Subject: Abysmal rating before the game is even out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people have an axe to grind against StoneBlade and the Ascension series. We are three weeks before release and 2 people have already marked the game down. One player rate the game as 1. Truly ridiculous and clearly shows the player's intention is to just tarnish the game's reputation. Shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guigtexas wrote:
Some people have an axe to grind against StoneBlade and the Ascension series. We are three weeks before release and 2 people have already marked the game down. One player rate the game as 1. Truly ridiculous and clearly shows the player's intention is to just tarnish the game's reputation. Shame.
There are still many other issues to consider, but is it possible for that alone, a pre-release copy was played at a convention or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
mbmbmbmbmb
guigtexas wrote:

Looking at the ratings from the individual who gave this a 1... 31% his game ratings and 49% of his expansion ratings are a '1.' He is obviously a troll, or needs to find a different hobby {IMO}. On the other hand, I don't know that rating this as a 6 should count as 'marking it down;" it certainly doesn't look like a 8-10 type game from the few cards that have been spoiled so far.

Admittedly, there are a LOT of reasons someone would have an axe to grind with Stoneblade [horrible communication with backers/customers, Practically abandoning Ascension Online for SolForge, etc.] ... but that's not a reason to take it out on this game.

That aside, this looks... interesting. I'm intrigued to see how they retain each faction's distinct flavor while implementing engaging mechanisms. Really hope the smaller expansion to this introduces factionless heroes as well. If nothing else, I'm still a fan of the game and hope to try it out--and subsequently report back--at Origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whisperhand wrote:
guigtexas wrote:

Looking at the ratings from the individual who gave this a 1... 31% his game ratings and 49% of his expansion ratings are a '1.' He is obviously a troll, or needs to find a different hobby {IMO}. On the other hand, I don't know that rating this as a 6 should count as 'marking it down;" it certainly doesn't look like a 8-10 type game from the few cards that have been spoiled so far.

Admittedly, there are a LOT of reasons someone would have an axe to grind with Stoneblade [horrible communication with backers/customers, Practically abandoning Ascension Online for SolForge, etc.] ... but that's not a reason to take it out on this game.

That aside, this looks... interesting. I'm intrigued to see how they retain each faction's distinct flavor while implementing engaging mechanisms. Really hope the smaller expansion to this introduces factionless heroes as well. If nothing else, I'm still a fan of the game and hope to try it out--and subsequently report back--at Origins.

Definitely a troll, or someone with a grudge. If you look at the games he has rated as a 1, they are all Ascension products. Every one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whisperhand wrote:
On the other hand, I don't know that rating this as a 6 should count as 'marking it down;" it certainly doesn't look like a 8-10 type game from the few cards that have been spoiled so far.

I agree that a 6 is not a mark down. I gave Battlestar Galactica a 6.5. It's not that I don't think the game is any good, I just didn't like it. The other players really enjoyed it, I felt underwhelmed with it. As far as Ascension is concerned, it is fairly straightforward and for many players there is little meat behind Ascension. I like it precisely because I can play on autopilot.

As for the horrible communication and the abandonment, I feel frustrated with Solforge. Ascension receives so little communication even though it is "good" game (to me it is a game which has very broad appeal because it is easy to learn). Similarly, I was annoyed with AEG when their new Numenera Thunderstone came out with barely a whisper and maybe 1 or 2 spoilers.

Hope to read more from early plays, but the multi-faction seems like it would be fun for a while. I always felt that Ascension releases were very block specific with little overlap even though one could technically put those together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.