to gaming the 1914 campaigns - dummy blocks and all.

Any interest in developing one? I'm happy to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Besinque
Canada
New Denver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a very rough start to such a variant.
Nice idea. Would be interesting to work on.
Let me finish T&T first.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colditz wrote:
The map is amazing, perfect gaming map - super functional but very easy on the eye. That's why I thought a WW1 variant would be nice - I presume not much would've changed between 1918-1936 to warrant a major map change.

Poland was divided between Germany & Russia, mostly Russia. Baltic States & Finland are Russia. Austro-Hungary was a separate power (incl Czechoslovakia, Transylvania & part of Rumania). Yugoslavia would have to be subdivided into Serbia, Croatia & Montenegro.The Balkans generally would be substantial re-draw. Germany includes Metz & Strausbourg. Trieste is part of Austria.

http://mapsof.net/uploads/static-maps/wwi_alliances_europe_1...

I think the concept is good, but not sure of the map scale suitability. The Western Front is 6 hexes wide. The Italian 2 hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've been watching the development of T&T it strikes me that once you have a map, and have figured out how to embed it in Vassal (which is the playtest venue of choice), modifications to the map are not much problem. I would guess that WW1 would have a bit fewer rails, and maybe areas of Russia would have road rules similar to EuF WF, but the hard part looks done.
And what's best: the hard part was all done by Craig, so the rest of use can just enjoy. Pass the beer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
colditz wrote:
The map is amazing, perfect gaming map - super functional but very easy on the eye. That's why I thought a WW1 variant would be nice - I presume not much would've changed between 1918-1936 to warrant a major map change.

Poland was divided between Germany & Russia, mostly Russia. Baltic States & Finland are Russia. Austro-Hungary was a separate power (incl Czechoslovakia, Transylvania & part of Rumania). Yugoslavia would have to be subdivided into Serbia, Croatia & Montenegro.The Balkans generally would be substantial re-draw. Germany includes Metz & Strausbourg. Trieste is part of Austria.

http://mapsof.net/uploads/static-maps/wwi_alliances_europe_1...

I think the concept is good, but not sure of the map scale suitability. The Western Front is 6 hexes wide. The Italian 2 hexes.

Yeah, sorry, I meant the geography hadn't changed much - political boundaries yes, but on plexiglass you could draw those in. I think the two hex is fine for the Italian front. Rather puts the Capporetto offensives into context - what else could the Italians do but launch infantry in those two hexes?

Early war rules would probably have to differ from 1915 onward, especially on the Western front - perhaps a default double or even triple defence for infantry dug-in. No air but perhaps artillery concentration coordinated by the HQs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the French Army? Leaving them as 1 block Armies seems a bit harsh. OTOH, maybe Army scale might be easier all round. However, if the German and British armies are Corps, probably the French should be too.

Maybe units could become Fort units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remembered AH's 1914 game: turned me off all WW1. Sitzkrieg on the WF was very uninteresting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
M√ľnchen
flag msg tools
I am a huge fan of EuroFront and I am also very interested in the First World War, so I'd really like to see a multiplayer block game on this topic. If you need any help in designing, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scouterpmphx wrote:
I just remembered AH's 1914 game: turned me off all WW1. Sitzkrieg on the WF was very uninteresting.

The Western & Italian Fronts were very static, but the Eastern & Middle Eastern fronts had significant movement.

It seems to me quite possible within the existing set to create a WW1 Middle East scenario using the Turk Army, and selected Russian, British & French blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan de Marco
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could incorporate the mandated offensives from Paths of Glory, meaning you have to perform an attack in the West/Italy, by either side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.