Subject: Questions about the FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, when you add up the combat strength of the monster, do you add the value on its die? In other words, if a Level 1 monster rolls a 1, is its strength 1 or 2? Same thing goes for the hero's level tracker dice?

Regarding the FAQ here (not sure if it is official or not):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I6bfvOxhFLAFIq4sjPLbao6V...

I have two questions:

Quote:
Q) If a witch attacks with the fire spell and the hero rolls the fire symbol on their armor (or weapon) in the same combat, what happens?

A) Because hero abilities activate first, the hero would be able to cast the fire spell. The witch would only be able to cast the spell if it fizzles for the hero.

Q) If a monster has the fire icon, can the hero cast the fire spell to prevent the monster from casting fire?

A) No. Even though the hero abilities activate first, the immunity prevents the fire spell from being cast. The monster would still be able to cast the spell.

I must be misinterpreting something here, but don't these two answers contradict each other?

Quote:

Q) How does the timing of fear work with the spear?

A) Heroes have priority with abilities, so you can use the spear first, but if the spear is targeted by fear you are unable to switch equipment.

What does this answer mean exactly? If a hero has already rolled his dice due to the spear, and then the monster uses fear on the hero, they can't switch equipment, right? In that case, why does it matter whether or not it was the spear that was targeted? Could this be simplified to just "Once a hero rolls their dice using the spear, they can't change their equipped items, even if the monster uses fear to remove one of them."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The level of the monster only tells you the number of dice to roll. It does not affect the total.

The witch is not specifically immune to any spells. So the hero chooses spells before the witch. But monsters that have fire innately (or gust, toad, or any other spell effect) prevent the player from using that spell effect against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donnbobhardy wrote:
The level of the monster only tells you the number of dice to roll. It does not affect the total.

The witch is not specifically immune to any spells. So the hero chooses spells before the witch. But monsters that have fire innately (or gust, toad, or any other spell effect) prevent the player from using that spell effect against them.

Great, thanks! I modified my OP to have a second question, if you have any insight on that I'd appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The experience tracker is also not used as part of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I meant this question...

Quote:

Q) How does the timing of fear work with the spear?

A) Heroes have priority with abilities, so you can use the spear first, but if the spear is targeted by fear you are unable to switch equipment.

What does this answer mean exactly? If a hero has already rolled his dice due to the spear, and then the monster uses fear on the hero, they can't switch equipment, right? In that case, why does it matter whether or not it was the spear that was targeted? Could this be simplified to just "Once a hero rolls their dice using the spear, they can't change their equipped items, even if the monster uses fear to remove one of them."?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They both mean the same thing. I believe that particular answer was a direct quote from Potluck. If it makes you feel better, I suppose I could change the wording.

EDIT: Done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I cleaned up my turn sequence post and I'd love to get your feedback. It is pretty close to correct I believe...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1177801/i-think-we-need-a-se...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.