Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am an incredibly amateur Board Game Designer, but I have been working on this one idea for a while (it's almost presentable, and I'll be able to post a version soon, if everything goes according to plan). The main problem is that there are too many moving pieces to manage. This becomes so overwhelming that this in and of itself makes the game less fun to play. (Brief run down: you are growing around 35 plants with their own individual tokens and you need to water them with water tokens. At the end of the year, you need to remove the water tokens. This gets annoying when having to remove about 15-20 tokens without accidentally knocking around the flower tokens. End explanation.) I've already started counting resources on a track instead of with individual pieces, and I'm afraid if I abstract away the whole farming element into tracks, the game will be too abstract and lost any theme it has. Do I need to just grin and bear the fiddly, or do I lose theme to make it less of a hassle? Or is there a third alternative I haven't thought of yet?

Edit: Here is my post for the game: Wizard Farmers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reduce the number of plants. More is not always better, and if you reduce the number of plants, and the amount of resources available to grow them, it will make a tighter game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
So I am an incredibly amateur Board Game Designer, but I have been working on this one idea for a while (it's almost presentable, and I'll be able to post a version soon, if everything goes according to plan). The main problem is that there are too many moving pieces to manage. This becomes so overwhelming that this in and of itself makes the game less fun to play. (Brief run down: you are growing around 35 plants with their own individual tokens and you need to water them with water tokens. At the end of the year, you need to remove the water tokens. This gets annoying when having to remove about 15-20 tokens without accidentally knocking around the flower tokens. End explanation.) I've already started counting resources on a track instead of with individual pieces, and I'm afraid if I abstract away the whole farming element into tracks, the game will be too abstract and lost any theme it has. Do I need to just grin and bear the fiddly, or do I lose theme to make it less of a hassle? Or is there a third alternative I haven't thought of yet?

1. Electronic Tablet game. That should speak for itself. I'm not a big fan of using that avenue, but admittedly, I do play a lot of games on my iPad.

2. Special constructed game board.

Imagine this: You've got two 5x7 grids, one on top of the other. Each of the squares on the grid represents the plant you're watering. The top grid has a small slot, large enough to insert coin-like water tokens. The bottom grid has little cups to catch the tokens.

If necessary, you can even have some kind of LEGO nubs on the top grid, and whenever your plant grows, you attach another LEGO bit on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea: irrigation track starting at the left of the board?
essentially you have to water your plants "in order" from left to right, and the marker indicates how far down a "row" your irrigation reaches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies so far! I think the next step for me is to put the full rules up for the game so that people can see what would best fit my situation. I think when I do, I might link that thread with this one and vice versa (unless that's not allowed, of course). There are other mechanics and such that muddy the waters for some of these opportunities, unfortunately.

(A few of them: players need to build up an infrastructure to attack other players and to manage their farms better; in addition, there are worker placement elements. Both of these lead to me having little flexibility with reducing the amount of flowers/resources. Also, a new flower comes into play automatically watered, which messes with the track system a little. Players can also burn crops, which also makes the burned plot unworkable. Hopefully I can provide some context to this a little later.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.