Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Twilight Struggle--Ameritrash or Euro game?
After playing this game, I wondered, "What kind of game do most people this this is--Ameritrash or Euro?"

Define for yourself the meaning of each term.
Ameritrash
Euro
      79 answers
Poll created by fbsfbs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an either-or fallacy.

Besides, however curious you may be, the debate over TS's classification is NOT worth bringing up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Neither.

Agreed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Card driven war game with great historical references...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What kind of game do most people this this is

A board game. And a damned fine one at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Kosarev
Russia
Lyubertsy
Moscovskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mb
Eurotrash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At its heart it is a mashup of chess and Yahtzee....except that there are no chess peices, nor is there a chess board, and in point of fact you can't get a Yahtzee or even a small straight, which makes it really a lot more like a hybrid of "Old Maid" and a Quarter-Pounder with Cheese (TM), except there there is no old maid, nor is there any beef or cheese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a Globaltreasure game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Trolling by polling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the version with the "deluxe" map or not?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
This in fact a trick question. It never shipped without a deluxe map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's obviously a party game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Communist Party approves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
fbsfbs wrote:
After playing this game, I wondered, "What kind of game do most people this this is--Ameritrash or Euro?"

Ameritrash
Euro
      79 answers
Poll created by fbsfbs

Does it matter what others think?

Be a man! Just ask your mother!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
Trolling by polling?

The preferred nomenclature is tropolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
fbsfbs wrote:

Ameritrash
Euro
      79 answers
Poll created by fbsfbs

Still puzzling over the fact that nine people think TS is Ameritrash, of all things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Reilly
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbsfbs wrote:

Ameritrash
Euro
      79 answers
Poll created by fbsfbs

Clearly, it is a wargame. It has two pieces with tanks on them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is neither. It is a card driven wargame based on the mechanics introduced in We the People.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fbsfbs wrote:

Ameritrash
Euro
      79 answers
Poll created by fbsfbs

While there is definitely a eurogame tradition, I don't think ameritrash is well defined. A much more important tradition from the US is the wargame tradition. All the old games from Avalon Hill is another important tradition from the US. Are those ameritrash? The term 'ameritrash' was invented as a reaction by people who felt eurogames were too abstract, AFAIK, and I think most real ameritrash games are neither good nor influential. That's why I think ameritrash has fused with eurogames. While you still have games that are clearly in the eurogame tradition, there are no games today, except wargames, that are not influenced by eurogames to some degree. Twilight Struggle is a bit special because in some (most?) ways it is definitely in the wargame tradition. Not only is the theme war (although a cold one), but the card driven mechanism it uses was invented by wargame designers (and GMT is primarily a wargame publisher). On the other hand it is an area control game, which puts it in the eurogame tradition.

To make a long story short, and to answer your question: Twilight Struggle is a wargame, with some mechanisms inherited from eurogames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
fbsfbs wrote:

Ameritrash
Euro
      79 answers
Poll created by fbsfbs

While there is definitely a eurogame tradition, I don't think ameritrash is well defined. A much more important tradition from the US is the wargame tradition. All the old games from Avalon Hill is another important tradition from the US. Are those ameritrash? The term 'ameritrash' was invented as a reaction by people who felt eurogames were too abstract, AFAIK, and I think most real ameritrash games are neither good nor influential. That's why I think ameritrash has fused with eurogames. While you still have games that are clearly in the eurogame tradition, there are no games today, except wargames, that are not influenced by eurogames to some degree. Twilight Struggle is a bit special because in some (most?) ways it is definitely in the wargame tradition. Not only is the theme war (although a cold one), but the card driven mechanism it uses was invented by wargame designers (and GMT is primarily a wargame publisher). On the other hand it is an area control game, which puts it in the eurogame tradition.

To make a long story short, and to answer your question: Twilight Struggle is a wargame, with some mechanisms inherited from eurogames.

Excellent analysis. I posted this thread because the game is so great and the game seemingly doesn't fit neatly into a single category. But I am interested in others' thoughts. Thanks for everyone's input and votes--keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ameritrash and Eurogames are not the only game genres into which every game has to fit. The card driven war game was popularized by the Avalon Hill game We the People from 1994.

Wargames is certainly a genre (albeit a broad one) quite separate from Ameritrash and Eurogames.

If you like Twilight Struggle I suggest you also try the following great card driven wargames:

We the People
Hannibal
Successors
Paths of Glory
Napoleonic Wars

There are more, but these are the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Stockburn
United Kingdom
Burnley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Neither.

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
Ameritrash and Eurogames are not the only game genres into which every game has to fit. The card driven war game was popularized by the Avalon Hill game We the People from 1994.

Wargames is certainly a genre (albeit a broad one) quite separate from Ameritrash and Eurogames.

If you like Twilight Struggle I suggest you also try the following great card driven wargames:

We the People
Hannibal
Successors
Paths of Glory
Napoleonic Wars

There are more, but these are the best.

I disagree. Twilight Struggle is only like these games in that it's card driven. If you like Twilight Struggle, you're more likely to find similarities with games that came after: Labyrinth and 1989. 1989 is the game most like Twilight Struggle and many people like both very much. I would put Labyrinth in the same family but many people who like Twilight Struggle and 1989 do not like Labyrinth at all. I personally love it.

What they have in common is how cards are managed. In the games you list above, you can play your cards as events or Ops and your opponent's cards as Ops. The three games I listed have a very different dynamic in that you have to be very careful how you play your opponent's cards as the event always takes place. This makes for a very different kind of game and puts them in an entirely different class of playing style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
mkiefte wrote:
What they have in common is how cards are managed. In the games you list above, you can play your cards as events or Ops and your opponent's cards as Ops. The three games I listed have a very different dynamic in that you have to be very careful how you play your opponent's cards as the event always takes place. This makes for a very different kind of game and puts them in an entirely different class of playing style.

It could actually be an interesting experiment to try to play For the People (which has a shared deck of red/blue/neutral events, like Twilight Struggle) with the same event rules as Twilight Struggle and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Sánchez
Spain
LM City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many time spent talking about games and not playing games... Does it really matter if it is Warome or Amwaro? Qualifiers don't improve games, even don't help you to decide if you want to play them. Their only meaning is the mantaining of purity of people that doesn't play this or that because they think some kind games aren't fun.

But that's just my opinion...

Play and have fun with boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flojo wrote:
So many time spent talking about games and not playing games... Does it really matter if it is Warome or Amwaro? Qualifiers don't improve games, even don't help you to decide if you want to play them. Their only meaning is the mantaining of purity of people that doesn't play this or that because they think some kind games aren't fun.

But that's just my opinion...

Play and have fun with boardgames.

Have to agree with Jorge and block this thread from my subscription. Menotcares!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.