Edge Of Dreams
msg tools
I just ordered the base set and the extra characters add-on, really excited to play. However, I haven't been able to find any explanation of what each class/character is good or bad at. Could someone give me a brief explanation of each one and their general playstyle? Even just a sentence or two each would be helpful.

Also, I keep seeing people use the character names without saying the class name, which is confusing to me because I'm not familiar with the Pathfinder Iconic characters, so please use *both* the character name and class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Strategy forum there are several threads titled "Character Discussion: Name". Try there for starters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call the Character Discussions here "brief." They do a good job at highlighting strengths and weaknesses, but they are anything but brief. Here are the descriptions from the rulebook:

Amiri, the barbarian
Amiri is a scrapper. The strongest character in the game, she can also unleash her deadly rage, tossing cards to get boosts to her physical checks. This is a bit dangerous, but Amiri is a daredevil. She’s never going to be stuck anywhere she doesn’t want to be. When a barbarian enters the room, she leaves when she wants to.

Ezren, the wizard
Ezren’s talents lie in spellcasting. He’s got a lot of spells, and can get them into his hand quickly. This also means he might run out of cards before he reaches the end of the adventure. He also has no blessings, so he might not get to explore much unless he acquires some allies or finds some magic that lets him explore again.

Harsk, the ranger
Harsk is the friend everyone wants to have—as long as he’s somewhere else. Ranged weapons suit him best; his ability to fire arrows from long distances can turn the tide of many a combat. He’s also great in dangerous locations because he can scout out the threats in advance and endure whatever they throw at him.

Kyra, the cleric
Everybody runs to Kyra for help. She can heal without a Healing spell, but doing so keeps her from exploring. She must find a balance between using her blessings for bonus dice and spending them to explore again. She’s also a good combatant, and shines when she tries to kill something that should already be dead.

Lem, the bard
While most others specialize, Lem wants to do everything. He’s a jack of all trades, capable of handling most challenges. He’s great at making friends, whether they’re characters who need a boost or allies who want to join his side. He should pick up as many spells as he can, as he’s the only character who can use all of them efficiently.

Lini, the druid
Lini commands animals to do her bidding—a humble dog will serve her better than most humans will. She’s a good spellcaster, and can serve as a healer if Kyra’s occupied. If all else fails, she can even turn into a bear to bump up her Strength or Dexterity considerably. That lets her collect a lot of non-Attack spells.

Merisiel, the rogue
When she’s on her own, sneaky Merisiel has the power to burn cards to boost her own deadliness. She can take out just about anything—including herself if she’s not careful. She needs to temper her bonus damage with selfpreservation. She’s talented at removing barriers, and at never getting into a fight she doesn’t want.

Sajan, the monk
Sajan has nary a weapon, armor, or spell, but that doesn’t mean he’s a lesser combatant. He churns through blessings to pump up his unarmed attacks, and to explore as much as he likes. Sajan’s lack of armor means he can quickly get into trouble, though, so he wants feats and items that can soften the sting of bad luck.

Seelah, the paladin
Seelah can wield swords and spells with equal skillfulness, and excels when on the defense. She turns blessings into damage, and her armors can handle most assaults. Seelah can also scope out the locations she’s exploring, but don’t expect her to hang on to treasure—she’s looking for evildoers to smite.

Seoni, the sorcerer
Seoni blows stuff up. Even if she doesn’t have a spell in her hand, she can invoke a fire blast whenever she meets an unfriendly sort. She doesn’t have many spells to start with, but since she has an explosive power, her spells don’t have to be Attack spells. And since she always recharges her spells, she’ll be seeing them a lot.

Valeros, the fighter
Valeros is bristling with weapons. While most characters must discard them for their most powerful effects, Valeros just puts them back into his deck. That means he shouldn’t be afraid to take damage or discard to get to the cards he wants. Valeros is effective when he’s using up his cards, not when he’s safeguarding them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I wouldn't call the Character Discussions here "brief." They do a good job at highlighting strengths and weaknesses, but they are anything but brief.
Agreed, but I assumed the OP had read the rulebook and that more detail than that was required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edge Of Dreams
msg tools
mccrispy wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:
I wouldn't call the Character Discussions here "brief." They do a good job at highlighting strengths and weaknesses, but they are anything but brief.
Agreed, but I assumed the OP had read the rulebook and that more detail than that was required.

Actually, since I just ordered the game, I haven't gotten my hands on the rulebook yet. Is it posted as a file somewhere?

Thanks, Darren, for those summaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edge Of Dreams
msg tools
Nevermind, I found the rule book link right there on the game's main page. Silly me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think it might be difficult to highlight the strengths / weaknesses of individual characters unless one has played at least a demo of the game. The game is all about making rolls while judiciously spending the resources you have (viz., cards in your deck). Different characters have different amounts of various resources, with some having no resources of a particular type (e.g., no armor cards for a particular character, or spell / weapon / blessing cards for other characters). There are also "powers" which give characters the ability to do certain things with cards (spend a resource of one type to be another, "heal" cards in someone's deck, spend a resource more efficiently (e.g., put back in your deck instead of discard it).

Most characters are really good in some situations and with some types of cards and not-so-great at others. As you play the game, you'll figure out which situations those are...and the threads MC Crispy mentioned will get a lot more helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:

Sajan, the monk
Sajan has nary a weapon, armor, or spell, but that doesn’t mean he’s a lesser combatant. He churns through blessings to pump up his unarmed attacks, and to explore as much as he likes. Sajan’s lack of armor means he can quickly get into trouble, though, so he wants feats and items that can soften the sting of bad luck.

Hold. The. Phone. Can someone elaborate on the "explore as much as he likes" considering the blessing recharge was only for attacks? How does he explore as much as he wants? More specifically -- WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING SO WRONG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artayd2 wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

Sajan, the monk

Hold. The. Phone. Can someone elaborate on the "explore as much as he likes" considering the blessing recharge was only for attacks? How does he explore as much as he wants? More specifically -- WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING SO WRONG?

Don't worry. You've been doing it right. He can only recharge his blessings when he plays them for his combat check.

Sajan wrote:
You may play any number of blessings on your combat check; recharge them instead of discarding them.

He can use it with a weapon (if you get him one). And he can use it on the barriers that are combat checks. But it has to be a combat check.

I think the rulebook description which was quoted there just refers to the fact that he has so many blessings he can explore more than others. Of course, if you do so, you don't have blessings for your checks.

If you want to experience something almost like really exploring as much as you want, try Drunken Master Sajan with a couple of Potions of Healing. I have him with 2 and also Poog and Father Zantus. I have no qualms about play blessings freely for anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artayd2 wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

Sajan, the monk

Nothing. It's that 'as much as he likes' clause that's subtly misleading. If he likes to forgo the ability to fight without a weapon he can use the Blessings to Explore. If you have the right Blessings, you can discard some to Explore and keep the others back for combat. This has the side benefit of thinning you deck and optimising for combat - especially toward the back end of the Scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the original question: I'd also recommend not disregarding characters when you read their abilities without having played a bit. Amiri can bury cards to increase her strength or constitution skill. That means the card she buries she won't have for the rest of the scenario. It is almost the highest cost you can have to pay for a card. At first, I thought that sounded horrible, as I suspect lots of others did. But my wife started playing her in January and we are up to the most recent release and Amiri has been awesome. Use her power judiciously and it can be amazing. As can her "moving at the end of her turn" power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiri(barbarian) - can absolutely crush physical and combat checks, but is pretty useless at everything else. Pairs well with Lem, since she can carry him along with her from location to location to help offset her weakness, and get his bonus on all her non-physical checks. I think she's too limited, since all characters can do a pretty good job of handling combat, so her strength isn't really that special.

Ezren(wizard) - can be difficult to solo, and also play in large groups where you have to clear more cards per turn. His sweet spot is in groups with maybe 3-4 characters. He does have the largest collection of spells, but since those are his primary damage source, you'll probably need a lot of them to be for combat checks instead of utility.

Harsk(ranger) - the die he'll use for most of his combat checks seems low (d8), but it gets the job done. His scouting ability is nice, though I usually forget to use it, and I find his ranged combat support ability doesn't get used too often either. I actually find him pretty underwhelming.

Kyra(cleric) - the best healer in the game, and healing is probably one of the most powerful mechanics you can use. Works well with Valeros or maybe Amiri, who can usually give Kyra an extra weapon if she finds herself without one. Valeros can also help her with combat checks, which she sometimes needs.

Lem(bard) - the only caster who can use both divine & arcane spells, which opens up a lot of possibilities, and also makes him the best character for acquiring new spells at spell-heavy locations. He also pairs will with any characters that have specific check weaknesses that need to be addressed, like amiri.

Lini(druid) - perhaps one of the most OP characters. Keep an animal in her hand to add to ALL her checks. She has divine spells, so load up on cures to use discard effects of cards more frequently, and heal them back. Her supposed weakness is low combat check die, but being able to transform to beast mode (again, with heals, this can be done often) or pack offensive spells pretty much mitigates that.

Mesriel(rogue) - good for solo play, seems to work well in locations that give a lot of other characters problems. She's a little heavy on items, which can be seen as a downside, and I think she doesn't start with the weapon power, and few weapon cards, which you'll probably need to spend some upgrading to address.

Sajan(monk) - a little weaker at the start of a round, but once you thin his deck down to mostly blessings, he can be pretty powerful. I also found he doesn't play well with Lini, since they'll both want the unarmed amulet.

Seelah(paladin) - this is one I didn't think was that great at first, but have really come around to become one of my favorites/most powerful. Her weakness is her starting type is armor, and she has several armor cards cluttering her deck, which are essentially dead cards. But her ability to add to ALL her checks is even more powerful than Lini's. Though there's an actual cost to use this ability (as opposed to Lini's), but it really is worth it most of the time, and doesn't hurt as much as I initially expected. Especially with a couple cures, and once she gets the power to recharge spells as well as blessings, I do this all the time.

Seoni(sorcerer) - another one I found a lot better than she initially seemed. She has a lot fewer spell slots than Ezran, but since she can turn anything into a fireball, she doesn't need to fill those slots with combat spells, and can instead stock up on utility spells, which recharge automatically. This makes her one of the best support characters in the game. Plus she gets blessings, which is another bonus vs. Ezran.

Valeros(fighter) - very similar to Amiri in that his biggest strength (combat) usually just results in unnecessary overkill, and he doesn't really have enough else going for him to make up for his one-dimensional nature. Most other characters can take care of themselves, and usually split up, so his ability to help out with other combat checks at his location doesn't get used too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N R
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seelah(Paladin) is amazing. Much like Zdan, I thought Seelah was very mediocre at first. After playing a few time with her, I realized Seelah is an absolute beast. The ability to use blessings (and later spells) to add a d6 to any check is incredibly useful. The ability to bury boons is really useful when you are short on time and just need to hunt down villains and henchmen. Her low dexterity is her only real big disadvantage in my experiences. The inability to hold on to items and low intelligence has not really cost me anything substantial. Failing barrier checks due to d4 dexterity hurts. With the blessings, however, you can easily compensate for her weaknesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.