Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the (few) flaws of this otherwise beatiful game is (IMHO) the low player limit.
Anyway, I think that adding at least a fifth player (family) wouldn't affect the game mechanics and balance in "unacceptable" ways, even without modifying anything in the rules. It would alter strategies, of course (much more struggle for colonies, for example).
But I'd really appreciate an expansion featuring another major venetian family filling in the gap (for esample, the Contarini or the Mocenigo, both counting several Dogi across history).
What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
蓝魔
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Impossible to tell until the game becomes available in the UK, although having reading the rules I would be concerned about the number of actions in between each Doge election.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
moocifer wrote:
Impossible to tell until the game becomes available in the UK, although having reading the rules I would be concerned about the number of actions in between each Doge election.

What do you mean: that with 5 players the amount of actions (=dice chosen) would be too high? In fact, usually in a 4-players game there are 9 actions (2 rounds + last round of the current Doge) between elections unless Assassination card is played.
In a hypothetical 5-players game, in most cases there would be 11 actions between two elections (9 + 2 actions by the fifth player).
If I'm not wrong
...it would mean probably 1 or maximum 2 less elections in a full game. If the concern is about candidate choice mechanic becoming less important (and election winning becoming MORE important), it would affect all players the same way...

ERRATA: the "action count" was based only on the first round of play. In subsequent rounds, the amount of actions played varies between 5 and 12, depending on the Assassination card (ok, there's even a slight chance to have TWO assassinations during the same Dogado..) and on the position (around the table) of the player becoming the new Doge. If a player manages to win two consecutive elections, the "life" of the second Doge will be longer (12 turns without Assassinations). With a 5th player involved, the additional actions would be 2 or maximum 3 per Dogado.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.