This TUESDAY and EVERY Tuesday!

From 6 pm to approximately 10 pm.

Open Game Night in Victor, NY (UPSTATE NY!) at

The Game Gamut

86 W Main St
Victor, NY 14564
585/398-7145

http://www.thegamegamut.com/

Fun, clean, friendly! All ages, all sorts of games!

Come on down, stop by! Play!

Hope to see you there!

Lee

P.S.

This is NOT the primary spot On the Geek (www.boardgamegeek.com) or info on The Game Gamut.

The primary spot for information on The Game Gamut is the Game Gamut Guild:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1829

Please stop by the guild, and join us!

Also please stop by one of the two store locations!

Victor, NY
86 W Main St
Victor, NY 14564
585/398-7145

or

Pittsford, NY
10 Schoen Place
Pittsford, NY 14534
585/218-0988

Game Gamut events are also listed here on the Geek at:

Guilds - Regional - United States - New York - Upstate NY:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1945

Guilds - Regional - United States - New York - Rochester, NY:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/561

And until they are no longer supported (which is coming -- the admins have spoken!) - Forums - Game Groups - United States - North East:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/53/boardgamegeek/northeas...

Or you can find the Gamut on the Web at:

Our home page:
http://www.thegamegamut.com/

Or on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Game-Gamut/27688248232535...

Please Join the Guild! Stop by the stores! Visit the website or Facebook!

Please bookmark/like and SHARE info with anyone you know who may be able to stop by the stores or online!

Thanks!

Tags: The Game Gamut Event open Game Night Victor NY New York Upstate Rochester Canandaigua Fun Clean Friendly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lee, I was wondering if there's any way to create a single forum post and bump it every Tuesday and/or Thursday instead of creating a brand new post two times a week? Maybe you have a good reason for doing it the way you are, but maybe bumping a single post would work just as well?

I'm not trying to be grouchy, so please don't take it that way. It's just that these posts are starting to feel like spam to me and there's no way for me to block/unsubscribe from them (as far as I know) unless I unsubscribe from the Northeast forum entirely. Granted, it only takes me a few seconds to mark each of your new threads as "read" when they appear in my subscriptions, so I won't feel mad if you decide it's best to continue with your twice-weekly posts. Also, it's possible that I'm the only person who is annoyed by this so I don't claim to speak for the majority.

Just a friendly suggestion Thank-you for doing your part to foster this great hobby by organizing gaming meetups!

Happy gaming,

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OverEngineered wrote:
Hi Lee, I was wondering if there's any way to create a single forum post and bump it every Tuesday and/or Thursday instead of creating a brand new post two times a week? Maybe you have a good reason for doing it the way you are, but maybe bumping a single post would work just as well?

I'm not trying to be grouchy, so please don't take it that way. It's just that these posts are starting to feel like spam to me and there's no way for me to block/unsubscribe from them (as far as I know) unless I unsubscribe from the Northeast forum entirely. Granted, it only takes me a few seconds to mark each of your new threads as "read" when they appear in my subscriptions, so I won't feel mad if you decide it's best to continue with your twice-weekly posts. Also, it's possible that I'm the only person who is annoyed by this so I don't claim to speak for the majority.

Just a friendly suggestion Thank-you for doing your part to foster this great hobby by organizing gaming meetups!

Happy gaming,

Pat

Pat,

Personally, it would be easier for me if:
1. There was just regional guilds (which the admins are moving to)
2. The regional guilds were moderated to avoid overlap (right now -- there I post in Upstate and Rochester, NY)
3. If the Game Group, Regional Forum stays in existance, the North East group was broken down by state or at least into smaller territories.
4. or ideally, I could magically just sign everyone up for the Game Gamut Guild and just post to our own FLGS Guild forum and calendar and be done with it.

I too feel a bit "spammy" when posting the same message to 5 different spots, but as I understand it,
A. the admins are moving to Regional Guilds, but haven't mandated it yet
B. There is no set moderation / organization of regional guilds so far and different users look at different guilds and/or forums.
C. from feedback I have gotten most users either subscribe or bookmark these kind of sites and just keep an eye open or check back once in a while to see if there is something they are intersted in.

So I have been trying to post a day or so before the game nights with the day and where (Upstate, NY) so that if any users are subscribed, they can see from the header if they want to click or not, or ditto if they are just scrolling through.

If enough users agree with your post... I will be happy to change the posts to weekly just At the Game Gamut this week TUEs and Thurs or something...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just trying to get the word out and support my local gaming group and FLGS!

Thanks!

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
fleefrank22001 wrote:
If enough users agree with your post...

I agree very strongly for multiple reasons.

In addition I'd like it to be known that if I hadn't been out all day, I would have blocked and marked read this post before OverEngineered replied. I only read your thread this week because I saw that there were replies. Please consider that there may be many other people who may agree that it's better for you to bump your thread and didn't reply.

I'm tired and the rest of my post is long and probably poorly written. Feel free to not read it.

#1 - In my opinion, it is very spammy. 9 of the last 50 threads (first page of threads) were started by you.

If I followed your example, I would be posting 3-5 threads each week for the different groups which are within a 20 minute drive from me. Imagine if another dozen people did that. It would be a mess.

#2 - Bumping is much better. I don't like bumping, but at least I can block your thread, then when you bump it, I wouldn't notice. However, each time you start a new thread, I have to block the new one, and then click mark read. (Why isn't there a "Block & Mark Read" button?) If you were to bump, I don't think it needs to be done that regularly. Perhaps once every 6 months (again, a completely subjective opinion based), if there is some news.

Also, don't take it personally that I block your threads. I block every thread in the NE for a location that's more than an hour from me. That means I block >95% of them. Just like in Hot Deals, I'll block threads for games I have, games I don't like, iOS apps (I don't have any devices which use iOS), etc.

#3 - Again, in my opinion, the regional threads, at least the Northeast seem to function much better for people who are looking for groups (e.g. Hi, I'm in location XYZ, and I'm looking for people to game with) than for people who are advertising them (e.g. your posts). It's easy for a new user to search for Upstate NY to find about your group.

#4 - I believe that your frequent posts with few responses gives the game night a worse image. Instead of searching and finding a bunch of threads with very few replies, if there was only one thread for the NE region then it'll show more of a history. I think it would look nicer to see an old post that gets updated every now and then. It shows the particular game night has been around for a while and has stability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lankyb wrote:
fleefrank22001 wrote:
If enough users agree with your post...

I agree very strongly for multiple reasons.

In addition I'd like it to be known that if I hadn't been out all day, I would have blocked and marked read this post before OverEngineered replied. I only read your thread this week because I saw that there were replies. Please consider that there may be many other people who may agree that it's better for you to bump your thread and didn't reply.

#1 - In my opinion, it is very spammy. 9 of the last 50 threads (first page of threads) were started by you.

If I followed your example, I would be posting 3-5 threads each week for the different groups which are within a 20 minute drive from me. Imagine if another dozen people did that. It would be a mess.

#2 - Bumping is much better. I don't like bumping, but at least I can block your thread, then when you bump it, I wouldn't notice.

Also, don't take it personally that I block your threads. I block every thread in the NE for a location that's more than an hour from me. That means I block >95% of them.

#3 - Again, in my opinion, the regional threads, at least the Northeast seem to function much better for people who are looking for groups (e.g. Hi, I'm in location XYZ, and I'm looking for people to game with) than for people who are advertising them (e.g. your posts). It's easy for a new user to search for Upstate NY to find about your group.

#4 - I believe that your frequent posts with few responses gives the game night a worse image. Instead of searching and finding a bunch of threads with very few replies, if there was only one thread for the NE region then it'll show more of a history. I think it would look nicer to see an old post that gets updated every now and then. It shows the particular game night has been around for a while and has stability.

Brian,

Thanks for the reply!

It seems we are on opposite sides opinion-wise right now, but I appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

Re: #1 "If I followed your example, I would be posting 3-5 threads each week for the different groups which are within a 20 minute drive from me."

IMO from my perspective, that would be freakin' awesome! It would be great to see a lot more smaller local groups post so that BGG users would have more options as to what groups to go to .. and hopefully have more options distance wise and time-wise.

I know I live in a rural area and, to my knowledge, all there is locally is the Game Gamut. I'd love to hear about and know about other groups within 20 minutes (heck 45 minutes) from me.

Re: #2 Bumping.

The point of posting, for me, is to get peoples attention, and let them know something is coming up. So right now,... feel like we are on opposite sides on this one as well...

Maybe doing 1 post a week would be OK. Looking forward to more BGG user feedback.

Re: #3 Region Forum used to ask for local groups vs advertise local groups.

From what I've seen it is used both ways.

Re: #4 kinda bumping part 2

IMO from my perspective it's the opposite. Although I like to see threads with a lot of replies... a lot of replies doesn't necessarily indicate "staying power". It simply indicates a lot of people responded to that particular post at one time.

A series of new threads indicates the user and topic is "current".

Plus the only way to see if something is "current" via bumping is to actually click on the thread and check the most recent post to it.

Just some thoughts.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Frank
United States
Bloomfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Another great night at the Gamut!

I got there early and had to leave early, but who I met were:
Stephan, Allie, Lil' John, Dan, Derrick, Big John, Sally, Monica, and Zaida!

What we played while I was there:
Superfight (1 big group)
Once Upon a Time (1 big group)
Then split into 2 rooms/tables
Cutthroat Caverns
Ticket to Ride

Sally brought cookies!

Pretty sure Dave showed up after I left.

Good night!

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.