Popular Tags: [View All]
M *
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just watched Shut Up and Sit Down's Mega Game Episode

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/susd-play-goddamn-...

And I'm looking for a game that scratches that itch, but is still contained and straight forward like Diplomacy. Maybe with a bit more spy stuff, or economic stuff.

I like Diplomacy, just looking for something . . . deeper.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
Mexico
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Thrones 2nd edition is easily described as "Diplomacy, with more stuff going on." Check out some reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Machiavelli

Same basic idea with more economics on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires has a wonderful alliance mechanic at the beginning of each (of 3) wars. Check it out. I think it might be what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Hivemind wrote:
Machiavelli

Oh, good one. I haven't though about that game in years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Eye wrote:
Game of Thrones 2nd edition is easily described as "Diplomacy, with more stuff going on." Check out some reviews.

I'd second Game of Thrones -- especially (but not exclusively) if you're a fan of the show/books. For me, it's more interesting than Diplomacy, which is a bit too dry for my taste (great game though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrior Knights fills the bill. You could also try and look into Rex, although it gives you less liberty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here to rec Games of Thrones and Struggle of Empires. Has already been represented so add a +1 from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hivemind wrote:
Machiavelli

This is the one. Its a step up in complexity from dip but it is the same combat system.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the first responder: Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) is pretty much a bigger Diplomacy.

It appears complex at first, but really it all comes down to what Diplomacy is all about.. yes, it can ruin friendships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
I agree with the first responder: Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) is pretty much a bigger Diplomacy.

It appears complex at first, but really it all comes down to what Diplomacy is all about.. yes, it can ruin friendships.

I agree -- it's not as complicated as it seems. But the first couple turns do tend to take a bit longer while people figure things out. And it's not as frienship-ruining as Diplomacy can be (IMO). Maybe it's because it tends to be more about timely back-stabbing in order to grab a key location, instead of completely wiping people out.

Which is another thing I like about the game... When someone controls enough castles/strongholds, the game immediately ends. Or after the 10th turn. So player elimination typically doesn't happen, and you don't need to conquer the entire realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having played in megagames, two games I felt offered a similar experience (ie lots of negotiations) with smaller numbers of players are Mid-East Peace and Junta. A friend once organised a game of Mid-East Peace with a dozen players and it worked very well.

What you ideally want is limited rules and a framework for team interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Republic of Rome, Civilization, Junta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.