13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Axis and allies vs memoire 44 vs tide of iron rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anatoliy Yakimets
Ukraine
flag msg tools
What can you say about these games? Which one is better and why?
(Selected them cuz they are wargames playable with 4)

A&A looks good becauese it is global, but looks rather flat in terms of tactics
ToI looks like the most complex but is it fun to play?
M44 looks like something in between

What do you think? (Any games even better?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Roodvoets
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
I own and play all 3 with Tide of Iron being my favorite. Tide of Iron has more complexity to it so it wins out by a hair over Memoir 44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of these three ToI, but the set up is so tedious, and the rules aren't the best. If you are looking at the games playable with 4, try Conflict of Heroes, or COIN series (e.g. Andean Abyss or Cuba Libre)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know man. Seems like Apples vs. Oranges vs. Steak if you ask me. Only things in common are lots of plastic, lots of dice, and lots of cardboard.

While all three are great, I'd say AA is more fun while ToI is the better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A&A is probably the worst game of the three, but definitely your best choice if you want to play with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played Axis and Allies off and on for (what's it been, 25-30 years now?), own and played Memoir 44, own and played Tide of Iron, and been a big wargame fan in general... I'd say Tide of Iron.

A&A - too long, a pain to keep up with all the fixes the designer came up with to make the game fair, etc.

Memoir 44 - shorter, almost too short. Dislike the card-dependent movement (not hate, just dislike), and the scoring method sucks.

Tide of Iron - a good balance in length, strategy, and complexity. If you happen to delve into Advanced Squad Leader after this, there will be elements you'll find more natural after playing ToI. Some issues with it, but overall the best of the 3 games in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies is an old school, antiquated design. Memoir is too light for the effort involved. Tide of Iron is the best of the three, but it's overwrought, too fiddly, way too many little rules you'll either forget or get bogged down in the rulebook instead of actually playing.

Does it have to be WWII? There are many better war-games for 2-4 players available. If you're like me, you'll wind up trading away the above three for something like 1775: Rebellion, Shogun, or Antike, all with less chrome but better gameplay and more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gaseki wrote:
Out of these three ToI, but the set up is so tedious, and the rules aren't the best. If you are looking at the games playable with 4, try Conflict of Heroes, or COIN series (e.g. Andean Abyss or Cuba Libre)

If you want a wargame about WW2 that is playable with 4... conflict of heroes is indeed your best pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoliy Yakimets
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Thanks all. Im looking for ww2 and beyound, since i'm not a fan of older timeline.

Actually i was looking for a modern warfare wargame but could not find anything good execpt COIN seiries (waiting gor my ADP reprint)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy yourself a copy of Combat Commander (2 player game) and realize that perhaps your 4 player 'war-gaming' days may be numbered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:
Buy yourself a copy of Combat Commander (2 player game) and realize that perhaps your 4 player 'war-gaming' days may be numbered.

He's looking for a 4 player modern wargame. You suggest a 2 player WW2 game

If you are new yo the COIN series... Cuba Libre is the best introduction (easier in rules and less playtime to finish a game) A distant plain is the more heavy one so far in the series.

If you want a modern war playable with 4 players you can always check Fortress America I haven't playerd it yet so can't comment on it.

If you don't mind a good 2 player game about modern war... World at War: Eisenbach Gap is a good platoon level game to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoliy Yakimets
Ukraine
flag msg tools
Thanks, the game should be for 4 players,because we play to socialize (instead of getting drunk ).

In the perfect world it would prefer something that is:
- large scale (like axis & alliances, ok probabbly cut down to a region)
- card based (i believe it is almost the only way how to create deep tactics without over-complicating rules with 200 units)
- tactics should be created by deep planning, not by over-complicated rules (I can't stop putting Eclipse as an example)

It would be A&A merged with ToI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ablomis wrote:
Thanks, the game should be for 4 players,because we play to socialize (instead of getting drunk ).

In the perfect world it would prefer something that is:
- large scale (like axis & alliances, ok probabbly cut down to a region)
- card based (i believe it is almost the only way how to create deep tactics without over-complicating rules with 200 units)
- tactics should be created by deep planning, not by over-complicated rules (I can't stop putting Eclipse as an example)

It would be A&A merged with ToI

Conflict of heroes would be your game. It has cards but is not card driven, playable with 4 and if you don't plan ahead your moves... you will lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.